Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I am ready for autumn in every way imaginable. I have said it many times before: Fall is my favorite season. I just don't happen to live in a region that captures all that fall has to offer and so I look for it wherever I can.
On a tour of the garden this morning, found a few leaves turning yellow on the apricot tree.Surely that is a sign.
But wait. The watermelon vine is still producing blossoms . . . I'll just ignore that and continue with my manufactured fall.
How about some spicy cookies? Linda shared her recipe for Soft Molasses Cookies in a recent post. Just reading the ingredient list made my mouth water and I had to give them a try. I've snitched a couple - yummy!
While The Princess was living in Germany, she kept up with the goings on around here via my blog. She watched as I discovered the joys of baking bread, knowing that she would get to enjoy what she had only been able to see in photographs. But she arrived just as the heat of summer came and there wasn't much bread baking happening. The Princess is a sandwich kind of girl. She has been dropping some less than subtle hints that she is tired and bored of salads every day for lunch. Won't she be surprised when she comes home from classes today to find this in the kitchen?
Today is also CSA pick-up and Farmer's market. I'm hoping for enough tomatoes and apples to have another round of canning and saucing. We are just about at the end of tomatoes, but apples should continue for just a bit longer.
All of the time in the kitchen hasn't left much quilting time. In the evenings, I stitch away on the hexagons which keeps my hands busy and a smile on my face. I'm sure a new project is just around the corner . . . stay tuned.

22 comments:

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Oh YUMMY! Coming to your blog makes me hungry, lol. I love those cookies. I have a good recipe too. Might give them a try this weekend. What a great fall idea :o)

dee said...

I would happily send you a bucket of leaves to pretend with. My son has gone into hiding. This is his least favorite time since he's the Cleanup Crew around here. I can hear the meaning and groaning already. Maybe if I make him some of those yummy cookies he'll be happier....nah. We live in deep forest of hundreds of trees and vines. All the cookies in the world won't help.

Joyce said...

Those cookies look delicious. Lots of leaves are turning here. yesterday my daughter gave me some of their grapes and pears so today I've been making grape jelly, pear jam and pear chutney. The house smells great but I'm tired.

Screen Door said...

I can just smell the bread from here... lucky girl. Hope she's enjoying classes.

MARCIE said...

Those are my favorite cookies. My grandmother gave me that recipe 40 + years ago. They feel like an autumn cookie, don't they? With sugar and spice! Your bread looks great also!

Guðrún said...

I could send you some leaves if you want :)

Lorraine said...

I loved the comment you left on Linda's blog with regard to her problems with AT&T...!! don't you hate it when companies get so big they just don't care about their customers anymore..! loved your baking pics.....we are heading into spring here and I love spring but would like to sleep thru summer and wake up again in autumn...not a fan of the hot weather!

Stina said...

Oh you are a wiz in the kitchen...one day pies...the other days cookies and bread ...and for tomomorrow...??? ;o)
Thankyou so much for sharing... and I might even try to find the kitchenarea and make that pie tomorrow!!
Hmmm...hexagons...and a new idea???? Please show us!!!! :o)

Carole said...

Oh Yummy! Now I've got to try that recipe! I love melasse cookies and so does dd. Lovely bread. Have you mastered the "hard crust" thing? I'm still working on it! My crust is hard when it's out of the over but then soften up! The bread is still delicious! ;o)

Julia said...

Mmmmmmmmmm, my favorite kind of cookies. I will be making these in the very near future! Our leaves are just starting to turn here. Yay!!!!

Lea said...

I'm really enjoying reading your "Baking & Canning Days"!*S* Those cookies looks so yummy. I

quilterpolly said...

oh you make my tummy grumble...those cookies look so yummy:)
Polly

Judy said...

We finally hit the 70's this week and we are lucky enough to have them all week! I'm praying they stay and no more 80 and 90's.

I haven't run the oven for more than 15 minutes all summer. Of course no bread and no hot roasted veggies either. I can't wait to fill a pan with carrots, onions, and potatoes for a lovely dinner. Of course having bread in the house means I eat it and gain more weight...so that gets made sparingly, but it's still yummy!

Chocolate Cat said...

Hope the Princess was suitably impressed!! Looked so good.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Ok my mouth is watering? Can I come to your house for bread and cookies? YUMMY that all looked so good!

I am going to head over and look at that cookie recipe now!

ROZ said...

Lovely bread, I can smell it from here. Are you going to plant a winter garden? I used to grow leaf lettuce, Swiss chard, turnips, rutabaga, beets, carrots and radishes in the winter.

Julie said...

I've got to try baking some bread. Yours always looks so yummy. My poor pitiful tomato plant still has blossoms...it doesn't know when to quit. Nights are getting really chilly and the leaves are starting to turn up here. Time to make some soup or pot roast.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I can smell the bread all the way over here... yummy... love that first turning leaf, promise of piles to come! ;)

Carin said...

those cookies look devine!

Marilyn R said...

I always look forward to the Fall weather along with the changing of the leafs. Just when I think Fall is here we get a warm patch of weather. Someday!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I can smell that bread from here. And it's pretty too. The cookies look scrumptious.

BUMBLE BEANS said...

love your web site. homecooked food and quilts.doesn't get any better!