Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Vacation trips are fun but it's always nice to get home again. Sights, sounds, smells - everything is familiar. It is easy to get right back into your routine. Then again, what girl doesn't love a little surprise? I know I sure do. Look at what was in the mail waiting for me from Julie at Through the Barn Door, a sweet little twig basket filled with vintage threads on wooden spools. See the spool in the top right side of the basket? Twenty-five cents is the price stamped into the wood. The Princess didn't really see what the deal was until I told her what I pay for thread today.
But wait, the fun didn't stop there. Julie also included this darling little pinwheel doll quilt. It's going to look great in my house - my kind of colors. There is even a cute little label on the back.
I really must get better at labeling my quilts. Juliann at unwritten issued a challenge to label quilts during the month of August. I gave a half-hearted 'sure I'll join in' just as we were leaving for our trip. I told her to stay after me or I'd continue my slacker ways. Looks like I'd better get busy with a marker and fabric, over half the month gone and not a single label to may credit. Shame on me!
So you ask,'Libby, what have you been doing with your time?' I've been watching the Olympics. Oh I prepare a meal now and then, manage to run the vacuum before we are all covered in dog hair, water the garden during commercials, even the laundry hamper is empty. But I don't peel myself away from the television for very long at all. We don't watch a lot of professional sports. We don't follow any college programs. But the Olympics is a whole other story. The event doesn't matter, winning doesn't matter (okay maybe a little bit.) It's level of dedication it takes to make a team. The passion for your chosen sport or event. The pride of representing your country when all the eyes of the world are on you. I just can't get enough.
All that time in the comfy chair makes for a good opportunity to get some hand sewing done. I have completed the applique on my Halloween quilt. Next I became obsessed with making yo-yo's. I made my first yo-yo for this little pin cushions and knew that I must make more.
I might use them for something, but for now they look so darned cute in their jar just sitting on a shelf. Now I have gone back to hexagon basting. I need lots and lots and lots more to finish up my quilt.
That little baggy of hexagons doesn't look nearly as cute as a jar full of yo-yo's.
Harper is back to her regular routine, too. Here she is in her favorite spot in the back yard. From this vantage point she can watch over the whole yard and keep an eye on the house, too.
The fur on her leg is starting to fill in. Her 'poodle-toe' is not as prominent as it was right after surgery. I'm not so concerned that she'll get a sunburn anymore.
Then there's the garden. Some parts are beginning to really wind down. Others, like the pepper plants, continue to produce like mad. I roasted this tray of Anaheim's this morning.
The squash is just about done for. I picked these yesterday and pulled up all but one plant.
There are enough jalapenos in this basket to make two batches of jelly this afternoon.
And just a quick peek at the rest.
The gourds have blossoms - they are going to be an abundant crop; a quick basil harvest will yield a nice batch of pesto for the freezer; the watermelon vine is healthy looking but I don't think it's going to ever bear fruit; tomatoes are bursting out all over; and the last squash plant standing.
After the closing ceremonies of the Olympics I think it will be time to think about some fall planting for winter harvests. Enough time for that, back to my chair.

32 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Your threads and mini quilt are just lovely...your thoughts on the Olympics I totally agree...Harper is looking good...

Beth said...

Is there anything you're not good at? LOL I love your garden, I never did get one like my husband promised, oh well, maybe next year. Good to see Harper is back to her old self!

Sweet P said...

Your mail goodies are terrific! You can send some butternut squash to me - it's my favorite vegetable! I bake it and stuff it with sausage and apples.

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Lovely gifts! Your veggies are great. Very healthy looking! Enjoy the Olympics. It sure has been fun, hasn't it?

Carol said...

I'm with you...no matter how wonderful the vacation is "There's no place like home."...what wonderful treats in the mail...your garden just keeps being awesome and I am doing the dance that Harper is doing so well. It's a wonderful day.

Catherine said...

I am so glad Harper is back to her normal spots!
Your veggies look wonderful. I so wish we could get fresh veggies here in the winter that hadn't been trucked for thousands of miles! They just do not taste the same as those we can get in the summer/early fall!

Quilt Hollow said...

Such an adorable little quilt that Julia sent you....I love small quilts for decorating...this one certainly fits in my house too!

Tracey said...

*whew* you have been one busy girl, haven't you? it's been wonderful catching up with you and hearing all about your trip. :o)

tami said...

Oh, I love your new doll quilt. You are a lucky girl.
The yo-yo's make a great decoration until you decide if you want to use them. I got a Clover yo-yo maker and I've been adding them as accents on a bunch of things.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

ok yoyos and veggies two of my favorite things!

That butternut squash will stay good till your next harvest in a cool dry place,, spaghetti squash will too if you harvested any of that! It just amazes me how they will do that!

Have you canned any of those Jalapenos sweet? I buy jar canned candied ones all the time they are super super :O)... I put them on or in almost everthing!

Stephanie D. said...

I'm glad to see Harper doing so well. Amazing that she doesn't get stuck with those thorns back there, but so long as she's happy...

I've loved watching the Olympics, too--when I'm not working. J-Man monopolizes the TV during the day, but he's an early-to-bed type, so by 8pm that remote is MINE, baby!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I'm really enjoying the olympics too! I"ve been out east though and staying up until about 1:30 every night watching them - that isn't good! :)

Julia said...

Hmmm, while you are sitting in that chair, you could be making and sewing labels on. lol

How do you make and freeze your pesto? My basil is growing like crazy, I was just going to dry it, but this sounds better.

Julia said...

Oh, forgot to say how glad I am that Harper is doing so well!!!! So good to see her back in her spot outside, guarding your garden bounty. :~)

Jane said...

We here in the land of Oz ,call those brown objects you are calling squash I think, Butternut pumpkins. The green ones we call Zucchini.
Butternut pumpkins make the best pumpkin soup. Only take the seeds out and make sure the skin is clean.
Leave skin on. Slice through a food processor if you have one or knife otherwise.
Braise some onion in olive oil in a deep pan with a good non stick surface, add some bacon pieces if desires, toss them around until clear and then add the pumpkin. Just cover with chicken stock.
You can add potato as well and or sweet corn if desired.
Just cook till it is mush then use a stab blender to blend it all together. The skin just melts.
Add a bit of cream and chives on top as you serve....it is a fab soup.
We do not have pumpkin in tins here.
My dad used to grow a squash called Hubbard Squash which was an odd shaped green pumpkin type vegetable and would not be seen in shops now. He grew paddocks full of them and that was in the '50's. Strange how things go in and out of fashion.

Stina said...

How lucky you were to receive such wondeful gifts...the quilt is wonderful...perfecta tyour house...and the little twig basket is gorgeous!!
And Olympics...it on here all day too!!! :o)

KCQuilter said...

Yepper, those Olympics are just the best. America can be proud. Love your thread spools--I have a few in a jar in my sewing room. Just love looking at them. And good for Harper--GO DOG GO! You've been a busy lady since you got home. I usually have to take a vacation from my vacation LOL!

Darlene said...

Wonderful surprises in the mail - so Libby! :-)

I'm really glad to see Harper back to her normal Sentry Duty - she's in charge of that backyard.

I love your little jar of yo-yos - reminds me of my big jar. They are just delightful to look at. :-)

Wendy said...

Isn't it so delightful to get something so sweet from a blogger friend. The yo-yo jar is a nice decorative piece on a shelf.
You have a lovely garden, someday I'll have a garden.

Karen said...

I have never tasted japalapeno jelly. Is that what you are making? Is it sweet tasting?
We are watching the Olympics same as you. Good thing I am retired as we stayed up really late one night watching the girls gymnastic competition. But unlike you, I have not been doing the hand stitching while watching. I should have been.

Guðrún said...

The spools are great and the quilt also. I am glad Harper is getting better, now she can watch if the squirrels are coming.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Enjoyed eading about your NY trip especially about seeing Suede! I am adicted to that show. And those smashed coins brought back memories. We use to go on vacation in VT at Lake Memphramagog and there was a train track running though the place we rented a cabin from. My sister and I would put pennies on the tracks everyday so the Canadian National train could flatten them. I'm pretty sure I still have them somehwere.

Katie said...

I was just about to ask about Harper. So good to see her back to her special place in the yard. I'm into the Olympis too. So nice to see such dedication and talent. And good sportsmanship. Only problem is staying up too late. Disadvantage of being in the Eastern time zone. Today it caught up with me and I gave into a long nap.

Carin said...

I adore your Halloween quilt! I love to make yoyo's too.

The Quilt Buddy said...

You are so lucky to be the recipient of those goodies!

I am glad to see that I am not the only person who thinks that yo-yos and hexagons are addictive!

I love all of your work!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Yes, all my plans are ..."after the Olympics ones" as well!
those suffolk puffs do look great in ajar, my sister has a doll where they are all the legs!
Gorgeous treasure acquired there, tracey

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

can not wait to see what you do with the yoyo's.Lovely little spools of thread. I think I may have one that has .10 cents on from TG&Y. A very old five and dime store in the South.

Belle said...

Those little yo-yos are so cute. I love yo-yos.

The basket of threas was a very nice gift, the doll quilt was also very nice.

You plants look good.

Belle

sara said...

Your garden is so enviable! And your yo-yo's are cute to boot! I appreicated yoru coments abut the Olypmics. Not many bloggers are talking baout it, and I know that we all feel the same way you do!

Finn said...

Glad to see you are home safe and sound again. A wonderful trip and good memories I am sure. How neat that you got to hook up with Annie *vbs*
The yoyos are adorable, and from the look of everything else, you are busy, busy, busy. Keep stitchin', hugs, Finn

yellowfarmhouse said...

Girl you pack a lot into your posts. First off I'm glad that Harper is back guarding the yard and looking like everything is growing back well. Your garden is producing some yumminess and your yoyo's look adorable spilling out of that jar. Your little quilt in the mail was a nice surprise. Lots going on in Libbyland. Have a great weekend :)

Hugs - Karen

Carole said...

Harper looks confy! Wish our garden was doing as well as yours. For some reason, we have acquired some kind of pet that killed everything from the roots up! I'm wondering if I didn't bring that with my last batch of plants. It certainly points in that direction. I just love your work! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!