Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I have begun to wonder if I may be turning into an 'accidental vegetarian.' Here is a look at our most recent CSA box. Can you believe it? Rainier cherries - heavenly! Those didn't last long since it was easy and tasty to just grab a couple anytime the fridge was opened.I washed all the greens - a lettuce head, spinach, kale and something I have determined to be weeds - they are in a bowl that makes it handy to make up a salad for lunch or dinner by just adding in some avocado, tomato, cucumber, onion, or whatever else sounds good at the moment. The peaches and nectarines were used to bake up a crisp using a recipe I found online.
I've been picking lots of squash - zucchini and yellow crook-neck. All of the zucchini have been made into bread. As the loaves are cooled, I cut them in half, wrap in cling wrap and seal into a freezer bag. They will be a tasty reminder of the garden come winter. The yellow crook-neck is great steamed, sauteed or made into soup. Another online recipe formed the basis of a delicious dinner this weekend.
A little peek at the peppers and tomatoes. It will still be a bit before the tomatoes are ripe, but the peppers have been abundant. They made their way into the squash soup and a recipe that was suggested to me by Dawn from Quilts and Pieces.
Doesn't it look yummy? Just a couple of easy substitutions to accommodate what I had on hand. Voila - Hubby and I enjoyed this for dinner and a couple of lunches, too. Thanks Dawn!
I was out in the yard first thing this morning for the Tuesday Tour of the garden. Look at how everything has grown in the new planter box and trellis since last week. It's hard to tell, but I have been thinning the radishes. Hubby has decided that the beans stalks might be growing from magic beans. Maybe we'll be able to climb them and find the goose that laid the golden egg.
Last but not least, new this week - corn and a new cilantro crop. I was late deciding on corn. It certainly won't be knee high by 4th of July, but it will be tasty and fun to watch grow no matter what.
On the quilting front, there are no new photos. But the Four Seasons Summer Swap top is complete. I have it in a place where I can see it throughout the day. I'm waiting for it to 'speak' to me about how it would like to be quilted. There's time, so I'm not worried. I've been mulling over some new project ideas. I know, I know - those UFO's. Still a new project never hurt anyone. Stay tuned.

18 comments:

loulee1 said...

Oooh! Yummy, fresh vegetables.

Stina said...

Wow..Libby...fantastic vegetables...and I wouldn´t have problems being a vegetarian with this kind of richness!! Wow ...again...;D
And you are finished...with your 4SSQS top...ohh... better get some speed here...

McIrish Annie said...

Your csa produce looks great! couldn't find one close to me that had spots but the local farmers' market starts today!! Yeah! I'll stop on my way home from work and I've got a little something growing in my boxes. I'll post pics tonight!

Fiona said...

That box of fruit and veg looks so delicious - we've been eating potatoes fresh from the allotment - so tasty I believe I could eat a plateful all by themselves.

Judy said...

Everything is coming up very nicely...looks wonderful!

Screen Door said...

Outstanding garden... What fun. My seedlings are just now up.

Catherine said...

Oooh -- those veggies look SO wonderful! And the cherries -- sometimes we get those here and they are unbelievably good!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Libby everything is coming up great and looks DEE-LISH. I love this time of year for us - lots of fresh and wonderful fruit and vegies. Good for you to be ahead of the game on your swap. I could learn something from you, LOL.

Hugs - Karen

Guðrún said...

It will be great if you can find the goose and the golden eggs! Beware of the giant that owns it, I think he isn´t so nice.

paula, the quilter said...

It's the funniest thing: after not having veggies for a while one can actually crave them. Your veggies look so delicious. I can't wait for my garden to start producing.

Carole said...

Lovely garden. Ours should be at that point by the end of July. Things are slow in the Northern frontier! Thanks for sharing!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Well all I can say is YUMMY!!! Such wonderful veggies!!

I am now down to the quilting part of the four seasons swap as well :O)... oh boy!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh man your salad looks great! Forgot to tell you another hint! My sister told me to buy Jasmine Rice and it tastes even better!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

No harm in a new project or two at all! Those UFO's will keep. Mine certainly do! All those fresh fruits and veggies look delicious, enjoy!

Stephanie D. said...

MMmmmm, looks good! I'm going to try the lasagna gardening I found on another site, but that won't be til next year. It's too late to plant here, but I do grow fresh herbs in pots on my deck, so that has been nice to have.

Saturdays there's a tailgate market in one of the parking lots and I got lots of greens this past week, and am looking forward to fresh veggies as they become available.

I just love this part of summertime!

Nicole said...

Your CSA box looks a heck of a lot better than mine. I am just getting artichokes (TONS of artichokes), stawberries, kale and mystery lettuces. I did figure out something to do with kale, and it wasn't bitter or slimy or anything bad. In fact, it was good! I cooked up some pinto beans, and added onions, cilantro, kale and feta cheese.

Nines said...

Lovely pictures- they just say, "Summer."

Karen said...

I wish I lived near you. I would be a permanent dinner guest.
I love Ranier cherries!