Thursday, June 19, 2008

There is has been a flurry of activity the last few days in preparation for The Return Of The Princess. After 9 years of service in the Air Force, she has decided to take on the civilian world and will be moving back home for a while as she makes that transition.
I have been slowly but surely getting her bedroom denuded of my quilting supplies. Last weekend Hubby took apart the Grace quilt frame and steam cleaned the carpet in anticipation of setting up her bed again. I asked that he wait one more week in order for me to use the open space to baste a quilt.
Fever has been waiting very patiently for this day to arrive. It grew too large to be quilted on the frame and I just didn't want to deal with moving furniture in the living room in order to have the space to spread it out. I use 505 Spray Glue to baste. It was the method being taught when I took my first quilt classes. Other than thread basting, it's the only method I know.


There's lots of crawling around on the floor, spreading and smoothing everything out. I work from the middle toward an edge then reverse to go the other way using a very light hand as I spray - it doesn't take a lot of glue. After the top is done, I trim away excess batting. Then flip it over and smooth, smooth, smooth before I put on the back. I had to laugh at myself when I found that I had not sewn the final seam of the pieced back. I bet I ran out of bobbin that day.
I'm sure this method is not for everyone. I've heard the school of thought that the glue may be toxic or doesn't wash out possibly causing your quilt to degrade. By the time that happens, if it does, I'll be long gone. I don't expect any of my quilts to become museum pieces. I make them to use and enjoy right now.
I'm excited to finally get to the quilting. This will be the first quilt I've made that will be large enough for our queen-sized bed. At one time I thought it would be done in time for Valentine's Day. Well, maybe for '09. And now that the basting is done, the bed can go back in the bedroom, made up with some fresh sheets ready for The Princess' arrival next week.
Also today I want to introduce a new blogger. Well, actually she's been posting since April of this year and I am embarrassed to say that I just stumbled upon he blog last week. You see Julie began emailing me in January and we've had a little correspondence going since then. I kept encouraging her to start up a blog - little did I know, she had! Hop over and check out Through the Barn Door, see some of her quilts and the fabulous place she lives - in the Sierra Nevada mountains in a barn that she and her hubby renovated for their retirement years. It's a nice place to visit . . . tell her Libby sent'cha.

23 comments:

Stina said...

What a great oppurtunity get that quilt basted...*s*...love to see it finished..it´s fantastic! Hope you will have a great time with your Princess...bet you have a lot to catch up with! Have a wonderful weekend! Thanks for the link!

Linda said...

Oh wow this is my favorite. Now if you have problems with it fitting on your bed, let me know and I'll send my address *s*
About to pop over to say hi to your friend now.

Julia said...

I am so excited to see the Fever quilt getting closer to the finished stage. How are you going to quilt it, by hand or machine? I had to chuckle at the photo with your foot in it, I have that same flip flop tan line! lol
I am headed over to check out the fun new blog.

Joyce said...

I have only spray basted once and it was not a success. Now that I have my big frame, basting is a thing of the past, thank goodness. I used to always pin baste.

Catherine said...

Oooh -- Fever looks like it's going to be gorgeous when it's all finished. Oh, what am I saying? It's gorgeous now!
Are you hand quilting it?

Crazy for Primitive Quilts & Gardens said...

Oh I still just love that quilt, Libby! It is going to be so beautiful all quilted. Enjoy your daughter's return.

Stephanie D. said...

I'm sure you can't WAIT for the Princess to get home!

You'll probably be too busy catching up to quilt anyway.

Julie said...

Thanks for the intro, Libby. I love having visitors. Your Fever is a stunner as usual. How are you planning on quilting it? Back when I was young & stupid I tried to machine quilt a queen size for my son. Woweee, was that a mess! He loved it anyway.*S*

paula, the quilter said...

I've seen Libby's foot! I just love Fever and am glad you are going to get it quilted. My tan stops at my ankle because of ankle socks and riding my bike.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I've never 505'd a quilt of that size, but there's no reason not to, thanks for the inspiration!! I've only done itty-bitty wallhangings like that in the past. I agree with you re: the longevity of the quilt vs. the degradation factor. We could worry ourselves silly and unless it's one that's being made for heirloom purposes only then we can be content to transfer our worries to things worth worrying about! A royal Welcome Home to the Princess!

julieQ said...

Thank you for sharing your method of securing the sammich! I will have to give it a try. Seems like we are all cleaning for the children to come back home...enjoy your sweet princess! And I am heading over to your friend's new blog now.

Karen said...

I know you are getting anxious to have your Princess back home!
I use the 505 spray also but do it a little differently. I lay the quilt or backing out over the top of the batting and smooth. Then I roll the whole top or bottom edge (minus the batting layer) to the middle of the quilt. Spray a section across and then unroll making sure there are no wrinkles. Then another section of 505 spraying, unroll, working to the edge. Then I turn around and roll the top or backing from the bottom edge to the middle. Helps to have two people for the rolling. My husband helps.

Wendy said...

It's hard to find space for laying out a queen size quilt. I use the 505 spray as well. Are you hand or machine quilting it? You must be really excited to have you Princess back home.

Knot Garden said...

I use that 505 spray, I think it's the best thing ever invented. I never intend to hand-baste a quilt again! It's always worked very well for me and saves a lot of time and effort.

gwen said...

Until now I have always thread basted on the floor on my knees! But yesterday I received a fusible batting, so I will see how it will do. I am curious to know too how you plan to quilt the beautiful Fever.
I wish your DD all the best back home. Take care.

Susie said...

Hi Libby,
I know you're counting the days and having fun making ready for your daughter! Thanks for the link. I always enjoy meeting new bloggers :)
xo

Patti said...

Oh I adore that quilt. Makes me think of a homespun version of my red and white stars. I really prefer the tan to the white of mine - friendlier and cosier looking. I can't wait to see this on your bed - not as much as you I bet! Have you ever thought of having a longarmer baste one of these big quilts for you?

Judy said...

Looking great! What a job, I can just see me doing this and having cat hair everywhere! Can't wait until I have a space big enough to lay out a big quilt on a nice wood floor!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Ahhh, I see the countdown is here! Fever is gorgeous!

Milah said...

First, let me express my graditude for your daughters 9 years of service to our country. Thank you so much....hugs!

The quilt is beautiful. Love your painted wall too and love your blog.

yellowfarmhouse said...

Yup I'm a fan of the 505 spray as well - I think I use it for just about everything. That fever quilt is beautiful and it will fun to see it finished. Have fun with the princess - it will be wonderful for you to have her home.

Hugs - karen

Guðrún said...

I am sure you will finish it before Valentine´s day 2009.

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Libby, I'm so glad I have came across some quilters. I'm new at blogging and have met some wonderful people so far. It looks like your daughter will be welcomed with open arms, yours and all of the angels.
Have a Blessed Day,
Bonnie