Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Today the sun broke through early. We never know what to expect in the months of May and June. Yesterday not a single golden ray made it's way through the fog cover and there was even a small sprinkle just before bedtime. This morning with the sun out strong, I thought I'd go out and see how things are growing in the garden.
Here's one of my little cucumber plants. After an assault from that dastardly squirrel, I gently swathed them in tulle. There are still sad little stubs in places where there should be healthy looking leaves. But look straight down the center and you'll spy the very first little blossom.Last year I didn't come up with a way to protect the cucumbers and lost the plants. This year I am remaining vigilant. Score one for Libby.
Now look at my little hydrangea plant.
When I brought it home from the nursery last year, it was a large, vibrant and healthy plant. It was very unhappy with the place I chose to plant it. Even though it looked like a complete goner, I took a chance and moved it too a new spot. All winter it looked like a small bundle of sticks sprouting from the ground. It must have had just a little bit of life left in it when I replanted and now I have been rewarded with two sweet little blooms. I think it's going thrive in it's new location.
It's the time of year for the Jacarandas to bloom.
They are so pretty. Particularly when you can get a view of several growing in the distance.
Soon this whole tree will be covered in lovely purple blooms.
The downside . . .
they are the messiest trees. All those little purple blooms fall, turn brown and leave stains on the sidewalks. Soon there will be no green grass visible in this corner of the yard.
I entertained myself today with a recipe from The Bread Bible.
Oh how I wish my blog had a scent feature. The entire house smells just heavenly. I haven't tried a slice yet. Still I am pleased with my results and feel there has been an improvement over previous recipes. I'm already anxious to have another go with it. I know I made a couple of errors that probably lead to the loaves not rising as high as they could have. The learning curve for me seems quite steep.
I have been playing with fabric, too. Isn't this little pinwheel sweet?
I stumbled upon a new to me blog recently, PolkaDotPineapple and found a post where she shared a photo of her fabric pinwheel. I followed the links to the tutorial. So simple to do - and still the learning curve for me is steep. I meant to have the fabrics alternate. I know next time just what to do. They are too cute to not make more. And it really spins, too. What more could a girl ask for?

15 comments:

Catherine said...

I have to go try that pinwheel idea! I can't even imagine how good that bread must smell.

Susie said...

Such a cute pinwheel! It will be perfect for 4th of July :)
Those squirrels are so hungry around here too. They nibbled the stalk on my amaryllis. Hope it survives!
Your bread looks just yummy!
xo

QuiltingFitzy said...

I tried the "scratch-n-sniff" feature. I smelled it! I swear I did.

>
>
>
>
Oh, that's dh's sourdough starter perkin' on the back of the counter..d'oh!

May Britt said...

The weather is very odd here too. From having sun and summer temperature we now have very cold wind. It was minus 3 this night. So I long for summer. The pinwheel is so cute.

Stina said...

I love hydrangeas...but have never tried them ...even indoors...;D They say they are really picky little flowers...so congratulations!! And congrats to your battle with the squirrel!! Hope the bread tastes just as good as it looks..;D
Thanks for the link!

Stephanie said...

What pretty blooms that brave little hydrangea put out! It must like its new home. Around here, the soil is acidic, so the blooms are blue. I think I need one of those for my yard.

What did you change about its location?

Screen Door said...

I love the tulle-- definitely the best dressed garden......Cute pinwheel...

paula, the quilter said...

The tulle is a brilliant solution. Those loaves look beautiful and probably do smell great. I don't eat much bread because I would eat the whole loaf and turn out looking like a blimp. Have you tried putting the pinwheel in the garden to scare off the squirrel?

LBP said...

Send a loaf of that bread and no one will get hurt! LOL! I got a pink hydranga for Mothers Day, I hope it likes the spot I have chosen! I love the fabric pinwheel idea!

Blessings'

Linda

Darlene said...

So, how was the bread???? Yummy, I'm sure. :-)

Love the tulle around the cukes! You must use your water blaster on the dastardly squirrel. LOL

Very cute pinwheel - need to check out the tutorial.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh that bread just looks yummy! And that pinwheel is so darn cute! I'm not even mentioning the little green thumb! I'm hopeless in that area!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Love the Pinwheel!!! Must go check out the tutorial on that! Thanks...

The bread looks wonderful..mmmm...

Your Hydrangea is being true to from :O)...they really are quite hard to kill. Where we lived before I had them all over the place and seemed to move them a lot for one reason or another and when we moved here I dug up some and brought them with me :O)...they are in the front flower bed now. They really are quite hardy...but as you said they do like certain spots better than others :O)...

That was a great way to protect your cucumber!

Finn said...

Hi Libby, the bread looks wonderful...I can't imagine you need to get any better at making it.
And what a fun pinwheel...love the display it's part of also. Too bad we didn't know how to do this when the kids were little. Maybe I'll check it out with the DGKs in mind *VBS*
Hope you're having a snappy, happy day! Hugs, Finn

Chookyblue...... said...

goodluck with your cucumber.......I wished I had smelly internet the other day when I made some scones........lol.......and jacarandas are my favourite tree in the garden..........messy but I can live with that.........

Marcie said...

Squirrels! Nothing is safe from them! I saw those purple trees blooming all over Arizona. They are beautiful! And I love your little hydrangia! I am so glad it survived. I have three that are just budding. They are not as beautiful as the one I had in Seattle, but I like them!