Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Princess has finished her project and our Number One Patient/Model is here to show you the completed piece. The decision to use ribbon for the ties was a good one. The pieces provided were far to short. I do think The Princess enjoyed working on her project. Surely more will follow.
Notice that Harper is showing her 'good side.' She continues to improve every day. Now we must be extra vigilant to keep her from jumping. The good news is she is not very subtle and will telegraph what her intentions are. This leaves plenty of time for us to holler, "NO!" The next vet appointment is this Wednesday.
We do plan to ask for a special dispensation to go outside in the afternoons. This time of year brings a weather pattern that includes tropical storms that come up from Baja California making it very humid in the afternoons. It is so refreshing to go out in the yard about 3 in the afternoon for a break from the stuffy house. I think we should get the okay, if we promise to keep a girl on a short leash. That would stop any sudden urge to chase an errant squirrel or random cat that could come into the yard.
There were a couple inquiries about the quilt that can be seen behind The Princess at the sewing machine. It is Sweet Land of Liberty BOM by Cheri Payne. It was a class offered at my local quilt shop a few years back. I always look forward to the 'patriotic' season when I can put this quilt up each year.We had a very nice delivery this week in the CSA box. That is the biggest avocado I have ever seen. I made carrot bread with those red carrots. Everyone is looking forward to eating the figs. I think they will become tonight's dessert.
I finished quilting Fever! Can you believe it? When I got down to the last pass, I told Hubby that I was getting a little sad. I feel like I've working on it for so long now, it's kind of hard to see it end. He quickly reminded me how happy I will be once it's on our bed. He also pointed out the fact that I will have such fun picking out the next project. Smart man that Hubby.
I'm making a scalloped edge finish on three sides. The top will be straight. I don't want those scallops flopping me in the face all night long. A dinner plate made the perfect template.
Then I made what seems like miles and miles of bias binding.
I hope that tonight I'll be working on hand stitching the binding down. That is my absolute favorite part of quilting.

19 comments:

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Did you quilt this all sitting at your machine? Or did you put this on your grace frame? I was thinking you had a grace frame? Either way its wonderful... I am so excited about this free motion quilting... I have two king size tops that need quilting.. I am thinking I can do it! I would love to get them done so I can use them!

Mar said...

Like everything you do Fever is beautiful, and even more so with the scallops. Harper is a very good model!!

Judy said...

Good choice, those scallops would drive me nuts in the face too! Love the quilting on Fever and thanks for the close up on SLOL too. I got to see your quilting which let me see what the all over meander looked like...I like it. I'm still deciding, but just might go with that.

Catherine said...

I hope Harper gets the okay for a little outing on a short leash!
I love sewing down binding too - I think it is my favourite.

Stephanie D. said...

I'm looking forward to seeing Fever all finished. Have you done scallops before? Not me, but have wanted to try it.

Glad to see Harper's feeling better and up to modeling! What is going to be The Princess's next project?

Carol said...

YIPPEE! YIPPEE! YEAH! Harper is feeling better...Sending good thoughts for the vet visit and that you and Harper get to go outside on the short leash. That will tire her out and she won't have any inclination to jump when she comes in. What a cute model she is.

Darlene said...

I'm really proud of The Princess! Is she ready for a new project?

Fever is finished - woohoo!

I hope Harper will get permission to enjoy the outdoors.

Julia said...

WooHoo!!! I am so excited for you! How nice to have "Fever" done. I love the scalloped edge. I haven't tried that yet, still kind of scares me.

Harper looks adorable!!! I hope that she gets the o.k. to go outside!!!

Crazy for Primitive Quilts & Gardens said...

Glad to hear Harper is on the mend, and what a cute model :o)

I love your Fever quilt. So beautiful! And I agree, sewing down the binding is my favorite part!

Kathy Wagner said...

How brave to make a scalloped edge! I have never attempted that before!

Fiona said...

Beautiful quilting - and I know what you mean about sewing down the binding.

Carin said...

I love the quilt. Both of them I can't wait to see the finished and bound scallops.

Marcie said...

Hi Libby, Glad to see Harper recovering. I know you are enjoying your daughter! Did she go nuts over her quilt? Your garden and trellis are amazing! Good old CA sunshine!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Very nice apron, but poor Harper to be all dressed up! Man those veggies look great! I never heard of those coop things before and Friday when I was working from home they were talking about ones around here! Huh! never knew. So I"ve never seen a fig in real life. What does it look like when you cut it open? What part do you eat? And I don't have a clue what it would taste like? sweet? sour? nutty? juicy?

Guðrún said...

Poor Harper isn´t looking so good. Fever is going to be beautiful.

paula, the quilter said...

Youhoo! I just gave you an award. Go read all about it on my blog.

Karen said...

What a neat post. Love the quilt photos. Also the lovely produce yum. Harper looks like she's being very good.

Karen said...

I am so glad to see your "Sweet Land of Liberty". I am supposed to be making one. I have the first row done but got stuck when it came to the Liberty Lady (1st block, 2nd row). I prepared it with wool applique and do not like that block at all. Mine looks like a weird man. I am inspired to re-do the block and move on.

Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Oh that Fever quilt of yours looks wonderful...I can't wait to see it. :) Scalloped edges! They will look great!