Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I got to spend a little quality time with my sewing machine yesterday afternoon. What fun it was to sit down and stitch something quick and easy.I picked up this pattern at the quilt shop in Sedona during our visit a couple of weeks ago. Fall is my favorite season and I have quilts that reflect that, but I don't have many purely Halloween quilts. The bats in this pattern just tickled me. I need to applique down the bodies and the monogram. Then there are spiders to be added. The pattern calls for buttons, but I'm thinking yo yo's.
I also started getting some of the wool ready to stitch from the kit I picked up at Primitive Gatherings booth on Sunday.
I don't normally make a placement guide - Wing It - is my motto. However, the background piece was so generous in size, I decided to do my best to save as much of the excess in one piece as possible.
The sample shows the finished piece in a frame. I think I may choose instead to make a pillow. Wall space is becoming a premium, but I can always use one more throw pillow.
A trip to the mailbox yielded a fun surprise. A package from Valerie of Pumpkin Patch Quilter.
I was the lucky winner in her prize drawing. Isn't it just darling? My favorite - fall. Valerie hand quilted fans in the center and did a tiny meander all around the outer edge. A perfect addition to my fall collection. Thanks, Valerie.
This morning we had another follow up appointment for Harper. Everything is healing nicely. The last of the stitches were removed. Best of all - permission has been granted for short walks of 5 to 10 minutes. We are all practically giddy with excitement.
Also she is allowed to relax outside on the patio. This spot is one of her favorites on a hot summer afternoon. It doesn't seem like those rocks would be comfortable, but the concrete is cool and well shaded by the tree. We must be mindful to not be tempted to charge after a squirrel lest there be a huge set back in recovery. You'll find me sitting nearby with my squirt gun to keep them at bay. Fun for everyone . . . except the squirrels.

25 comments:

Catherine said...

What a great day for Harper -- being able to go for short little walks and hang out on the patio! Love your Hallowe'en pattern! The bats made me grin!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Libby-- So happy to hear about Harper! Yippeee!!

Your Fall things are all shaping up quite well, you're well prepared for the change of seasons (love the cauldron!)... well done!

Stephanie D. said...

Okay, a great big high five, er four, er... how about a tummy rub for Harper!

You mean the squirrels weren't deterred by the Jalapeno leavings? Maybe their little brains are fried.

And I love the wall-hanging!

Wendy said...

You are well on your way to getting the fall projects done. I love the sheep wool weather vane...so cute.
Have you thought about putting sunflower seeds for the squirrels, maybe that will fill them up and stay away from the garden...LOL
Harper is looking happier with each picture.

Jeanne said...

Hooray for Harper - a bit more freedom. Your Halloween quilt is great and the pumpkin quilt you won is wonderful, also. I love fall, too, but am not ready for it yet. *s*

Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Aww, thanks for posting about the quilt...it looks so pretty hanging up there! :)

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Glad Harper is on the mend! And CUUUTTEEEE bat quilt! That is adorable! I have seen that pattern at Primitive Gatherings and it is so nice! I just have SO MANY KITS from them... I was tempted, but I had to resist :o)

Karen said...

I don't know why those squirrels don't give up and find squirtgun-less territory where you are NOT, Libby lol! Seems like they would admit defeat. Enjoy your walks, Harper!

Carol said...

YIPPEE!YIPPEE! YEAH! Harper is making excellent progress. Howie and Zack are barking with you! Zack says "Take it slow Harper...no squirrel chasing yet" Oh Libby I'm so happy for all of you. I know how hard it is.

Beth said...

Love it all Libby! Fall is my favorite season too, can't wait until it arrives! I am so happy for Harper, I bet she's happy as a claim getting authorized trips outside for a few minutes!

Katie said...

Oh those bats are something else. So glad to know Harper is out of doors now. I can just see you guarding with the squirt gun. "s"

Mary said...

Your new little bat quilt is just too good! Thanks for sharing the website for the pattern. Now let me see.....project number 1028??

Chocolate Cat said...

That is wonderful news for Harper! One very excited dog at your place I would suggest!!

Judy said...

Everything look so wonderful including the CORN in the picture!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Go Harper..and you have been busy Libby..

paula, the quilter said...

Watch out! If it is as hot there as it has been here, those squirrels mights start enjoying the free showers. *grin*

yellowfarmhouse said...

That Halloween quilt is adorable - will be fun to see it finished. Doesn't Prim Gatherins just have the best wool - I love their overdyed wool. I'm so glad that Harper is on the mend and can venture outside. I'm sure it's a pleasure for her.

Hugs - karen

craftycherry said...

Your blog is absolute eye candy for me. Pure bliss to look at your quilts which are type I ADORE... and very inspirational (Hmm do I NEED anymore inspiration with many unfinished pieces around me..)
I too am quilting my halloween quilt and enjoying it. Mine is going to hang on the wall as a piece of Art ive decided, no matter what the season!
Have a great day Cheery Cherry

Cheryl said...

Happy day for Harper - YEAH!!!! Cute Halloween quilt and great pumpkin quilt. Bring on the FALL!!! :-)

KCQuilter said...

Yay for Harper!!! And yay for the wonderful Halloween "batty" quilt! Can fall be far away?

Darlene said...

I'm really excited that Harper is doing so great and can enjoy little jaunts.

Sweet and adorable projects! WooHoo!

Quilt Memories said...

Love your projects and am soooooooo glad Harper is mending so well..........

Julia said...

I am sooooo excited for Harper!!! She must feel like she is in heaven, to get to go outside! Keep your gun loaded! Squirt gun that is! LOL

Carole said...

Love the Halloween quilt! I'm with you, Autumn is my favourite season also. Wonderful news about Harper! Keep well!

Guðrún said...

I am glad that Harper is getting better.