Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It's time for the Tuesday tour of the garden. It has only been 3 weeks since we put in the new planter box. In years past I have had tomato plants and dabbled a couple of times with a squash plant. This is my first real garden since I was a little girl.Still I am filled with an almost childlike wonder when I remember that one month ago, this was an ugly pile of rocks.Speaking of squash, I was starting to feel inundated with the harvest. I've been baking zucchini bread a couple of times per week, searched out new recipes, a large grocery sack was filled to share with a neighbor and still I'm overwhelmed. I found directions on the Internet for freezing summer squashes. I plan to give that a try this week. Imagine summer squash from the garden in the middle of winter.
All of that adds up to much of my time being spent out in the backyard and the kitchen and not much time spent quilting. I do have a couple of quilts to share.
First is a 'Learn To Quilt Sampler' that came from Keepsake Quilting. It arrived in monthly kits and was designed to build skills and techniques each month. The colors are very 'primary' and not what I would choose on my own. The quilt has been folded up on a shelf ever since it was completed in 2000. Rather than let it languish there for all eternity, I decided to hang it on the fence. You can read the original idea here. This is now my view when I'm at the computer.
Another that I want to share is one of my all time favorites. It is made of Indian Hatchet blocks arranged on point. It is usually folded on the back of a chair in our bedroom.
The blocks that are on their side in the lower right hand corner were not supposed to be that way. I got in a hurry and didn't pay attention to what I was doing. I never have to worry about putting in a purposeful 'humility' block.
This morning I'm baking a couple of loaves of bread. The Princess will be here this afternoon. I'm taking the commuter train to meet Hubby and we'll go to the airport together. First on thing on her agenda will be Mexican food for dinner. Germany offers a lot of delicious foods - but for a California girl, chips and salsa are a way of life.

25 comments:

Julie Bagamary said...

Hi,
I just came across your blog and saw the Monkey Bites on June 4. I bought more bananas and magic shell today while in town and plan to make some! YUM
Julie

Stina said...

Your garden is flourishing...:0)
It´s the faults that make a quilt interesting...love it...
Enjoy spending time together...!!
Have a nice week!!

paula, the quilter said...

Love the Indian Hatchet quilt. It is (almost) the same block that is in the siggie quilt that is in the stack of 'to be quilted' quilts. Gosh, how many times can I put the word quilt in a sentence? *s* I have a wonderful soup recipe that takes chick peas, ground turkey (or beef, your choice) and zucchini (among other things). I send the recipe if you are interested.

paula, the quilter said...

O, and what is coming up in the clay pot?

Karen said...

Have a wonderful time this evening!

Guðrún said...

I agree the quilt made of Indian Hatchet blocks is beautiful and great that those blocks in the corner are turning the other way! I suppose the princess is home by now and you fixing Mexican dinner.

Carin said...

your garden is lovely! I love the sideways blocks on your indian hatchet quilt. I think it adds style.

Katie said...

Love those humility blocks. so much more interesting than without them. Welcome home Princess! Hope your garden makes it thu that heat. I don't know how you stand it. What did people do before AC? Beautiful weather here now.

Susie said...

Your garden looks so good! We aren't having quite that many squash yet, but the plants look really healthy.
Being a CA girl too, I love Mexican food just about the best of anything.
Have a wonderful reunion!!
xo

Quilt Memories said...

WELCOME, PRINCESS..... We are all glad you are back home. Enjoy!!!!
Bobbin

Catherine said...

The Indian Hatchet quilt is fantastic. I love the quirk of the blocks in the corner -- makes it more interesting.
Hope you have a great evening catching up with your Princess.

ROZ said...

I love the quilts! Especially the Indian Hatchet.

Julia said...

I am sooooooo excited for all of you to be reunited!!! Have a great time!

dot said...

The garden is growing nicely. I like the Indian Hatchet quilt. If you would not have said anything I would have thought it was supposed to be this way. That is what made me like it right away.

Stephanie D. said...

Hurray for the Homecoming Princess!

Your garden is doing great! Things grow so much more easily here than they did in Albuquerque, that I get excited just seeing the herbs grow in my containers!

I'm sorta partial to the Keepsake quilt myself--just love COLOR!

Lea of Farmhouse*Blessings said...

Your quilts are magnificent! So glad I found your blog.

Enjoy your sweet time with your little girl!

Smiles,
Lea

Carole said...

The Princess is coming home, Oh Libby, I'm so excited for you! Lovely garden. Summer squash are delicious on the grill! Or in a pasta primevera! ;o) What beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your time with the Princess! Cheers!

Karen said...

I went back and read your post about the quilts on the fence. I love the chicken quilt from that post!
Hope you had a wonderful day with your daughter.

Lisa D. said...

Oh Libby - there is something so charming about your quilt with the "wrong way" blocks. I just love it!

McIrish Annie said...

How exciting she is finally here! I'm sure you will have lots to do and talk about over the next few days... enjoY!!

and I have to laugh at your indian hatchet quilt, it just looks like some of those guys decided to exit stage right, maybe there was a sign for a quilt shop that the others didn't see!! LOL

and I think there is such a thing as tooo much zuchini!

Laura said...

Your garden is so nice, I need to come up with something small and manageable. Enjoy your daughter being home, lucky you!

Patti said...

Love the sideways humility blocks!

Your garden is a perfect size - small enough to care for easily but large enough to give you a nice crop. I used to let a few zuchini get to monster size before picking. Then I'd peel them, take out the seeds, then run them through the grater in the food processor. I'd divide it into 1 recipe sizes - seem like that was 2 cups - then I'd freeze each in a ziplock. Months later I'd take it out, thaw it, and make bread or cake. Yes, it separated and was watery. I just drained off the water and used what was left. Worked in the recipes just fine!

sara said...

I love that the blocks ont he last quilt are sideways, it really amkes it intersting and unique. Ah! A princess visit. I happen to be one of those too, and adore my visits with the king and queen. We have home cooking, we laugh and listen to our favorite music, there is nothing better then being home with them. ^_^
I have a block of the month kit that I signed up for, and haven't started! It's been since April!

atet said...

Oh those veggies look delicious -- and so do those quilts. I LOVE the sideways blocks on the Indian Hatchet quilt -- humility? Nope, design choice!

Finn said...

Hi Libby, I've been reading regularily, but not doing much commenting. Hope you understand *VBS* You're still on my list of favorite people *VBS*
Love the quilts you shared. I think it's natural to have those that 'just aren't me', and get laid to one side.
Each of these are wonderful in their own way. And it's not many of yours that I hear you 'not as happy as possible'...great track record, I think! Big hugs, Finn