Monday, July 14, 2008

There is a flurry of activity and a whole lot of list making going on around here today. I'm packing up and on my way to Quilt Camp. I have been eagerly anticipating this week for a good long time. What's not to get excited about? It's quilting held in my favorite place to visit. This year The Princess is joining me. She won't be taking any classes, but we are going a couple of days before my class so I can share some of the things I most enjoy doing when I'm there. I've overheard her on the phone explaining to a friend what she's doing, 'No, they don't have campfires and things. There are quilting classes at the college. There's a barbecue on the last night with a quilter who will speak.' The Princess has asked for a camp t-shirt as a souvenir. I'm taking the camera so there should be lots of pictures when we return.
Dawn asked some questions about the fresh figs from my last post. We had fig trees in our yard when I was growing up. I forget that not everyone does. My dad really enjoyed the fruit. My mom said the trees must taste good, too. The gophers were always eating the roots and nearly killing the tree.
There are many varieties of figs, but the only one I am familiar with is the California Mission Fig. They were brought to California from Spain to the missions (thus the name.) There are little seedy things inside, but you can just eat the whole thing. They are very sweet, kind of fleshy but not juicy. The are very popular with 'foodies' who like to do things like stuff them with blue cheese and wrap in prosciutto or serve with balsamic vinegar. Being a 'simple girl,' eating out of hand is just fine for me.
Today the weather was warm so I opened up the front door and worked at my sewing machine getting whiffs of fresh air whenever a breeze would blow my way.
I heard a little rustle out on the lawn. When I looked up I spied one of those dratted squirrels. Seems they had opened up a new supply line from the neighbor's trash cans through our backyard out to the hill behind us. Clearly they understand they are not welcome here because the little critter didn't tarry a moment on his way through.
Once I installed this little road block, they were not seen again. This weekend Hubby will do a more esthetically pleasing job of blocking the low spot in the fence. I'm sure they'll find a new spot. They like to try to stay one step ahead of me but I will not give in.
Be back next week with Tales From Camp.

37 comments:

Quilt Memories said...

I know you and the Princess will have a great time. Before long she will be in your sewing space working away!!!! Won't that be fun!! I would LOVE to find my DD in my sewing room, but doubt that will happen. 2 reasons, she likes to work at her own pace and she doesn't live with me anymore, so would be a big inconvenience for her. Nice thought though.
Can't wait for pics and you letting us know how much fun you both had. Bobbin

Patti said...

Have a marvelous time at camp! Sure wish my daughter had some interest in quilting. She made a little quilt as a geometry project in ninth grade - that's it.

I've eaten dry figs - my mom would get them now and then. Very tasty! I've never had a fresh fig. I've never seen them around here fresh. I supposed if I went to a speciality store like Wild Oats I might find them.

Catherine said...

Have a wonderful time! It sounds like you'll have one of those incredibly special times that will be nothing but good memories!

Fresh figs?? Never even seen them around here! They sound yummy!

Linda said...

Have a wonderful time at quilt camp Libby. Oh yum fresh figs, brings back memories from when I used to visit with my nana, hmm and fresh guava's.....

Julia said...

Have lots of fun at camp. How nice that your daughter is going with you.
The squirrels must know that Harper isn't feeling well right now. :)

Crazy for Primitive Quilts & Gardens said...

Have a great time at quilt camp!!! Lucky girl!

Lol think of how many entrances to your yard those squirrels are going to attempt while you are gone :o) (I guess I shouldn't tell you that I feed mine and have 4 resident squirrels and 2 little chipmunk/gopher thingys in my yard)

Quilt Nut said...

quilt camp sounds like lots of fun. have a great time!

Kathie said...

Have a great time at quilt camp...of course I am interesting in what you will be making there with the pile of supplies...any hints?
what kind of frames are those?
is that what you always use, is it square?
Kathie

anne bebbington said...

Libby - have a great time with you daughter - double the fun :o)

McIrish Annie said...

Have a great time at camp!! and I'm very surprised that your squirrels don't just climb over your fence. Our little guys are quite adept at that and are quite the "tightrope" walkers across the top of the pickets.

Stina said...

Have a good time at Quilt Camp Libby... enjoy!!!!
Love to see pictures when you get back!!

Screen Door said...

Have a wonderful job.... Love the supplies you are bringing...Ransom and I are convinced the squirrels are the work of the devil himself. They torment Ransom all day...

Darlene said...

Oh my goodness, you're going to Quilt Camp in the Pines - woohoo! You and The Princess are going to have a wonderful time - can't wait to get the report!

Judy said...

Oww.... taking your book to get it signed, good idea!! Sounds like a heavenly class! Have a great time!

Stephanie said...

Hey Libby, I am very excited as well and it looks like we are going to be class mates! Woo-Hoo! dont worry, I wont stalk you, lol! And you know it just clicked that that is 'the' Joe Cunningham, what a dunce I can be!

Carin said...

Good job on the road block. Sounds like the princess is getting into this whole sewing thing.

Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

No fig trees in our neck of the woods, but cherry trees and crab apples instead. lol* :)

Have a great time at quilt camp!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Have an awesome time at quilt camp and how fun to spend time with your daughter as well. it will be fun to see your pictures from your get away. Those dang little furry things just won't take a hint will they, LOL. Safe travels

Hugs - karen

katelnorth said...

Mmmm, fresh figs - my favourite. Hope you have fun at quilt camp!

Guðrún said...

So you are still having battles with the squirrels. Have a great time at the quilting camp.

paula, the quilter said...

A whole week -- how fun! Retreats around here are usually only 2.5 days. Gosh that sounds like fun. I've been thwarting (love the sound of that word: thwart) the rabbits around here. It is getting to be too much fun. Speaking of fun, have some at Quilt Camp.

Carole said...

Have fun at quilt camp! Looking forward to reading all about it! Cheers!

Kathy Wagner said...

I am green with envy...what a great way to enjoy the summer!
Have a fantastic time and tell us all about it!

Berglind said...

Have a wonderful time with your princess!

Karen said...

You and those squirrels! LOL.
Have fun at camp. And you get to take Princess with you. Take lots of pictures.
I don't think I have ever eaten a fig. Are they similar to a plum in taste?

Marilyn R said...

Have a great time at quilt camp! Having your daughter along will sure double the fun!

Perry said...

I am sure you will have a great time at your Quilt Camp. Fresh figs are great, and they make super jam. I guess no one makes jam or jelly anymore but Fig jelly is really, really good. Squirrels, they really are a nuisance, aren't they?

ROZ said...

We had a beautiful fig tree in our yard. I loved those figs. And I used to make a delicious fig jam, too. But I developed a kidney stone, and it turned out that eating figs was bad for me! Sigh! My husband chopped the tree down. He planted a guava in its place.

LBP said...

Have fun at quilt camp. My cousin goes to a quilt camp here in Virginia and has a ball! She is a very good quilter, unlike me, who just plugs along as well as I can! LOL!

Linda

julieQ said...

Have fun!!! Preparations for a fun trip...hope is all you hope for!

Wendy said...

Have a great time at camp and how special to have DD come along, you'll have a blast together.
I can't wait to hear all about the adventures.

Connie W said...

Going to quilt camp sounds so good, and with your daughter, perfection. Enjoy!

Hummingbird Chats said...

Libby,
Please go over to my blog, I have something special there for you.
~~smiles~~ Katie

Eileen said...

Oh. haven't visited for awhile. You're away at camp with DD. What fun.

The thought of fresh figs goes way back to my childhood in the San Jauquin valley. So good. It's been years since I tasted one.

Susie said...

Hi Libby,
Hope you're having a wonderful time. I enjoyed reading about those figs. Both sets of my grandparents had huge mission fig trees and we would eat them out of hand warm from the sun. Grandma made the most delicious fig jam. We have a tree but it has never produced even one fig! (are there male and female fig trees?) Probably a silly question but I can't imagine why it is "barren"
xo

Yvonne said...

I hope you had a great time, but then, how could you not. Great company....classes and fabrics and sewing, oh my!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Wow! I had no idea that is what a fig looked like - especially the inside! I can't even imagine eating it!