Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I think it's high time for a 'Harper Update.' So here we go . . . We seem to have come to the part where boredom has set in. At the last vet appointment, part of the sutures were removed but not all. This was due to the fact that she was going to the Pet Hotel for a few days while The Princess and I were gone. We chose this option in order to alleviate some boredom, but the vet feared she may do some unauthorized licking and chewing, so he left a few sutures in place for good measure.
Our next appointment is in a week. I am hoping with all my might that we may be allowed to take some short walks. Even a couple of short trips to the mailbox would suffice. Her she is looking wistful at the front door. I think her thought bubble says, 'Remember when we used to use this thing.' Notice she is showing her 'good side' again.Here she is plotting an escape to the backyard. No worries over showing the bad side - she just wants to find a way out!
We experienced an unauthorized jump into one of the chairs on Monday. She used to lay her head down on the seat, look imploringly, and wait for permission. Not any more. Now if there is not a hiney in a seat, the furniture looks like this:
and this.
Yes, that is Fever on the ottoman. I have been working a little each evening stitching down the binding. It's a BIG quilt, those scallops make the perimeter even BIGGER! I'm currently working on the third scalloped edge, then it will be just a straight shot across the top.
I thought the pest damage in the green beans was some sort of bug when I shared it yesterday. In the afternoon, I went out for a closer inspection to determine what sort of thing I could use get rid of them. You guessed - not bugs at all but a doggoned squirrel came scampering out of there. With no dog on patrol and no humans around for a few days, seems the squirrels moved in for a buffet. Well, the sheriff is back in town. If there is any good news in all of this, it seems they only ate the leaves. This morning The Princess and I picked a colander full of beans for dinner tonight.



These are the first I have ever grown. Something tells me they are going to be the best I've ever tasted!

20 comments:

Jeanne said...

Poor Harper! I hope he behaves himself while you are gone. Your road blocks to the sofa and chairs are very pretty. I see you do have a green thumb. The green beans look so good.

Screen Door said...

Great beans for dinner--- But it sounds like Harper is on the mend!!! Come on... at l east we know she's still got it her!!! And that this 'doctor' spell hasn't broken her spirit...

Beth said...

Aww, glad Harper is doing better! But you're cracking me up with the "unauthorized" stuff! LOL I love green beans, I bet your home grown ones are going to be great!

Guðrún said...

Of course the beans taste better if you have grown them yourself. Harper is not that happy looking.

Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Harper is just adorable. :)

I didn't even think about what a pain those scallops must be to bind!

Carol said...

The vet let Zack start going for 5 minute leash walks at this same follow-up appointment and then we were to add 5 minutes each week. Zack was soooooooo happy when he finally got to go further than just out the side door and back in again.
I'm on my way to your house for green beans...yummy!

Catherine said...

Harper looks like she needs a big hug! But I'm glad she seems to be on the mend -- and do hope the vet gives you the go-ahead for a short walk at the next visit.
Those green beans look delicious.

Chocolate Cat said...

what good looking beans!

Quilt Memories said...

I should be at your house about 6pm, for dinner, BUT only for the green beans.....LOL....They look so good! as I am sure they will be!
Take care of Harper, he will be good as new soon...Bobbin

Rabbit Stitchings said...

I know Harper will be so very happy to get the all clear to go back to "normal" life :O)...

All your garden goodies are just wonderful!!! What fun to fill up the freezer with home grown goodies :O)...

Marcie said...

I am so glad that Harper is feeling up to jumping on the furniture. That is a good sign! I am sick at what those nasty rodents did to your garden. They never quit! Your house looks so cool with all those great quilts all over. Thanks for the peek!

tami said...

Yum! Home grown green beans are my favorite.

Katie said...

Harper looks so good. I've been known to lay a kitchen chair on a couch that was usually okay but off limits when Kipper was injured. Works good. I bet those beans were as good they look. Do you want a good squirrel pie recipe? haha

Knot Garden said...

It sounds like Harper is starting to feel better if she's trying to jump on the furniture. I loved seeing glimpses of your quilts in all the pictures.

Karen said...

Road blocks everywhere! Does it really work?

Darlene said...

Love all the road blocks but I feel bad for Harper. She just wants to sit in a comfy chair.

Dang squirrels!!! LOL

Julia said...

Poor Harper! So hard for her to understand. I hope that she will be able to go outside very soon.

Your beans look so yummy!

Judy said...

Now that is a very fond memory...sitting with my Nama on the porch glider, a bowl of beans in my lap and the next pot beside me...snap snap, snap! Good beans in the pot, tips back into the bowl.

Good doggie! She's getting some fuss back on the leg and good that the pillows work. Cats would look you dead in the eye and push the pillows off!!LOL!

Wendy said...

Poor Harper, he'll be as good as new real soon. Oh yum the green beans are going to be delicious tonight. I cook mine with chicken broth.

Esteemarlu said...

that's too funny about your dog on the chair. I have to put something on the sofa every time I go out so my pups won't jump on it. Never tasted pepper jelly before.