Friday, June 13, 2008

Something wonderful is brewing. This morning I came upon three different blog posts announcing an opportunity for quilters to persuade American Quilter's Society to reprint Liberated Quilt Making by Gwen Marston. Gwen's liberated quilt making style opened up a world of freedom to me. The first quilt retreat I attended offered a class in applique taught by Gwen. The project had a folk art look that appealed to me. As a relatively new quilter at the time, I was not familiar with liberated quilt making. I feared spending the day having my head filled with edicts on thread colors and weights, needle type and size, and perfection in fabric selection and placement. Ultimately, I did not sign up for the class.
Still luck was on my side as one of the evening programs during the week featured Gwen as a speaker. She shared her beautiful quilts and her liberated quilt making outlook. I felt the weight of precision points, color wheel theory, and perfect symmetry fall from my shoulders when she told the group that it didn't matter one bit if a quilting pattern perfectly turned the corner. A gasp from the self-appointed undercover quilt police rose around the room. But now the secret was out - there were other quilters in the world like me.
On that evening, I made it my mission to find my way into one of Gwen's classes somehow. I was disappointed when she did not return to that same retreat the next year. But I did get the opportunity at another retreat a couple of years beyond that to take a class. Although my project remains unfinished, I learned a lot that day. I refer to my copy of her book often for inspiration and reassurance. It was a splendid and freeing day.
Please visit Tonya at Lazy Gal Quilting to find out more about getting this book reprinted so you that can add it to your library.

11 comments:

floribunda said...

Reading Tonya's blog has persuaded me to pull my copy of LQ off the bookshelf and read it again! Love your new header photo, by the way...

Catherine said...

I've signed up for a copy if they do reprint it. I love the "liberated" idea!

Stina said...

That sounds very interesting!!

Have to check it out!!
Thanks!

Finn said...

Hi Libby, a very nice promo for Gwen's book. I have nearly all of her books, having bought many of the "Twenty Little-----" from Dover Books at the silly price of #3.50 each.
I do love her Liberated book, and happily echo "make YOUR quilt YOUR way"!
She's a super, super gal and we here in the mid-west are happy to claim her *VBS*
Thanks for spreading the word. Hugs for you and Harper(good job Harper!), Finn

Wendy said...

This is just up my alley, I've never heard of this book or Gwen. Friends are often surprised when they see I don't follow the rules. I hope I can get this book.

Guðrún said...

I don´t know Gwen´s work, is it primitive?

Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Sounds like a book I might enjoy...I'd not heard of Gwen prior to your mentioning her, but now I'm off to Google!

Lazy Gal Tonya said...

wow, you are so lucky to have seen Gwen's quilts in person and attended a lecture. Her work is so amazing. Thanks for helping to spread the word.

Diane said...

Well said, Libby. Now pick up a needle and finish that Gwen inspired quilt!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I've read this plea now four times aroung bloggy world. Wow! It's amazing how many people desire to be liberated via Gwen. I'll buy the book again, lost my copy years ago when I loaned it out. It is fantabulous, and freeing. Love that scarecrow, Libby!

Robyn said...

Libby, I love your bubbles and your scarecrow!!
Makes me wanna go outside and dig in my overgrown vegie patch...only it's cold...so sewing it is for me for now. :D
Robyn xx