Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Remember this 'naughty girl?' Today she was given her release to resume normal activity. The only caveat was against playing Frisbee on a hillside. No problem there - this girl doesn't like to return thrown things for a second round causing all such games to end quickly. We can slowly build up daily walks and add some gentle romping in the yard. Yippee!
Here is another quick look at the quilts that I dyed with coffee, tea and vanilla over the weekend. This quilt stays on the gate leading to the backyard and endures the bright sunshine all day long.
This quilt is on the rocker at the front door during the summer months. It receives a fair amount of afternoon sun each day.
They look much better now that they've had their bath. For those that asked, but are set to 'no reply' - I use the vanilla only to add a more pleasant scent. The mixture of coffee and tea isn't particularly inviting. Like the colors, it will fade over time.
Some of you may recall that Hubby and I went to the quilt show in Long Beach last month. There was one additional purchase at the show that I haven't yet shared. Say hello to my new friend, Caasi (pronounced kay-cee which is Isaac spelled backward after Isaac Singer of sewing machine fame.)
We didn't set out to make this purchase, but I have been looking and dreaming for some time. With current space limitations, it certainly didn't seem to be the right time. But the 'show price' made it most difficult to pass up. And dear, sweet Hubby was the one who really encouraged going ahead right now. We delayed delivery until our return from NYC. Now I'm ready and rarin' to go. I'll have a lesson to get started next week.
Because of those space limitations, the table is currently set up at 5 feet although it can expand to 10 feet when we have more room. Guess I'll be making smaller quilts for a few months. Wanting something to practice on after my lesson, I got out the 5" squares box yesterday, pulled out 72 squares, and made a Disappearing 9 Patch.
I 'Googled' the name to make sure I was calling it by the right thing and found a tutorial for more ways to use the Disappearing 9 Patch blocks. I saved half of the blocks from the first top and and after a little play, came up with this.
I am planning on using the black to turn it into a medallion center and adding some vines and berries or other applique to the orange.
Again, I saved half of the blocks and came up with these little hour glass patches. Putting 4 together gave me two 12-ish" blocks. I have never really played with blocks and manipulated them like this before. It was fun to lay them out over and over getting a new design each time.
Today I went back to my faithful scrap basket, and pulled out fabrics for 16 patches made from 1" strips. I'm using a pattern from the book Hey, Nonny Nonny that makes a quilt that finishes at 6" x 8".
Big pieces, little pieces or anything in between - it just doesn't matter . . . quilting is fun!

39 comments:

KCQuilter said...

Wow, congratulations on your new "toy"! Can't wait to see all the wonderful things you'll turn out on it! And woohoo for Harper!!!!!

Karen said...

Oh, I like that vanilla idea. I love the scent of vanilla.
Does the quilt on the porch really fade out? I put a fabric flag that I had pieced on my front porch. It was pretty much faded out after about three or four months but not attractively.

Marcie said...

Ah-ha! Does the new machine explain why you are sewing at the dinner table? Good for you Libby! That is very exciting for you!

Screen Door said...

Three cheers for Harper and the new toy. I don't get to play with mine near enough...I thought the spinning pin wheel was my favorite, but that watermelon quilt makes a great snapshot.....

Jeanne said...

So good to hear that Harper is free to roam and jump on the furniture. *s* Your quilts look very vintage now. I especially love the watermelon quilt on the chair outside. Congrats on your new machine! May you spend many wonderful hours together.

Karen said...

The dyed quilts look great and how about that Caasi!

Joyce said...

That's quite a machine. What kind is it?

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Lovely new machine! Lucky girl! And I am glad your pup is given the free rein to run :o)

paula, the quilter said...

Two items of great news! Miss Harper has a medical release and you have a new addition to the household. After the fiasco of my latest quilt at the LA quilter (long story) I am heavily considering something along this line.

Judy said...

Finally arrived hey! Looks good! It should be fun to work with all that extra room under the arm!

May Britt said...

The quilts looks great in front of the house. Do you really let it hang out all time??

The Quilt Buddy said...

WOW! I was also at the Long Beach show, but I didn't get anything nearly as fancy at your new machine!

The quilts that you dyed look great! They look so inviting on your porch and fence! I bet that everyone in the neighborhood is jealous!

Thanks for sharing! Have fun operating your CAASI!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Don't you just love new toys....great to see Harper back to normal....love all the quilts...

Catherine said...

Congratulations, Harper!!! You must be so relieved to get the go-ahead for her to get back to normal routines!
I too can't wait to see what you will turn out on the new "toy".

Kim said...

Your Tin Lizzie is going to be wonderful. I've heard all good things about her! Great news about Harper, too. She's looking pretty happy.

anne bebbington said...

You know Libby I think a lot of the disappearing nine patches I've seen around can be a bit blah, boring and samey but I really love your plaid version - who can't love plaids eh?

Carol said...

Libby that is just the very best news...Harper is free to do what she wants and loves...Howie and Zack are so excited for her! Me too. Your new machine is great! Have tons of fun!

Stina said...

Ahhh...that is good news for Harper girl!!! And for you all...
And your new machine...fantastic...I´m so envy of you... :o) Good luck in all the practising...on your new quilts!!! :o)

Caron said...

Oh I LOVE your little quilt on the gate!!! You must live somewhere where it doesn't rain much. Here in Michigan, I don't think that would work. I've been looking for some taupe fabric lately and can't find the right thing. I think coffee/tea staining might just do the trick. Thanks for making me remember it! Maybe this weekend...

Marilyn R said...

Harper is liberated! Yeah! It will be fun to watch what you create with Cassi. I love the twist on the disappearing 9 patch. It gives it a lot of interest.

QuiltedSimple said...

Love the new toy! And I love how your quilts taht you dyed came out - I'll have to try that on something.
Kris

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Just love Caasi. Wish I had one too. You'll be turning quilts out even faster.

McIrish Annie said...

I am sooo jealous!! that is my next machine upgrade. I was just talking about it with my sister in Florida yesterday. Can't wait to see how you like it!! and so happy to hear Harper is back to normal activities!

Stephanie D. said...

Shriek! You got a Tin Lizzie!! And Hubby made you do it!!!

What a great guy!

quilterpolly said...

I love how you hang you quilts up outside. I have a quilt hanging on my front door and leave it up all the time but change it for the seasons...Thanks for the response on the vanilla. Glad Harper is better.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Have fun with Caasi, there's no stopping you now!! Watch Libby go...! ;) Hugs for Harper, what great news.

Carole said...

Congrads on your new toy! I'll admit, it makes machine quilting so much easier! Glad to read that Harper can resume life! Have fun playing with both Harper and Caasi!

Katie said...

Such a happy post! I see why Harper is smiling. Kipper and I are smiling for him. And for that new play toy of yours. Congrats. Playing with fabric and blocks is really fun, too. Enjoy.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

ok so your lizzy is a new machine and quilting frame? or is that for your grace frame? Either way how wide is the neck on that baby! It looks wide :O)... very cool girly :O)... lots of fun to be had there!!!

Glad Harper got her release! :O)

Marisa said...

Congrats on your long arm. Looks like it will keep you very busy for a while. Awesome!! I'm a little jealous. My mom has a long arm, and she eventually did find the room to expand it to the 10 ft. size, and it is much more useful now that we can get full queen tops on it.

yellowfarmhouse said...

Holy smokeys Libby - I've been away a few days and look at everything you've gotten done - whew I'm tired, LOL. Congrats on Harper getting the A-OK on romping - she will be a happy camper. It's so hard to keep the down. Love your tea stained quilts and they look great outside. Sometimes I think I'm to careful with my quilts and should really enjoy them and what happens, happens. Looks like someone will be busy learning a new skill - how exciting for you. Hope you have a great long holiday weekend.

Hugs- Karen

Julia said...

Oh, what wonderful news for Harper!!

I am so excited for you about your new "toy"! I have a friend interested in getting a Tin Lizzie so I will be very interested to hear how you like it.

Guðrún said...

CONGRATULATIONS on buying the new machine. You must be pretty excited to get started. What do you do with your quilts which are outside when it rains?

Yvonne said...

Very happy to hear that Harper can play now. :) Congrats on your new baby.....can't wait to see what you quilt.

Love the quilts and your dying efforts....very nice!

Susie said...

This is a huge machine! I know you'll love using it to create your beautiful quilts.
So glad Harper has been cleared to romp and play!
xo

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Sorry to hear that Harper has been in the wars, but it sounds like she is on the mend. Nice quilts you've been making.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love that quilt hanging on your back gate! And I"ve always wanted to make that watermelon quilt! Yours is wonderful!

Kim said...

what kind of toy is that ? ANd what is the throat space??? I'm looking for a different machine for the frame....

Perry said...

I like the quilts you have outside. That is a novel idea for sure, but they sure dress up the area. I especially like the one on the front porch.