Monday, July 28, 2008

Here it is: Monday once again. Where did the weekend go? I enjoyed all of the lovely comments on my bloggiversary. I just can't say enough what a wonderful experience blogging has been for me. Hubby joined in the celebration with a gift. Here is my new toy.
I've already had a lot of fun taking pictures, trying out odd angles, close-ups, distance shots, self portraits. I can hardly wait for the next full moon - now the camera can remain still for the longer exposure time - no more fuzzy or heart-shaped moons. I'm telling you, Hubby is just the best! I'll share another treat soon.
Oh, here's another something extra fun . . . Fever is on the bed! We have slept under it for several nights now. Just love it.
As I anticipated, it shrank quite a good amount when washed. Since I don't pre-wash, I have had to learn to compensate for that when calculating the finished size I ultimately want. This time it turned out to be a perfect fit. I would show you the sides, but there is currently no dust ruffle making for a rather unattractive view of the box spring. Guess that will be my next project.
On Sunday, Hubby and I drove to Long Beach to attend the International Quilt Festival. This was the first year it was held near me and I was anxious to see what they had to offer. Oh my! I have never seen so many vendors. We walked and walked and walked through aisles of vendors. These purchases all came from the Primitive Gatherings booth.
I think I showed great restraint. I could have easily taken one of everything and maybe two of some. Lisa and her husband were both delightful to chat with, offering help and suggestions with my choices. The same cannot be said for all of the vendors, some merely grunted monosyllabic responses to questions. They didn't get any of my business either.
I carried my camera but didn't take a single picture. Many of the quilts had HUGE signs forbidding photography. I don't really understand the thought behind that, but I did follow the rules.
And because I haven't been working on anything new lately, here is one more look at my Four Seasons Quilt Swap summer quilt. It is now living happily in its new home in The Netherlands.
The quote on the label is from Elizabeth Lawrence and says, 'The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.' I thoroughly enjoyed participating in every season of this swap. I enjoyed making each season's quilt and love each that I have received. I wonder if there will be another swap for the coming year.

30 comments:

Catherine said...

Fever looks absolutely fabulous! As does your 4 Seasons quilt. Lucky recipient!
A vendor at a quilt show who can't/won't answer questions? Sheesh -- what a great way to drive away sales.

Mar said...

Fever is beautiful, I do the same, but always forget to make larger. Sounds and looks like you had a great time at the quilt show, good for you!!

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Lisa is wonderful! I am a lucky girl being able to go there when I want.... it is definitely a quilting blessing! Wonderful purchases.

Jeanne said...

Libby, Fever looks wonderful on your bed! Thanks for sharing that picture.
The quilt show sounds great and I think you showed great restraint in your buying. *s*

Screen Door said...

Congrats on the new toy. We use ours alot at christmas-- Ransom is trained ... He sets up for a pose every time you get it out. Love your completed quilt... Just as pretty as I thought it would be. I'm kinda getting hungry for some quilt shopping....I'm going to knock out both two sets of college tuition and play with any left overs.....On second thought... maybe I'll just start that Christmas wish list*S*..... It's worth the wait.

Shelina said...

Fever looks wonderful on the bed. I'm sure it is a great feeling having it finally on the bed.

Your swap quilt is gorgeous! I'm sure it will be really loved by the recipient.

paula, the quilter said...

Your new toy's twin lives at my house. I actually have 2 tripods: a little shorty tabletop model and a full blown heavy Slik tripod. I love 'em both and each is good in certain situations. Fever looks fabulous! I don't understand grumpy, rude vendors. They are there to sell and should "smile through the pain."

Stephanie D. said...

Fever looks great on the bed! I'm a pre-washer myself, so I don't have to fool with additional math--always a plus! (pun intended)

Three years ago I was fotunate enough to spend an hour at the Quilt Odyssey in PA--so much to see and buy! Love those monster shows!

Wendy said...

You must be so pleased to have that gorgeous quilt on your bed. Love your purchases and the 4 season's swap quilt is so darling.

Carol said...

What a great Blogiversary gift...what a perfect Blog Husband. Fever is gorgeous. What wonderful treasures you got at the show. Primitive Gatherings was one of my favorite booths at the show in Chicago. It's just so warm and inviting...easily could take one of everything.

Dianne said...

Oh, that gorgeous fever is on the bed! I'm also a non-washer of fabrics, so I'm wondering: what was the before/after size of the quilt?

Never saw the sense of prewashing unless you also prewash the batt, and that's hard to do. Plus the batt keeps on shrinking each time its washed, for quite awhile. It's also much easier to piece the unwashed fabric...and there's NO way I'd consider starching and ironing...yuck!

Linda said...

Oh my gosh Libby your "Fever" looks so stunning on that gorgeous bed. I love your bed ends, just the sort of sytle I love. Now aren't you the spoilt girl with a lovely new tripod. Looks like you did well at the quilt festival.....

Lizzy said...

Fever is a beautiful quilt. What a wonderful quilt to have on your bed.

Guðrún said...

Fever is gorgeous lying on the bed! I always love when I can get a sneak peak inside your house, there are always beautiful quilts to have a glimpse of.

Judy said...

Very cool...love all the goodies, I think I see some fabulous wool in there!

The Quilt Buddy said...

Love your newest creation!

I also went to the Long Beach Quilt show!I couldn't believe the number of people that were there! I too had a great time and showed great restraint!I don't know how but I did!

I enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to reading more! Thanks!

Karen said...

Yay, Fever is on your bed, it looks SO great!

Darlene said...

Fever looks fabulous on your bed! You should be sporting a little smug smile with your finish. LOL

Great bloggy gift - you'll enjoy that one.

ranette said...

Your Fever quilt looks gorgeous and comfy. Love the colors!

Knot Garden said...

Fever looks amazing just as I thought it would! You must be really pleased with it.

Ahava Hopps Brooke said...

Fever looks great.

You were really restrained in your purchases. I was not.

The SAQA (art quilters) were the exhibit that didn't allow photos. The other exhibits do allow photos. And you can post them on non-commercial sites as long as you credit the artists. I have some Long Beach photos on my site and will continue to post more until all of my photos are posted.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful Quilt! Can't wait to see the scallops! It was so great to meet you last weekend! And I am afraid I was the one drooling over your rail patch quilt! That will be awesome when it is done!!
Question on your gift, you still push the button to take the shot, and there is still no jiggle? or use the timer mode?

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Your fever looks divine on your bed. Shocking about the vendors attitudes. But customer service seems to be down... and with the economy the way it is... that is shocking. They should jump on one foot and offer to do more for your business. I am so glad you went to the show though. Love the new goodies.

Sunny said...

Lucky you! I have never been to the IQF either. Your quilt looks perfect on your bed. I love it!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Your husband is the best, celebrating your BIG day, too! Congratualtions... FEVER has never looked so good as it does on the bed!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh what a fun present! And isn't the primitive gatherings booth fun! You should see their store! Man fever looks wonderful on your bed!

Hummingbird Chats said...

I love the quilt , it looks beautiful on your bed. Yes, a bed skirt is the great next project.
~~smiles~~

Stina said...

Oh you are finished with with "Fever"...congratulations...it looks wonderful at the bed...And so does the other quilts on the wall too!!!
And your Four Season quilt became fantastic...happy receiver!!

yellowfarmhouse said...

YAHOO fever is done and being enjoyed. Looks great on the bed. I made the leap and bought my own tripod and am looking forward to using it lots. It's come in handy a few times already. Isn't Primitive Gatherins AWESOME. I know if I lived near there store I would be broke and probably single, LOL. Glad you had a great time at the show and those vendors who are grumpy - I don't even go in there booths.

Hugs - karen

Kathy Wagner said...

How wonderful that you can use your Fever quilt now - it looks perfect there.
I also don't understand the "No Photographs" trend I am encountering at quilt shows these days. I wish someone could explain what this is about?!?!