Sunday, June 22, 2008

'We're havin' a baby. My baby and me. . .' Okay, not really, but in many ways it feels like it. Back when we really were expecting The Princess we didn't have the chance to do many of the things parents do when anticipating a new baby. During the last months of my pregnancy, Hubby was serving in Japan and did not return until The Princess was four-months old. Now 28 years later, we are doing all the things we didn't get to do then.
We cleared out a room to make a place for our girl. We emptied the closet, drawers and bookcase to make space for all the things she'll need. Everything has been cleaned and freshened for her arrival. Yesterday we assembled the bed and all the bedding was washed. Everything is now ready and we wait.
Somethings will be different this time - we know she's a girl. It will be a pain-free delivery and we know exactly when she'll arrive. Somethings will be the same - we'll be awake nights, not for feedings but waiting to know she's safely home if she is out for the evening. It has been fun for us to do all the things we didn't get to do before. It feels like the circle is complete.
Has anyone noticed that it's HOT? With all flooding and other severe weather that is going on, I don't want to seem like I'm complaining - I'm not. But Friday afternoon, Harper and I escaped to the backyard in the afternoon to sit in the shade - a cool beverage and a book nearby. There was a rustle outside the gate and then we heard the doorbell ring. She was off like a flash and I was right behind. There on the porch was a box bearing my name. I hadn't ordered anything recently and was more than a little puzzled. I opened it right away and look what was inside -a sweet Americana pillow stitched by Marcie from Patchalot More. It's her very own design using wool applique and embroidery. Isn't it darling? And perfect timing, I finally got out the patriotic decorations this weekend. Of course, this little pillow will stay out all year long. It's too cute to be stored in a box for half the year. Wait - the care package had more.

Marcie sent two of her newest patterns from her Patchalot Patterns line. I can hardly wait to make them. If you haven't tried one of Marcie's patterns, you really should. Her directions are very plain and well laid out with lots of good descriptions. Thanks Marcie for a lovely care package!
Now that the days and evenings are warmer, we are spending more and more time outside. We have been enjoying dinner on the patio then playing with some good old bubbles after the clean up. There is a lot of fun in one .89 cent bottle of bubbles.
We like to see how far or high they will go before they *pop*
Harper is only mildly curious - until one disappears before her eyes.
I think she must be thinking that bubbles would be a lot more fun if only they were made of cheese.

32 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Marcie is the BEST! I want to make her Indian Paintbrush Quilt, too; I have everything ready except the time right now. We can check in on each other for progress reports... what do you think? Harper is too funny... bubbles of cheese wouldn't float away, of course not; they'd be eaten first! Enjoy these long days of summer... so, when's the Princess arriving?

Catherine said...

That Indian Paintbrush pattern is really tempting!
I love the quilt you have on the bed in your daughter's room. How pretty!
The bubbles are too funny! There's a toy store near us and they have an automated teddy bear at the entrance who blows bubbles all day long. As one passes the block corner, there are almost always a line of bubbles coming to greet you!

Chocolate Cat said...

The Princess's room looks just perfect! What a great parcel to recieve. I am trying to find a pattern to make up my 'Prairie Paisley' , think I will have to look at Marcies. Harper is just SO cute!

Patti said...

Oh my - what a very beautiful room! Absolutely perfect for a returning princess. And her quilt is just to die for - she will adore sleeping under such a beautiful creation.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Give me a heart attack why don't you! I read that first line and thought - what has she been up to! OK, well if your having a baby I know what you've been up to.. but you stopped my heart. Good thing I read on! wheh! I LOVE that picture of Harper with the bubbles! I can tell you Chloe would go nuts, she wouldn't be so calm. And the face shot is adorable!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Your new arrival (well sorta) room is so pretty! I am sure she will love it!

Fun new patterns and a great gift :O)....

Kota would love the bubbles, even at nearly 9 everything and I do mean everything is still a toy to him... well he is a boxer after all LOL... I will have to get some bubbles for him and us!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Just beautiful...your Princess will just love her room...I am sure Harper is eagerly awaiting her sisters return...LOL

julieQ said...

Love your newly freshened room...for the princess! I used to love bubbles, and have not thought of them in many years. Thanks for the fun reminder!!

Hummingbird Chats said...

The room looks great, your Princess will love it. Our dog General Lee would be going crazy trying to eat the bubbles, how fun. hehehe Katie

tami said...

Congratulations on your new re-arrival. He he he. I bet she'll love her new room.

Guðrún said...

How exciting to get your princess back home. The quilt on her bed is beautiful, I like the stitcheries in it.

Kathy Wagner said...

I was all excited when I first started reading...wondering what kind of baby quilt you'd be making!
But the quilt you have on her bed is gorgeous, that lucky girl! What a wonderful room to come home to!

Perry said...

The Princess should love her room. It looks so warm and inviting, and so feminine! I love the quilt you put on the bed! I know you will be glad to have her home. Marcie certainly sent you a beautiful gift. I know you will treasure it. As for the bubbles, I have always loved them, might have to get some of my own, lol. And your vegs etc are all great. I loved it when we had a garden, but that was 30 years ago, lol.

yellowfarmhouse said...

What a sweet way to look at your princess coming home. Her room looks so wonderful,warm and inviting and although there will be adjustments for all of you - your going to enjoy it all.

What a great treat in the mail came your way. Surprise packages are so fun.

Stay Cool - Karen

Kate said...

What a lovely room. I would quite cheerfully come and stay in there.

Those patterns look good. That Indian Paintbrush pattern looks like something I would love to make.

May Britt said...

I know the feeling gettin DD back home. Like when my DD came back home after living away for one year. we enjoy this months together now before she's moving away to go to another school i august.
The room you made for her is so lovely. Love the quilt on the bed.

Julie said...

The room is just perfect for the Princess. And what a cute pillow you got from Marcie! Such a nice surprise. The heat should result in a bumper crop out in your garden!

Nines said...

Nesting, are we? I am almost as excited as you to hear about her return!

Great picture of the pooch- that's not easy to do. And what a wonderful surprise! That'll give you many warm fuzzy moments every time you look at it!

Stina said...

Oh you made the room wonderful...I really love the quilt and the wallhanging... Hope you will have a wonderful time together!!

Annemiek said...

I too think the room is beautifull!My youngest DD is moving out this summer;going to study in another town, too far to go by train every day. Nice that yours is coming BACK!

Katie said...

So special to have adult children to share with. The room looks great. Such a wonderful pic of Harper. Stay out of heat!

Screen Door said...

You've must be so excited!!! the room looks perfect... you need to talk about that quilt on the bed... love it. Stay cool, nothing iced tea can't fix...Enjoy your days.

Hannies Annies said...

Marcie is so talented! I love Harper, send her my way anytime! Your Princess is going to love her room, she is so lucky to have you as parents!! we are so lucky to have had her serve our country for nine years!!!! I wish her the best!

suz said...

I was delighted to see Doreen Speckman's chicks, but you might want to mention her. She brought that pattern back from one of the Scandinavian countries where she was teaching. She passed away a number of years ago, but many of us still fondly remember her Peaky & Spike patterns and these little chicks. thanks

Carin said...

How wonderful to make her such a beautiful quilt!

Stephanie D. said...

Love the stencils around the window! It's such a pretty room-she may never want to leave. Or is that your plan?

I haven't bought bubbles since we got Tandi over a year ago. I'll have to get some and see how she handles it. She's so afraid of everything--it should be interesting.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Not hot in NH. Been in the high 70's-low 80's. Hope it stays that way!

Karen said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on your daughter coming home. It won't be long now.
I enlarged the photo of the room so I could get a better look at the quilt on the bed. It is so pretty!
And how fun to play with blowing bubbles with your pet. Makes me wish I had a pet to try that with.

Sweet P said...

I can certainly understand your feelings about the Princess coming home. You have the right attitude about the event.

It hasn't been hot here. Just rainy.

Harper looks like she is having fun with the bubbles.

Quilt Memories said...

I know you are sooooo anxiously awaiting your daughters arrival.
Love the quilt on her bed too, and Harper is adorable. As Ms. GN would say, Life is good.....Bobbin

paula, the quilter said...

That is such a sweet room for the Princess. I am sure she will like it. I am glad you all are have fun while staying cool.

Carole said...

Lovely package! How kind of Marcie! Here in Upstate NY, it has been rainy every day! That's okay, rain is good! But I read you about the strange weather. Perhaps Mother Earth has had her fill! Lovely room for the Princess! Enjoy!