Monday, August 18, 2008

Buildings, so many buildings in that big city. Lots are iconic, easily recognizable and were on our list of things to see and do.
As a girl who practically swoons over all things art deco, the Chrysler Building was near the top of the list.Of course, the Empire State Building was on the list, too. I did not care to go to the top. Heights are not my favorite thing.
This is the Hearst Building - a glorious mix of old and new.
Wouldn't this building make a great quilt pattern?
The Woolworth Building. I read the biography of F. W. Woolworth in elementary school - Nickels and Dimes: The Story of F.W. Woolworth and just had to see this building for myself. It's the only high rise building construction ever paid for in cash. Sadly it is no longer open to the public.
We saw each of the waterfalls that are part of the current public art exhibit. This fall is beneath the Brooklyn bridge.
I have seen Miracle on 34th Street more times than I can begin to count making Macy's a definite stop. This sign is on the opposite side of the building from the famous Herald Square entrance. The other is a more familiar sight, but I fell for the vintage look and feel of this small neon beauty.
Once inside Macy's, my quest was to ride the wooden escalators. I wish this picture better captured the beauty of the wood. There is a patina that can only come from years of polishing. The scuffs on the risers really tell the story of all the feet that have traveled on these treasures.
Hubby and I met while working at a McDonald's. I couldn't resist a photo of this sign in Chinatown.
Then there was the Statue of Liberty. A sight that surely did not disappoint. Seeing it for myself was incredible.
What a trip! We packed a lot into 2 full days and a couple of evenings. Back at the hotel, we put our feet up and read The Times and The Post before heading home on Sunday.
Lots of flight delays and cancellations made our return trip last more than 24 hours. We were exhausted once we finally landed but so very happy to see The Princess' smiling face waiting for us at the airport. She and Harper did a great job of tending the home fires while we were gone.
It was a great trip but it sure feels good to be home - my quiet little corner of the world.

19 comments:

Shasta said...

It sounds like a great trip. I didn't know about those penny smashing machines - and now it is probably too late.

dot said...

Looka like a wonderful trip. I remember my trips tO NYC and they are fun and memoriable. It is a fun fun city.

Carol said...

What a wonderful, wonderful trip...NYC is so much fun!

Catherine said...

What a great trip it looks like you had! The picture of the escalator in Macy's is priceless!

Julie said...

Doncha just love that classic architecture? When we went to Seattle last summer, I got a bad crick in my neck. It's a wonder I didn't trip and fall flat since I was staring up all the time. But then, I'm a hick from the hills, doncha know.

Travel is wonderful 'cause it always feels so nice to get home.

Guðrún said...

The waterfalls are made by an Icelandic artist. His name is Ólafur Elíasson.

Katie said...

So glad you had a wonderful trip and sorry about the plane delays. That seems to be the normal now days. Those buildings pics are great.

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Wonderful pictures! Sounds like you had a great trip :o)

paula, the quilter said...

Love the red toenails and the tan line! And the waterfalls sound so interesting. I was going to ask who took care of Harper but you answered my question before I could ask it.

em's scrapbag said...

What a great trip. The Macey's sign was awesome. And that building would make a great quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Carin said...

What a wonderful trip! It looks like you had a blast

Kate quilts... said...

Wonderful pictures and it sounds as though you had a wonderful time. I have always dreamed to going to NYC.

Marilyn R said...

I loved the tour of The Big Apple! Thanks!

zizzybob said...

I grew up just outside of the city, but moved away 40years ago. I had been to Macy's many times and I often wondered if the wooden escalator was still there. I worked in the Chrysler building and always thought it was the most beautiful in the city. Did you get to see the lobby?
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

What fun... I understand well your concluding comment. I felt the same way about our humble and rural home after visiting Los Angeles a few years ago. I do love travel, but I love returning home even more.

Sweet P said...

Great photos of NYC! Thanks for sharing them.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

well you guys had a great time .... I love the photo of ya'll feet ROFL...

Juliann in WA said...

I have been making those little yo yos too - they are fun. And I love seeing those NY pics. We had a great trip back a few years ago but there was so much more we wanted to do. One of these days we will go back.

Carole said...

Gosh, what a wonderful trip! I'll keep you in mind next time I see a penny crusher! ;o) Thanks for sharing!