Monday, July 07, 2008

*whew* I think I can safely say, 'Things are getting back to normal.' On second thought maybe I should say, 'Life is getting into a routine once again.' That is something that surely has been lacking over the last couple of weeks. Rather than tending to my usual schedule, I find myself wanting to sit and chit chat with The Princess or just plop down in the middle of the day and watch something on television. Not something I want to incorporate into my days.
Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts sent our way for Harper, her surgery and recovery. That first day can be easily summed up in one word - BRUTAL! I was a Nervous Nellie just waiting for the call that all was well. But none of us was prepared for how out of it our normally bright-eyed girl was going to be. We took shifts of sitting on the floor giving her lots of petting and gentle talk that first night. Pain management was going to be key. Since she couldn't tell us if or where it hurt that was a task in itself. Hubby and I got about 2 hours sleep that first night. Each day has improved greatly.

Today was our first follow up appointment. They removed the wound dressing and the pain patch that was stapled to her shoulder. No running or jumping for the next 8 weeks. She is only allowed outdoors to relieve herself. No walks. Not even to The Promised Land or the mailbox. Not that she would really want to. She is having the worst hair day ever. Shaved from ankle to hip on the left rear leg, a 6" square shaved on her left shoulder for the pain patch, and each front leg has a little patch missing for IV's. It will all be worth it when she can walk and jump pain-free once again.
After I got a good night's sleep on Thursday, I dedicated myself to getting the last stitches in the Not A Secret Anymore Deadline Quilt. It is now bound and has a hanging sleeve, but no label just yet. We all got to admire it in the dining room on 4th of July - 2 full days ahead of the modified deadline!I didn't spend much time in the garden last week. Just enough time to bring in a colander full of salad greens.
This morning I was out bright and early to check on the rest of my neglected veggies. It became quickly evident that I had not been keeping an eye on things as I should. This happy fella weighs just shy of 7 pounds! I did pick the first 2 tomatoes of the year. We are barbecuing burgers tonight and these will be just perfect.
The pepper patch was happily growing away, too. Enough to roast a small batch to garnish those same burgers - including the first jalapenos *spicy*
After a couple of shopping excursions, I did find just what I wanted to embellish my Four Seasons Swap Summer Quilt. I hope to get that done this evening and have it ready for mailing by the end of the week. Now that The Princess' quilt is done, I've gone back to getting some stitches in the Mourning Quilt from Prairie Children and Their Quilts. I layered a quilt for machine quilting practice before I start stitching on Fever. Then there are the multitude of quilts rolling around in my head just waiting to get started . . . isn't quilting fun?

25 comments:

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Bless Harpers heart... she will be good as new before you know it ... I do know how hard it is to keep these doggies down after surgery...whew...

That Zuchinni would be great for baking as big as it is... slice in half ..scoop out center seeds,fill with sausage and cheese and bread crumbs... bake in pan with about 1/2 " of water... dh says its good... I havent eaten it due to the meat ... but he says thumbs up

Susie said...

Harper looks like she's been through quite the ordeal, poor baby!
I know it will be worth it when she's able to do the things she loves.
Wow, that's quite the zucchini! Those tomatoes are gorgeous. With the heat we're having, we'll have some soon I hope!
xo

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Your poor little doggy. How sad he looks lying there. I hope he's good as new soon.
Your patriotic quilt is to die for. Love it!!!!

Catherine said...

Harper looks so sad lying there! But after that eight weeks, I hope she'll be up and running about doing all her favourite things. She's obviously got very good care!
Your veggies look wonderful! We're heading to a farmer's market on Wednesday and hoping to get some local produce -- finally!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Poor Harper, but she is in a house full of love....and because of this her recovery will be quick.

Stephanie D. said...

With all that love and attention, I'll betcha Harper will be trying to run and jump before those 8 weeks are up--and then you'll be wishing she was a little bit sedated!

What a Zucchini! Aren't you glad you didn't have to birth that thing????

Carol said...

Bless Harper's heart...she looks just like my Zack did when he had his done...they are so sweet and pitiful...she'll be good as new. Zack walks with us all the time, back to chasing lizards around the pool, and chasing his ball. He's a happy, happy dog again. Love your quilt!

loulee1 said...

It's good to know that Harper is on the mend, the Princess is home and settled and life is returning to normal.
Enjoy your home grown goodies.

Yvonne said...

Poor puppy....hopefully the worst is behind you.
Your veggies look yummy and the quilt is awesome, gorgeous, wonderful..... :)

Screen Door said...

I'm glad Harper's doing better. Love the vege's. Have fun quilting---stay cool....

Stina said...

I hope for Harpers recovery that it will be an easy one...Take care of her!! Give her a lot of extra goodies and love... :o)

KCQuilter said...

Such wonderful TLC Harper is getting! That'll do the trick. Love your quilt for "the princess"--what a treasure. And yummy, yummy, yummy on the garden greens.

Darlene said...

Oh, I hurt so much for Harper - I can only imagine how you all must feel. She'll be back to normal in no time.

Wow, your garden bounty is wonderful.

I know you're super happy to have The Princess home again. Enjoy!

Judy said...

I will never understand their idea of where to shave for surgery. They always seem to go too far, poor baby.
Glad she's getting better.

McIrish Annie said...

Glad Harper is on the mend! your tomatoes look awesome. I have lots of little flowers but nothing else :(

But off to the farmer's market after work today to pick up some local goodness

Karen said...

Well, that's quite a zucchini. Poor Harper, but isn't it fortunate that she was able to get this surgery. But for now, the poor thing!

Guðrún said...

Well done, finishing the quilt :) I am glad that Harper is slowly getting better. My boy has a bad hairday too, I will post a picture soon.

Katie said...

So glad for Harper's recovery report. I've thought of him often. Those pain patched are good as they bypass the tummy which can get upset with some oral pain med. It can be hard sitting up with them but he would be there for you any night you needed him. Do you have any place like a pool he can rehab in, of course after the incision is healed. Keep us posted.

yellowfarmhouse said...

So glad that Harper has this all done with and hope that the recovery goes well. Not going to the mailbox is a big thing. It's great that you have the time to spend with the princess just doing nothing. That quilt is awesome - great job and what a treasure.

hugs - Karen

ROZ said...

That eagle quilt is really outstanding!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Harper! I hope she is feeling better. Poor baby.

Chocolate Cat said...

Sounds like the break from routine was good for you. Glad Harper is improving, sounds like it was horrific! Those tomatos look so good.

Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Awww, your poor pup! And poor you as well!

Your "not a secret" quilt is just gorgeous. I LOVE it! :)

Tracey said...

i've wondered how harper did. it's *so* hard to have our furry friends hurting. so glad that she's on the mend and that is all over with!

Carole said...

Give Harper some lovin for me! Glad all went well! I just love that quilt! Gorgeous! What a treasure of memory it will be for the Princess! Enjoy the gifts from your garden! Cheers!