Monday, July 21, 2008

Many hours of driving later, The Princess and I arrived home from Quilt Camp In The Pines yesterday afternoon. Driving through the desert excepted, we had a great time. Camp itself lasts all week, but I had only signed up for one class. That left us girls with a couple of days to play in Flagstaff.
First on the agenda was Riordan Mansion. Completed in 1904, the home is built and furnished in the Craftsman style popular at the time (and still with me.) Just like at Hearst Castle, I am most fascinated by the kitchen. It would be like a dream come true to spend a day working with the utensils and cooking with the appliances.
Here is The Princess smelling a tree on the grounds at Riordan Mansion. I'm sure you are wondering, 'What's wrong with that girl? Are you sure she is right in the head?' Let me explain. One of the things I love most about Flagstaff is the aroma of the pine trees all around town. It's just delightful to step outside and take a deep breath and be greeted with that refreshing scent. But a funny little quirk about the Ponderosa Pines - the bark smells of butterscotch. The only way our girl would believe it was to step up and take a whiff for herself.
We also enjoyed an evening at Lowell Observatory. There is a wonderful Visitor's Center where you can explore and learn all sorts of things related to astronomy. We decided to wait until the sun went down for our visit. Waiting offers the opportunity to looks through the telescope (s).
There is no flash photography allowed at the observatory, so these photos were lightened up with the help of Picasa. Doesn't the moon look heart-shaped? I must have wiggled a little while the shutter was open. I Heart Flagstaff!
Here is another without the wiggle.
We got to look through the big telescope for a view of the M11 Star Cluster. In the 16" telescope offered a view of a dual star. In the 10" telescope, we looked at Jupiter and four of its moons. A second viewing at the 10" telescope offered an amazingly brilliant and close look at the full moon.
One day we took a drive down to Sedona through Oak Creek Canyon. I am always amazed on that drive. You just mosey along through the pine trees, round a corner and suddenly there is this amazing canyon just opened up before your eyes. Just as you are about to adjust to the new scenery, you round another corner and there is the red rocks of Sedona and a whole new landscape. All of that in a short 28 mile drive.
I almost forgot. We came here to go to Quilt Camp. My class was Big and Little Stitch Hand Quilting with Joe Cunningham. Since it was a technique class, there's not much to show. But I do feel like I learned quite a bit. I'm not so afraid of those tiny little betweens needles anymore, I made real progress in getting my stitches on the top and back of the quilt to look the same, and my big stitches are much improved as well. I made some new friends in class, met fellow bloggers - why didn't we exchange emails? Joe not only gave some great quilting help, but told a lot of fun stories and played his guitar for the class in the afternoon.
He was also the featured entertainer at the banquet Saturday evening - his musical quilt show on the life of Joe The Quilter.
The whole trip was a lot of fun and I hated to leave Flagstaff. But I missed Hubby and Harper and was anxious to get home again. Now it's time to pay the piper - the laundry hamper is filled to overflowing, the garden needs a little tending, the fridge looks a little empty, and the unread posts on my Bloglines list is in the triple digits . . . what I really want to do is practice my stitches. I bet I can fit a couple in here and there while I get caught up.

22 comments:

Wendy said...

That must have been interesting to learn hand quilting from a guy. Those between needles feel too tiny for me and I have small hands.
I'm glad you had a good trip and had time to stop and smell the trees.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Sounds like to me you girls had a wonderful time!!! But I know you were glad to see your DH and Harper :O)... and they were glad to see you girls too!! :O)...

McIrish Annie said...

glad you had a good time at quilt camp! I remember Joe from a Simply Quilts episode. I bet his class was great. Have never been to Sedona but it sounds fabulous!

Marcie said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I love the fresh smell of those pines also. And isn't Sedona its own kind of beautiful?

Guðrún said...

I bet Harper was glad when you came home. It seems like a wonderful trip you had.

Stina said...

You seem to have had a wonderful time...I´m glad for that...and not beeing scared of those betweens...that is good...I really need a class like that!!
Take care... Hope Harper is fine...

KCQuilter said...

Oh, I do love Flagstaff and Sedona--really pretty places both! And the Lowell Observatory is such an interesting place too. Sounds like a great trip! Welcome back.

paula, the quilter said...

Sounds like you had a really good time. How did Harper behave for Hubby?

Mar said...

OOO that Quilt Camp, you lucky ducky, I adore Flagstaff and Sedona, and a class with Joe? WOW!!

Kathy Wagner said...

Sounds like a great trip!
Hope you show us your stitches when you have time!

Stephanie D. said...

I never heard of trees that smelled like butterscotch! Wonder what it tastes like? Who was that old guy on the commercial who talked about eating pine trees? If they all tasted like butterscotch, well, maybe....

That was a long trip for one class--but it sounds like it was a good one. I loved the one trip I made to, actually through, Sedona. Never made it to Flagstaff, but sure would have loved to see the observatory.

Do you ever go to NASA's daily photos pages? You'd probably like it: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

Carin said...

sounds like a blast!

Catherine said...

Sounds like you had a great time! A tree that smells like butterscotch? How intriguing! How is Harper?

The Calico Cat said...

Since i spent two of my high school years in Arizona, I have actually been to Flagstaff & Lowell Observatory. I like both of them too. - Especially when it is a respite from the heat of the desert.

Judy said...

Oh sounds like a great time! I've seen him quilt on Alex's show and he does amazing work. Must have been fun to learn from the master!!

Angela said...

What a great time you had! So glad you got the time with your daughter too. Sweet!

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! Glad you enjoyed your class.

Darlene said...

Oh, what a wonderful time you and The Princess had.

There you were so close and yet so far away! :-( teehee

I know Harper and your DH are glad you are home safe and sound.

Juliann in WA said...

Sounds like a lovely mother-daughter trip. I haven't thought of Sedona for a long time. I grew up in Scottsdale and we used to go up to Sedona for weekend trips.

Sweet P said...

What a wonderful trip you had with The Princess. The moon photo is awesome!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh it sounds fun! I"m glad you had a good time! I want to go on a trip!

Carole said...

WOW! What a wonderful trip! I would love to take a class with Joe, lucky gal! He's an amazing hand quilter! Looks like I'll have to come over and smell the bark too! lol Welcome back!