Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Just like Grandma's dish towels - Wednesday Is Baking Day. Well, I don't know for sure that it was Wednesday. But this morning the bananas had reached their peak of over-ripeness. Time to bake some Banana Nut Muffins using a recipe from my favorite cookbook.
Here's all the ingredients ready to be mixed.Guess who got to lick the bowl?
The first of two batches cooling on the counter before they go in the freezer.
Banana Pecan Muffins *
1/2 cup butter 1 cup sugar 2 eggs, beaten 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup pecans*, chopped 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter milk

*Use nuts of choice or omit, if you like. Today I used walnut.

Grease muffin cups or line with paper.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in bananas, pecans, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture. Mix just to moisten.
Spoon batter into muffins cups. Bake until lightly golden and muffins test done, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool slightly.
This afternoon I'm going to drop off the paperwork to join a local community supported agriculture program. We have used CSA in the past and enjoyed it very much. We stopped because the pickup point was a fair distance and a very inconvenient time. Searching the internet earlier this week I found another cooperative that has a pickup location that is easy for me to reach and doesn't require that I negotiate the freeway during heavy commuter traffic.
I'm looking forward to picking up my weekly box of fruits and vegetables. You never know what you'll get until you get there. It's fun to come home and plan meals around fresh, seasonal produce. It can be a challenge at times, but it sure keeps you from being in a rut of preparing the same 4 or 5 dishes again and again. Check to see if there is a program in your area. It really is fun.
The other item on today's agenda is to finish basting the Secret Deadline Project. At the last minute I decided to add a little more applique to the top which the last stitches went into last evening. Here's the back - all ready to go.
The project has grown much larger than I originally anticipated. Still shy of twin size, it is certainly a very generous lap quilt. I think I can still finish on time. Better get busy.

*** Rabbit Stitchings asked, "What is that ratings thing at the bottom of the post?" I don't know! It seems to have appeared from nowhere and I'm not sure I want it. If anyone knows how to remove it, send me a note. Thanks.

***This morning it disappeared just as mysteriously as it showed up. Go figure.

32 comments:

Stina said...

They look really yummie...have to try that one...without some nuts...;D Want to be alive a little longer...;D
About the vegetables...that seems to be an very good idea...like that....and oh boy...am I the only one who is curious about that quilt...;D

Susie said...

The muffins look really good! I have some ripe bananas to use, so I think I'll try them.
Thanks for sharing.
xop

Beth said...

Those muffins look yummy! I would come across them with today being my first day of trying Weight Watchers (on my own)! I can't wait to see the secret quilt!

Catherine said...

Those muffins look delicious! I think I have to try that recipe -- thank you for sharing it! I've heard about the CSA's and plan to look into it here once we get to the point that there's anything fresh growing locally.

Marilyn R said...

I am soooo looking forward to see what that Secret Deadline Project looks like!

Sweet P said...

Thanks for the tip on CSA farms. I found two close to my home. One is already sold out for the year, but we may sign up with the other one. I'm all for buying locally.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

yummmmmy on the banana muffins!!!

Okay so what is that rating thing at the bottom of your post? I am very behind on blogger stuff?

paula, the quilter said...

I need to get some of the bananas from the freezer. When they start to over-ripen into the freezer they go if there is no time to bake. When is the reveal on the 'super secret project'?

Yvonne said...

And I thought you were so smart....lol :)

Your muffins looks great....I'm going to give them a try. Thanks so much for the info on the CSA....I never knew about them. I found one in the next town and I signed up. :)

Nines said...

Yum!! I was just looking at muffin recipes, today! Comfort food, I suppose. Thanks for the CSA- I'll be looking into that. Quilts do have a way of growing, don't they?

Sherry said...

Those muffins look so yummy. Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it. Banana Nut muffins are my favorite. I just love pieced quilt backs. Can't wait to see the secret quilt.

Stephanie said...

I've never heard of a CSA before, though I have been to "pick your own" stuff, and I try to hit the local truck market 2 of the 4 Saturdays each month. I'm interested to see how that works out for you, even though you've done it before. Hope you post lots about it as the season progresses.

Knot Garden said...

I must try that recipe. I like making muffins as they are quick and freeze well. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Screen Door said...

The muffins look delicious -- We should me eating them with a mug of starbucks listening to those Disney pianists, *S*, Yes?!?!?

The Calico Cat said...

We joined a CSA too. (our first time) There are a lot to choose from in our area, but most of them were full by the time we looked into it.

Karen said...

I have never heard of CSA. Sounds intriguing. The muffins look so good. You must love to cook and bake. Thanks for sharing the pictures and recipe. Inspiring.
I am staying tuned for the reveal of the secret project!

Darlene said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Save some for me.

Quilts do have a way of growing and growing and growing. Can't wait to see it. Hurry!!! LOL

Carin said...

MMMmmmm banana nut muffins!!! They look wonderful!

LBP said...

Those muffins look delicious! YUM!

Blessings

Linda

Shanda said...

I stumbled upon your blog, and so glad I did. I have been blog hoping this week for some new interesting reads. Just wanted you to know how much I enjoyed reading and visiting.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

The muffins look delicious, you're teasing us with the secret project!!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I was on the same mission to finish a quilt, but you reminded me I also have over ripe bananas and muffins might just be on the agenda as well.

yellowfarmhouse said...

Those muffins look yummy Libby and I'm putting the recipe in the box. Thanks - My youngest loves banana bread and these would be a nice change to bring him. You've made great progress on the secret project. You go girl :)

Hugs - Karen

Quilts And Pieces said...

Mmmm, bannanna nut muffins! with walnuts! my fav!

Guðrún said...

They look so yummy, bananas and nuts are a good combination.

Wendy K said...

Just had to tell you that I had ripe bananas today too! As soon As I read your recipe I got stuck straight in,...we now have a home full of yummed-up tummies! (eaten so fast by the kids the muffins didn't have time to cool!) A great recipe, and sure to be used alot in our home...thankyou!

Wendy said...

Mmmm...my favourite muffins with banana, the picture looks good enough to eat.

Can't wait to see that secret project...such a tease.

atet said...

Those muffins look delicious and so do the quilts you've been working on! (I can't wait to see the secret project!) I've been so far behind my blog reading for so long and coming back to yours reminds me of how much I've been missing!

Sonnja said...

The muffins look really yummie.
Kind regards,

Sonnja, from the Netherlands
Beertje Zonn

julieQ said...

Yummy good! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I have a couple of bananas that are just begging to jump into the bowl!

Finn said...

Hi Libby, what a fun coincidence, I just made a loaf of banana bread on Mother's Day and wondered to myself..."self, could this be baked in muffin tins instead?" Since a muffin is a more appreciate and useful serving than a slice....LOL
I read your recipe with interest, and it's quite similar. Mine has less sugar, more banana, and NO added liquid...can't remember your egg count, mine has 2...I think it would work as muffins with a shorter baking time. If not, I can use your recipe *VBS* Thanks Libby!!! Big happy hugs, Finn

Nines said...

I made those muffins for the kids, last weekend. They were a big hit. Of course I had to double the recipe, and there were none to store in the freezer...