Wednesday, June 04, 2008

We had our third day in a row of sunshine yesterday. It was almost too good to be true, but now it looks as though we really have used all of June's sunny days. So far today it is cool, gray and windy. Good thing I used yesterday to my full advantage and did lots of things in the yard.
Monday evening Hubby and I finished filling the new planter with dirt making it ready for planting. Up top there is 2 kinds of basil and a sage plant with some nasturtium seeds thrown in for good measure and a little color. Down below, I planted beans to climb up the gates, leaf lettuce in the center, and in the front I sowed radish and carrot seeds together. (I read that little trick on a website for gardening with kids.) I still have room along the edges and all across the back. Just need to decide what I want to put in.While I was at the nursery, I also picked up 2 new cucumber plants to replace the ones that didn't survive. I've moved them to a different location away from the fence. So far so good. I also bought a watermelon plant - because I've never tried one before. Keep your fingers crossed, I'm not sure that we have enough hot days for a good watermelon. I already had some gourd seeds that went in next to the fence we share with a neighbor and some sunflower seeds to fill in where the cucumber stumps were. Apparently that particular patch of soil is scented with 'squirrel nip' because I saw those little devils out there scratching around trying to get at the seeds. I chased them out. Hubby, who was working from home this morning, went out and constructed a little wire fence to protect them from further infiltration. Oh those squirrels are going to drive me mad!
After all that digging and planting I was ready for a little snack. Something cold and sweet. It's a fun way to use up ripe bananas.
Peel and slice them up. Place the slices on a parchment covered cookie sheet and pop into the freezer. When they are frozen, transfer to zip top bags to store.
Then when you just get a little urge, take a few out, put them on a plate and drizzle them with Magic Shell chocolate coating. Yummy - fruit and chocolate - how can you go wrong? We call them 'monkey bites'.
Once I was fortified from my little snack, I felt ready to get to work on my 4 Seasons Summer swap piece. I hadn't turned on my sewing machine in a number of weeks. Boy did I have fun.
Now I have a background built, I can do some applique and embellishing. I have a few ideas rolling around in my head. We'll see what happens next.

28 comments:

Yvonne said...

Love your background. :) Monkey bites look good...I'll have to try that.

Stina said...

Still up waiting for your post...and I made it...*LOL* Love how your background comes along...and those ideas of yours...bet they will work out fine!. Monkey bites...have to try that out... And your new garden idea is coming along really nice...love to see it when it starts to grow a bit...!! And those squirrels can´t they annoy some neighbour instead!!

Chocolate Cat said...

Can't wait to try out your 'Monkey Bites'!! Won't have any warm days for a long while to have them on but luckily the kids aren't fussy and will have them no matter what the weather!!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Since our addition construction last summer I lost my vegetable garden and I have yet to get a new one started. I really miss it. I guess it's the Farmer's market for me again this year.

Karen said...

What a great post. Some gardening, some tasty food, and that background is fantastic. Looking forward to seeing what you put on it.

yellowfarmhouse said...

Ok those little monkey bites sound DEE-LISH - what a great idea. Your gardening project is really coming along and you will have some fresh vegies in no time. Your background for your swap looks wonderful and you are going to be ahead of the game in getting it done. You go girl :)

Hugs - karen

Screen Door said...

Busy Girl!! You have a salad in the making....We've struggled with sunny days here lately.. I continue to work at patience. I love the plaid quilt project. I've been stitching a little--pictures soon to come... Enjoy your day....

McIrish Annie said...

Love the monkey bites! now that the little monkey is home for the summer, that will be an easy way to feed him treats! LOL. thanks for the idea!

Judy said...

My father loved frozen grapes as a treat! I might have to try these since my bananas always go bad before I can eat them all!

Love the trellis! You have such nice flea markets and things in CA to find such lovely stuff. Hope all the plants come up really well. I can't wait to have space again for a garden!

Kairle said...

Such an adorable little garden spot, Libby. The Ballerina and I got the rest of our garden planted before the rain set in here. We may have yellow squash this week!!!

Susie said...

Hi Libby,
Your garden is coming along nicely :)
Your squirrels have relatives that live up here! I wish they'd relocate..
Your monkey bites look like a fun snack. I think our grandsons would love these!
xo

Crazy for Primitive Quilts & Gardens said...

Great idea about the bananas! Definitely am going to try that. Love your quilting background. Love the colors. Can't wait to see what you do :o)

Your garden bed is nice! I love raised beds for veggies. Less weeding that way.

mary said...

What a great idea for bananas! My three littlest ones (and the older ones) will love those. So glad that you are able to quilt again. I started again this week too - isn't is wonderful to be back in the sewing routine?

Lucy said...

your background is already amazing. can't wait to see what you are going to applique

amandajean said...

your snack looks delicious! I bet my kids would love that.

Wendy said...

Your going to have a big harvest later in the summer. I love how the garden came together.
Yum those monkey bite look so delicious.

Stephanie D. said...

Yumm, love the monkey bites idea. I'm allergic to raw bananas, but I can eat them cooked, so maybe freezing them will render them non-allergenic as well.

We do the frozen grapes thing, too--cold and juicy and just right.

Interesting wigwam garden you have going there!

softinthehead said...

Ah Libby I love your planter! What a great idea! Now I'm not a chocolate kinda person but those bananas looked so gooooood! YUM! Pam

Quilts And Pieces said...

Man, I always wish I was your swap reciever. Hmm, but then I guess I would have to make something too!

Guðrún said...

I would be mad if those squirrels were in my garden. I hope you will win the battle.

alda said...

yummy! ..banans with chocolate!..mmmh, my favorite! I love everything with chocolate on it, but I don't have it very often at home....but I realy love it!

alda

Nines said...

Chocolate and bananas...how can you go wrong- the kids will love that one!! the planter is so perfect!!! Great job of repurposing! And the square is sweet as it can be! can't wait to see the applique!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

You are going to have so many wonderful veggies!!!

I was moving pretty good on my 4 Seasons Swap, then I stalled out, I must get back to that now too :O)...

I am sooooooo drooling over those monkey bites! If I could still eat bananas and chocolate I would so be putting both on the grocery list! Whew those look good to me!

gwen said...

You and your DH did a great job on the planter and trellis. I can imagine it very well when everything has grown. Something for the eyes and something for the stomach!
I will try the Monkey Bites too. It looks so easy.
As usual, the background of your 4SSQ looks great. I am looking forward to seeing a small flower grow on it! Take care.

Wendy K said...

Those choccie banana bites look yummy, your background block is looking good too! Very impressed with your planter can't wait to see it 'flowering'.

Saucy said...

Monkey Bites sound delicious... I am totally trying that soon. Usually I end up making banana bread but I need a new way to feed my banana and chocolate craving.

Marcie said...

Oh Libby I do hope you can get a cuke out of that garden! I love the background and border and can't wait to see what comes rolling out of your head next! You always leave us in suspense!

Hannies Annies said...

Love the garden planter...great job! I hope you get more than three days of sun in June!!!