Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day is over and now the fun begins. Well, the day itself was very lovely and filled with special treats. But the fun of playing with those special treats will bring back warm memories of the day.
Some years back, it occurred to me that I much prefer to be at home than out with the brunch crowd on occasion days. Above most all other meals, I enjoy fixing breakfast and on Mother's Day it's no different. Just as we finished up the last bites, Hubby told me to close my eyes and hold out my hands. When I opened them, I spied this longed for book The Bread Bible. I have dropped some hints here and there about this book recently. And also talked of purchasing a food scale for measuring ingredients. After a quick cleanup of self and kitchen, we went on a shopping excursion to purchase a food scale. My baking arsenal is growing and improving all the time.I have long hungered to make a good, light and tasty loaf of bread. I could hardly wait to dive into the pages. With just a little bit of reading, I already feel better equipped. I have always understood that yeast is a living, breathing thing that is to be respected. Still I had innocently been killing the yeast with my methods leaving only the heartiest among them to attempt to raise the dough. Now armed with complete information and instructions, I hope that the yeast will thrive and *burp* happily away yielding wonderful results for our table.
It was afternoon here when The Princess finished her work day and was able to call. A box had been dropped by UPS earlier in the week and I was finally able to open it. Of course, it turned out to be a box in a box in a box with lots of tissue, bubble wrap and pretty, crinkly shredded paper before I reached the prize: Tess - the garden whirligig. Isn't she darling? When the breeze hits the flower on the end it spins around and lets Tess water her garden.
It is always fun to chat with The Princess, to hear about her day, her upcoming travel plans and the most important talk of all: who should win Survivor. Communication is so easy these days. I think nothing (well, I do calculate the 9 hour time difference) of picking up the phone and giving her a call to ask a question or report a silly little triumph in my day. I well remember when Hubby and I were first married and he was serving in Japan. The going rate was more than a couple dollars per minute and one single call could easily mount up a bill that was overwhelming. Now we are just weeks away from having her back on the same continent, same country, same time zone, same state, same zip code. It's going to be fun to have her so near.
Let me leave you with the first recipe prepared from the new book - Pizza Bianca - white pizza - served with a little green salad on the side, it was simply delicious.
I hope to have some fabric/quilt related photos next time, but I've been having such fun in the kitchen of late there has been precious little quilting to share.

21 comments:

dee said...

White pizza is one of my favorites Libby..YUM! The other we make sometimes is chicken marsala Pizza. It is truly to die for.
Tess is darling and your Daughter sounds like a wonderful person. How great that she will be home soon.

Joyce said...

I have looked at that book more than once but the price scared me off. I regularly bake bread but it would be fun to try some different ones.

Beth said...

It sounds like you had a very nice Mother's Day! You got the book you wanted, and your food scale, and that *adorable* little Tess, oh my gosh, and that pizza looks to die for, and a call from your daughter, what a perfect day!

Susie said...

Glad you had a great Mother's Day!
Tess looks like such a fun addition to your garden! I know you must be so excited to have your daughter returning home. Is it for a visit or more permanent?
Your pizza looks delish. Looking forward to more pictures of your kitchen creations!
xo

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Well sounds like you had a great Mothers Day!

We too prefer to stay at home and eat on special days, we find the crowds over whelming too! Not to mention with me being vegetarian and then add in all the other food restrictions LOL...well its just easier :O)....

I LOVE your food scale! You have to post on how you find it to be as you use it! I have been eyeing some but wasn't sure what kind to get or even what type options and such it needed to have! Let me know how you like it!

I bet that you could stay busy with that recipe book for a while!

Tess is cute as a bugs ear!

Congrats on your daugther moving back to the states soon :O)...

paula, the quilter said...

What a wonderful Mother's Day you had. I had an early Mother's Day surprise visit from TheKid (he lives 6 hours away) and received a rose from him. Mother's Day was spent weeding. Meh.

Juliann in WA said...

that pizza looks yummy!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

That pizza looks yummy!!!!!!!
I love the gift from your daughter. How cute is that?
Happy belated Mothers Day Libby.

Stina said...

Oh...you had a wonderful Mothers Day I can see...that book looks like "THE BOOK" of breadbaking...so it will be fun and mouthwatering to see what you will be making from it...and it started out nice!! YummY...
A perfect gift to you on your Day...she is lovely...your Tess!
In Sweden we will celebrate Mothers Day at the end of May...

Knot Garden said...

The pizza looks yummy. I make bread in a bread machine, but I should try making proper bread dough myself, then there would be lots more possibilities.

Nines said...

Wonderful book! I love reading recipe books! And making bread- one of my favorite things. Hope you have many wonderful meals around the dinner table with golden loaves of fresh baked bread.... ah, now that's spells HOME. Love the whirligig- my greatgrandfather used to make those- with a lumberjack chopping fire wood.

The Calico Cat said...

Send some pizza & no one will get hurt. Seriously, that pizza looks awesome! (I heart mushrooms on my white pizza.)

Karen said...

Okay, I totally covet the whirlygig. Also your yard and all yard decorations. Also want the pizza.

Carole said...

Oh.... that book has been on my wish list. I love to bake bread. What time do you want me over for the pizza bianca? ;o) Tess is adorable! Happy mother's day!

Catherine said...

That white pizza looks delicious! Your garden looks so wonderful -- and Tess is a great addition.

Darlene said...

Oh I see lots and lots of baking in your future. Yummy!!!

I'm glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day, Libby!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Tess is wonderful! I LOVE her! And the bread book looks so yummy! Nothing like homemade bread. However I only go so far as bread machine bread! And survior - I am such a huge survivor fan. I wanted Cerie or Amanda to win. And can you belive it - stupid Parviti won. Ughhhh. But nothing says mother's day than 3 hours of survivor!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

The pizza looks divine! Your whilygig is just the best, too! Happy Mother's Day, Libby!! Can't wait to see more yeasty delights from your kitchen!

ROZ said...

I remember being in the kitchen with my grandma and watching her make the most wonderful bread. She would cover the dough and put it in a sunny spot and it would rise up wonderfully.

Guðrún said...

Tess is so great! I am not surprised that you are looking forward for the homecoming of the princess.

Stephanie said...

I've never heard of white pizza--sounds interesting! And I love the whirligig--what a nice addition to your garden.