Saturday, August 02, 2008

When life gives you lemons - make lemonade. When your CSA gives you carrots - make carrot cake!I have been wanting to try out making carrot cake for some time now. When the carrot harvest became abundant there seemed no time like the present. I used the recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. The batter looked a bit heavy and dry, so I added in some pineapple chunks and a little of the juice. It turned out to be a great idea - the cake is moist and sweet.
The pepper plants continue to produce lots and lots of peppers. I picked another good basket full yesterday morning and decided to find a way to use them all for dinner. Google to the rescue! I found this recipe and got to work. If you get the chance to roast your own peppers, I encourage you to do so. They make the kitchen smell delightful.
Here's the souffle right before we cut into it. Again I made a couple of modifications to the recipe. I left out the corn, used extra sharp cheddar in place of Monterrey Jack, and added a little mustard powder for some *zing*
It's a generous recipe. There is enough left over that we will have it for breakfast. Heat up some tortillas, slice up some fruit - it'll leave the family wondering why they have to eat cold cereal so much of the time.
Now for just a little quilt content, one last look at the Four Seasons Swap Quilts. First are the quilts that I was lucky enough to receive.



And the quilts that I made.

A whole year's worth of fun that will be enjoyed for a long time to come.

22 comments:

Mary said...

The quilts are just adorable! Did you swap to the SAME PERSON each season too? Meaning....not different recepients but just one in particular? The ones you received and the ones you sent scream ME!

The Calico Cat said...

I'm going to try your soufle - skipping the pappers - an using fresh corn - We have several ears!

Mar said...

such cute quilt Libby. yummmm, now I'm hungry!

Guðrún said...

I just love carrot cake and yours looks yummy.

Judy said...

Well it certainly looks yummy, even thought I'm not a fan of carrot cake. I could scrape off the icing and eat that though!

All the quilts are fabulous! I might have to do that swap next time!

Stina said...

Your carrot cake looks deliscious...my hubby makes a wonderful carrot cake...moist and very yummy...I cannot make it the way he does!! Belive me I have tried!! :o)And all your Season quilts are fantastic...the ones you made and the ones you received!! I´m still waiting for mine... :o)

Jeanne said...

I think you did very well on the Four Season Swap, both sending and receiving cute quilts. Please save me a piece of carrot cake. *s*

Rabbit Stitchings said...

I love carrot cake!!!! Yummy... the pepper dish I bet was just wonderful!!!

The quilts on both ends just super!

Carole said...

Lovely quilts! Oh... and that cake, looks delicious. Did you make cream cheese frosting? It's the bestest! ;o) Have a great weekend!

Darlene said...

Carrot cake is a huge favorite of mine. Yummy!

Adorable quilts, Libby!

Bren said...

Carrot cake is my favorite and the pineapple is a great addition.
Love the quilts!!! ALL of them are great!

Julia said...

MMMMMMMMMM, carrot cake!! I love carrot cake. Did you do a cream cheese frosting? I am going to have to make one of those in the real near future. And the souffle, I am going to have to try that one too.

Sweet P said...

Now I'm hungry! Can I come over?

Catherine said...

You made and received some wonderful quilts!
The carrot cake looks delicious! Farmer's market for me on Tuesday.

Katie said...

Do you put sour cream in your carrot cake? It is my favorite. I love your swap quilts.

Dixie said...

Your carrot cake looks delicious and makes me want to bake one! I love your picture collage of all the Four Seasons Swap Quilts. I feel so fortunate to have received the Spring Strawberry quilt from you which I will treasure forever, and am so happy you like the Summer Sunflowers quilt I made for you!

Chocolate Cat said...

I love hearing all you have harvested out of your garden and how you are using it. I agree , I love the smell of roasted capsicums!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Anything left that I can have - it all looks yummy, including the quilts.

Hugs - karen

Ahava Hopps Brooke said...

Yummm. I want to eat at your house. ;-)

Marcie said...

You are turning into a technogeek! Wonderful! Yummy looking recipes too!

Stephanie D. said...

I don't know if I'm drooling from the carrot cake, the green chile casserole, or the quilts!

Karen said...

I love every quilt you made for the Four Seasons swap. Can you make me one of each? And have them here next week? LOL! You received great quilts also. I think it was an all around good project for all the participants.