Thursday, May 15, 2008

They're here! I picked up my first box of CSA fruits and veggies this afternoon. Such a wonderful assortment they have provided for us.Head lettuce, two kinds of greens, a sack of herbs, cucumbers, zucchini, avocados and onions round out the vegetables. Grapefruit, oranges, lemons, cherries and apricots fill the fruit portion. Oh how I wanted to eat every one of those apricots on my way home and pretend like it didn't happen.
This organization is just a little different from the last one we used. They work as a co-op and pick up produce from several local sources. Just like they claim on their website, this allows them to offer a much greater variety in their weekly deliveries. If this week's box is indicative of their regular supply, I can see that we will be with them for a long time to come.
On the quilting front, my work on the Secret Deadline Project continues. Hand quilting is slow, but so very satisfying. It will be well worth the effort in the end.
On Tuesday night I was happily quilting away and decided I should stop and give my sore finger a little break. The next thing I knew, I had crawled beneath the quilt to have a look from below. I loved to do this when I was little with a tattered old basket quilt from the '30s. When the light shines through, you can see the outlines of applique and dark lines where seams are pressed together. To my child's eye it looked just like the big stained glass windows at Grandma's church.
Soon I crawled back out, went for the camera, back under again so I could try to take a picture. It wasn't long before Hubby inquired, 'What are you doing under there?' I guess from his vantage point all that rustling, flash firing and shutter clicking didn't bring out the wonder that I was seeing beneath those layers of fabric. It's still a magical sight to me.

26 comments:

Catherine said...

Those veggies look so wonderful! It will be a couple more months before we have local produce.

Bren said...

I love that "underneath a quilt" view too.

Stephanie said...

Well, if I thought I could get back out without divine intervention, I might crawl under, too.

What a terrific variety in your box! Sounds like a keeper to me.

Stina said...

Ohh..thanks for a wonderful post...our dear DH...what do they think about us...*LOL*...Thanks Libby...for a different view..*S*
Lovely veggies...sure looks promising!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

LOL..that's funny. I can just imagine the confused look one might get! Though it is something I'd do too. Thanks for sharing.

The Calico Cat said...

We have to wait until the 25th fo rour first CSA. HARUMPH!

(Our location to pick-up is being taken over by "Taste of Wheaton" & the weather has been wet & cold.)

dee said...

What a delicious post! Lucky you. It made me laugh to think of you under that quilt. The things we do for blog pictures.

Juliann in WA said...

Okay, I am going to sign up to get vegies locally too. I have been thinking about it but just haven't done it but your picture has motivated me. There is one just down the road so first thing next week, I am there.

Julia said...

I used to love to crawl under there too! Such a fun little "house" to play in with my dolls. It is a magical place!

Karen said...

I want the cherries!

I have looked underneath a quilt with the light shining through. It certainly is a different view. What wonderful memories it stirs for you.

Carole said...

I think it's important to keep the kid inside of us alive. It allows us to see the magic in the world. I know mine is active! ;o) I cannot wait to see you secret project! Have a great weekend!

Ahava Hopps Brooke said...

That produce is gorgeous. Can you say what organization you used?

paula, the quilter said...

The CSA I used in the past was a bit of a disappointment. There were a lot of 'exotic' things and very little of the basics. I just go to the farmer's market now. CarGuy would think that if I crawled under the quilt frame I had totally lost my mind. O course, I don't use the big frame too much any more except to baste.

Marilyn R said...

I like to look at the back of my quilt while hand quilting too! Many times it is as pretty as the front!

Guðrún said...

I am not surprised that he asked you what you were doing?

Lea said...

You done so many baking while I was out of blogland!Yum....*S*
Those Veggies looks so delighted!

Yvonne said...

It's looks wonderful...cherries....I'm sure we won't be getting any of those.

Love the quilt picture and thinking of you underneath it. :)

Red Geranium Cottage said...

LOL!!! My hubby asks me "what are you doing?" all the time!!!!

Mar said...

I bought some apricots on Thursday and ate them before I got home. Only 3 since they were $3 something a lb. Oh but worth the first taste. Lucky you to be able to be involved in that service. Interesting site, under your quilt. That backing fabric looks like Praire Paisley?

Susie said...

What a great assortment of fresh produce :) Wish we had that resource nearby..
Love your photo perspective from under the quilt.
We've been blazing hot up here, so I don't think that's a shot I would have even thought about the last couple days!!
xo

Nines said...

I almost always hold my blocks up the light when they are finished... they're just so pretty that way! I giggled out loud when your husband caught you under the covers with the camera- almost snorted tea out my nose! And bread DOES look heavenly!

gwen said...

Your box does indeed looks georgeous. I have an organic box suscribtion over here too and it is delivered to our door once a week. As it is almost only local products, we have a lot of cabbage over winter! Still through them I discovered some vegetable I did not know.
Taking a picture from under the quilt sounds like a fun idea! Take care.

LBP said...

I visited our local farmers market today. It is such a feast for the eyes and well as the palate!

I love your underneath view of your quilt. My cousin and I used to sit under my grandmothers quilts as she and her friends were quilting them and play dolls. (And listen to the neighborhood gossip)LOL

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Hi, I am having a quiet giggle to myself about you under the quilt taking pics!!
Love your yummy stash of vegies...those apricots would never have gotten home here!
All your bread is making me hungry! Tracey

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

That first picture looks like the quilt I am making. Pretty colors!

Wendy said...

The local produce looks wonderful, I know you enjoy everyone.
My hubby still looks at me funny when I get my quilts dirty with tea.