Saturday, September 20, 2008

Can you take one more quilt-less food post? I hope so, because that's all I've got going on right now.
Farmer's market on Wednesday yielded a nice haul of tomatoes. Don't these jars look bright and colorful sitting on the counter?
Today we had a little celebration. A once in a lifetime party . . . the date is the same as our zip code. What's a party without a big meal? We had chips and dips served in a favorite set that belonged to my mom. I am sure those bowls make the dip even tastier.


We had Swedish meatballs with homemade egg noodles. The taste of the noodles makes it well worth the effort.
To keep the food pyramid in balance, we had fresh green beans from this week's CSA box. And for dessert, a braided sweet bread filled with apples, raisins and cream cheese. (There's plenty leftover to enjoy with coffee and the Sunday paper in the morning.)

I wanted the menu to be special. Hubby and The Princess selected their favorites from my bag of tricks in the kitchen. It was a fun day - okay, it took two days - preparing everything for a celebration that was unique to our little family. I think they will remember it for a long, long time. It's not just every day that you get to celebrate your zip code.
Another celebration is in order. Catherine from Quilt Obsession gave me the Wylde Woman award. I always thought I might be a little wild . . . but now I know for sure that I am Wylde. Thank you Catherine, you are so sweet to think of me.And now for the rules:
1. You can give it to one or one hundred or any number in between - it's up to you. Make sure you link to their site in your post.
2. Link back to http://www.TammyVitale.com/ so Tammy can go visit all these wonderful women.
Purpose of the Award: To send love and acknowledgement to women who brighten your day, teach you new things and live their lives fully with generosity and joy.

You know that I think each and everyone of you that I have come to know through blogging brighten my day, teach me new things and are generous and joyful. So I send it out to each of you, my blogging friends.
I hope in the coming week I will find my way back to some quilting. There has been precious little of it going on around here of late. I had all sorts of hopes and plans for a nice bonding session with fabrics and machine this week and it just never came to be. I took some time to ponder why I just haven't been getting around to any quilting projects and the light finally came on. I don't currently have a place to keep my machine set up. Instead I have to set up at the dining table and then clear everything away for meal time. Normally, I will sit at the machine for a few minutes here and there throughout the day. Lately if I haven't had hours to dedicate, I just haven't bothered to set up at all. I took my troubles to Hubby last night. He helped me find a corner in our bedroom that I can set up a small table. In the meantime, I need to catch up on blog reading and commenting. I am woefully behind and hopefully by this time next week, I will be back in the quilting groove.

28 comments:

Stephanie D. said...

Mmmmm, that bread sounded good! I never heard of celebrating your zip code, but what the heck. Any excuse for homemade bread!

Hubby the hero came through again, did he? Good for him!

Stina said...

You are amazing Libby... I just love to see what you are up to every day...and your postings actually drag me out in the kitchen...and that is a good thing!! And I made your Tomato pie the other day... just made a more Swedish touch of it... ;o)

Lorraine said...

those tomatoes look lovely......all ready for the winter.......I hope you find your quilting mojo again soon...I have been in the sewing room almost all of today and yesterday trying to get some things finished before I go back to work...sadly my leave is at an end.....! I have some PIF gifts to make and some swaps so need to get those out of the way so I can make some headway on quilting projects for the new baby and for the other grandies...so much to do .....so little time..LOL (even less now I am going back to work...!) but I can't afford to stay home and I do love my job....!

Char said...

I love reading your blog. And when I read the word "ponder" today I understood why. That is one of my favorite words and it is a word rarely used by most people. You speak my language. I enjoy every one of your blogs. I love hearing about whatever you are doing.

Joyce said...

With all that canning and cooking it's no wonder you have no time left to sew!

Screen Door said...

Everyone needs that sewing machine up--- it just calls to you... husbands to come in handy..

Catherine said...

Your menu for the zip code celebration sounds delicious!! Love the idea!!
Homemade bread. Mmmmm ...

Guðrún said...

I try to avoid your posts now, not because I don´t like them, it is because I get so hungry when I see all the delicious food you are making. I wish I had a little bit of your energy in the kitchen!

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

What a wonderful celebration! Yummy!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Don't think we can copy your zip code/date party idea here, we'll have to find another excuse! The menu prepared looks completely yummy, thanks for sharing.

Patti said...

Oh - can I come to eat at your house?

OK - here's an easy solution. Who says you have to eat at the dining room table? Ever heard of TV trays LOL? If you don't have those then a coffee table or even a lap will do. We all must make sacrifices for our art!

I've also done next to no quilting this past week. I think I must be in some kind fo slup. Not sure why - sure wish it would go away!

Julie Bagamary said...

I love they way you find a reason to celebrate with your family. What a great thing to do!!

Shasta said...

You're right, it isn't often you get to celebrate your zip code. Mine is strange enough that it wouldn't work as a date, but what a great idea to celebrate it properly! I think I should be doing it on those odd dates like 01/01/01, etc. I think I should start preparing for 10/10/10. That braided bread looks amazing.

paula, the quilter said...

Autumn is an extremely busy time of year, don't you think? My tomatoes are finally coming on and I have a tidy pile on the counter waiting to be canned. I have already done the peaches and basil and zucchini. Today I dug the onions and laid them on top of the soil to dry. And I made krautburgers today! I had a small head of cabbage from the farmers market that I did not want to waste. Will you share the recipe for the bread? Pretty please?

Lindah said...

I love it! --Celebrating your zip code and receiving a Wylde Woman award. And not only that...look at all those beautiful jars of red tomatoes! and the equally beautiful braided, filled bread! How cool is that! I hearby honor you with a Cool Woman award! :-)
Blessings!

Karen said...

I misread your post and thought you said you were setting up in the bathroom! Now that's a new place to sew!
You are too much! You made your own noodles. Please come to my house for a couple weeks.

Quilt Nut said...

oh yum your dinner looks tasty. what a great idea to celebrate your zip code

can you share the sweet bread recipe please and thanx?

Susie said...

You zip code celebration sounds wonderful and unique. What a yummy menu! (our zip code date would never arrive!)
My grandma had dishes just like your mom's. I can't recall the name of the pattern, but I have a couple of her pieces here.
xo

Chocolate Cat said...

Oh that meal sounded so good! What a great reason for a party!! I love reading your 'food' posts so even when you get back to quilting please continue to let us know whats happening in your kitchen!!!

The Calico Cat said...

That braided sweet bread sounds so good - I am going to make an apple cake with some of my CSA apples.

(I was bout to ask for the recipe - but the I recognized that bread word & realized that I don't have space in the kitchen to make bread...)

Erin said...

what a fantastic celebration!! the food looked so yummy!! I would love to make that bread...congrats on your award too!!!!

Judy said...

All I can say about the dinner is WOW! Looks like Thanksgiving or something.

Now about the quilting, I know you said the 3rd bedroom is dark and small but isn't there any way to shove aside the furniture and set up your table in there?

quilterpolly said...

you should be grateful of what you have accomplished....You are so good at cooking and showing pictures your the best at what you do and quilting will come soon when you are enjoying all the canning from the fall:)
Polly

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Love your mom's dishes...used to eat out of some just like at my mom's.I loved the tomatoes...and the other canned things. That tomato pie looked divine...and your little quilt is fab. I just know that you are going to enter a quilt show with a quilt you did...and win the best of show. Amazing. The leaves are starting to show a little change here too.... Autumn is definitely coming. loved the zip code dinner! But mine would have to come in March...and have numbers left over.

Perry said...

What a great idea for a celebration. Love the menu you picked out. And your tomatoes look wonderful! I know what you mean about finding time to do any quilting, I can't seem to get much done right now either.

Wendy said...

How fun to find something to celebrate, your meal looks scrumptious and so do the tomatoes. I'm glad you found a sewing corner, it will make a huge difference.

Karen said...

Like your Chip & Dip set. I think my Mom's set is still around. If I am remembering correctly, it was glass with a brown and gold pattern on it.....leaves, I think. Now I could go for some chips & dip!

Marilyn R said...

Celebrating the zip code here would never work, but I love your idea. I will just have to find something else to celebrate! When I use to can tomato juice and jams I just loved to line them up on the counter and admire them. It was kind of like a pat on the back for all of the hard work. You are going to be enjoying those canned goods over the winter!