Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wow! I never realized what a universally loved piece of equipment a clothesline is until this week. What fun to read all your comments of enjoying one or supporting me (and countless others in the same situation) in being able to continue using mine. I say it often, but I think it bears repeating - it is often the simplest things that can give us the greatest joy.
There has been precious little sewing going on around here this week. My little quilting hand has been sore. I don't want to end up with a serious repetitive motion injury, so I have tried to find other ways to stay busy and amuse myself.
After finding only bare stems on my cucumber plants, I have launched an all out assault on the squirrels. I spied from my kitchen window one of the enemy combatants stealing from the neighbor's bird feeder. He looks like the same fella that I drenched with a hose earlier today.
Boy that was fun. These guys don't seem to learn very quickly that they are not welcome around these parts.
I'd like to introduce Hootie, the latest addition to the garden pest patrol. I had hoped he might strike fear into the squirrels but that does not seem to be the case. He will still be worth his cost if he saves the apricots from the birds.
While I didn't spend anytime sewing this week, I did occupy my time in the kitchen. Along with another round of bread making. I tested out a recipe for Stuffed Squash Blossoms. With just a little searching, I found one that did not call for frying them. Instead they are baked in the oven. I chose to omit the bruschetta, but decided to add that garlic to the filling. They were quite tasty and I'm sure we will enjoy them again before the summer is through.

The fruits and veggies in the basket are this week's delivery from Garden of Eden. It's like a little surprise to open that box and see what the week's bounty will be. Now to get them incorporated into our daily meals.
And finally I have refilled that ever empty jar on the kitchen counter. Seems like that empty canister shows up in a lot of my kitchen photos. Frankly I was getting tired of looking at it. I pulled out a recipe for granola from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and got to work. We have been enjoying it on cereal in the mornings or a little yogurt as dessert in the evenings. Looks like that jar is going to stay filled now.

17 comments:

Stina said...

Don´t give up on them squirrels!!!
Ohh...I wish I liked to be in the kitchen making wonderful food...like you... salute to you!!
And take care of that hand of yours...

Nines said...

Mmmm...sounds so good. Squash in any form is a good thing! love homemade granola- and those big jars. I have a few of them, myself. We fill them with dried fruit. Abe, the babe, is always asking for a plum. My friend gets the organic food delivered- she lives in OR, and her cats look forward to it as much as she does! Enjoy your weekend- get those pesky squirrels!

Niki said...

I have a new blog to list your quilt blog, if you are interested, I'd love to have you join us! http://justusquilters.blogspot.com/
hugs!
niki

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Your kitchen is forever yielding some of the most delicious sounding treats. Yep, that squirrel still looks a little wet behind the ears...

Rabbit Stitchings said...

I am still amazed the squirrels ate your cucumber plants! Seems like those plants being furry would deter them! I did notice your squirrels look a little different than our do here. Though given we live in different areas I guess that would make sense LOL...

I love squash blossoms mmm yummy... I had squash blossom soup that was so good and sadly I do not have the recipe!

Your Owl looks like he can do the job of scaring the birds off from the apricots!

Your fresh veggies look wonderful!! and I am thinking that jar of yours will be hard to keep full LOL with yummy granola in it LOL :O)

paula, the quilter said...

I am so glad that I did not have a garden coming up. We had hail 3 different times yesterday. Of course, we also had about 6 tornadoes, one of which made national news. I live 10 miles from the devastation. But I am baking a birthday cake this weekend for CarGuy. And getting the garden planted, finally. We tried an owl to scare off the flickers (a species of woodpecker). Didn't work, but flapping sheet metal does work, but it really annoys the neighbors. But the darn things are ruining the house and garage -- we have cedar siding. Never thought about woodpeckers when we sided the house. *sigh*

Wendy said...

Those squirrels really are a pest. What about setting up a feeder just for the squirrels? Maybe they would stay away if there were already full. I love granola with yogurt. I should dig out my recipe.

Stephanie said...

Well, stuffed squash blossoms are a new one on me. I'd be willing to try them, I think, but I doubt the meat and potatoes guy I'm married to would look at them twice.
It's a good thing squirrels are so cute; otherwise they'd be extinct.

ROZ said...

The squash blossoms look good. I used to grow squashes in my garden. But we always ate the little squashes, not the flowers. I had a chain link fence, and the little edible gourds would climb up on it. And we had to keep an eagle eye on the zucchini, or it would hide under the leaves and try to grow as big as baseball bats!

Guðrún said...

It looks like it will be a big struggle in your garden this summer.

McIrish Annie said...

those squirrels are pesky! My DH uses a trap and we have a squirrel relocation program going on, Kind of like witness protection. He takes them to work with him and sets them free in the park near his work.

yellowfarmhouse said...

Hmmm interesting on the stuffed squash blossoms - not sure about those, LOL. You know hubs feeds the squirrls and birds during the winter - and they stick around all year - but I don't have a lovely garden for them to munch on - thank goodness. Hopefully hootie will do his job with the birds.

Hugs - karen

Finn said...

I've got to say tha squirrels really are persistant in working at what they want. I'm sure you will prevail tho, given enough time. Love Hootie...LOL. He looks fierce!!
The squash blossoms looks interesting. Never tried them but I find nasturiums to be tasty. Have a great weekend, hugs, Finn

Cheryl said...

Let's hope Hootie does the trick with those varments :-)! Hope that your quilting hand gets to feeling better. Lots of yummy cooking going on in your parts!

Bren said...

Gray squirrels are pests but red squirrels are sweet. They understand people and as long as you give them a 1/2 a PB sandwich every morning they leave the garden alone. Maybe they understand us too much!
I am going to check out that Garden of Eden link.

atet said...

I'm rooting for you in the battle of the squirrels! Go Libby! As for the clothesline, how I wish I could have one -- but, since we live in a townhouse and have NO yard we can actually call "our own" it is just not to be. Sigh.

Diane said...

Here's a naive question from a nongardener: Doesn't eating squash blossoms diminish your yield of mature squash? You've also convinced me that my morning yogurt would taste better with granola than with oats alone. I'll get my kids right on that!