Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Inquiring bloggers, quilters and minds all want to know the same thing : Has any sewing happened in the new sewing nook? The answer to that, sadly, is: Not yet, but today - for sure. I wanted to make sure that everything was just right before I cozied myself in for a good long day of fun with my sewing machine friend. Monday I dedicated myself to laundry, fresh linens and general clean up. A clean(ish) home lends itself to guilt-free quilting, you know. Just as the chores were finishing up, it was time to make dinner. Okay by me, Tuesday is a perfectly good day for a sewing marathon.
Wait! No sewing on Tuesday. Why? Because I had a date. A very important date. A day with Julie from Through the Barn Door. Julie is vacationing in my area and we had made very important plans to shop. Shopping with a friend at quilt shops easily takes precedence over sewing. I met Julie early in the morning and we hit the road. Full of smiles and easy chatting, we had a great time as we got better acquainted all through the day. So much laughing and chatting that I must now admit that the camera never came out once all day.
Our first stop was Rosie's Calico Cupboard. Can you say, 'fabric overload'? Oh my. I know from experience that there are two ways to approach shopping here.
1. Complete and total focus. Know exactly what you want and look for only those things. To be distracted is to be completely overwhelmed.
2. Enter with a clear mind. Be drawn to where the fabric pulls you. Don't try to remember that piece that you need to finish up a project. Allow yourself to just wander and choose. It's kind of like 'free-range shopping.'
I took approach '2' yesterday and came away with some stash fillers and something new and fun. A Jo Morton print that I spied over on Karen's blog, Sewprimitive quilter a while back. I have no particular project in mind, but it will make a great border on something. I also found a nice blue brushed cotton. My stash has precious little blue, so I bought all that was on the bolt. That made me smile. The third piece is a fun little rick-racky print that I want to use as binding on my Halloween project.
My final purchase was a fall panel. It will be fun for practice on Caasi. I can test out something besides meander.
Next stop - The Country Loft, a primitive quilters dream! So much activity, the gals had just returned from their fall cruise, a class was in session and the shop was decked out in all its fall finest. Julie and I went all around loading our arms with quilty goodness. Then just to make sure we hadn't missed a thing, we wandered all around again - this time carrying baskets to hold everything we planned to purchase.
I picked up 3 new Cheri Payne patterns, some sale twills, a little fat quarter bundle and The Country Loft kit for their block in the last San Diego Quilt Shop Hop. A pretty reasonable purchase. I had other things in my basket, but I reevaluated and put some things back right before checkout.
With all that shopping under our belts, we next stopped off to refuel ourselves with lunch before hitting the road again. We headed out to The Apple Crate, not a quilt shop but they have a lot of primitive home decorating items and antiques thrown into the mix. We found the most unusual and BIG Hoosier there. If I had even a reasonable amount of room left in my home, I would have snapped that baby right up.
Then it was time to head home and try to be just ahead of the commuter traffic. I stopped to meet Julie's hubby and mom for a quick chat - what a nice family. I had a great day. Thanks BarnDoorJulie, I hope we can do it again someday.
Now as I head off to my sewing corner, I'll leave you with this picture -
A pumpkin tree! I picked it up at Trader Joe's the other day. Never seen one before, but I hope to find it every fall from now on. Just too cute.

21 comments:

quilterpolly said...

ok...next time a road trip in store I want to come...I am just down the street...please can i come...I promise I will be good...have fun practicing on your panel:)

Sweet P said...

You certainly had a wonderful little shop hop. The pumpkin tree is cute.

Wendy said...

How fun to do a little shopping with a blogging friend. You picked up some awesome goodies. The pumpkin tree is so adorable, are those real pumpkins? Or is that a dumb question?

Joyce said...

What a fun filled day! Better than sewing for sure.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Well sounds like you had some serious fun there girly!!! Love the Pumpkin Tree :O)... and your other goodies :O)

Judy said...

Those the weirdest thing I've seen...they have thorns like roses!

Cool patterns, I loved Spooky tree when I saw it, and I'm curious... My "Christmas Socks" has the same stamp on the front, but yours must be a different one?? 'cuz it says "My sock". Too cool! I love how she packages these patterns.

Karen said...

What a wonderful sounding day you had. I can see the name of the top pattern of Cheri's. What are the other two?

paula, the quilter said...

And a good time was had by all! I am jealous of that ricky-racky print. Too cute!

MARCIE said...

Look at that cute pumpkin tree! Adorable! And you had to tease us with a bit of a quilt in the background. Have we seen that before? Glad you are settled in your little sewing nook! Two great quilt shops you got to visit. They are legendary!

Marilyn R said...

You found some neat goodies on your shop hop, and I am sure it was even more fun because you had a friend along. That pumpkin tree is neat!

Catherine said...

Now that sounds like a great day!! Sewing Tuesday and be sewing Wednesday, right? :-)
Love that pumpkin tree!

Lorraine said...

well if you cant stitch go shopping at quilt stores I say.....sounds like a great day out....I was like that in my holidays.....housework one day.....stitching the next..no...other plans.....but I finally got a couple of really good days in in the sewing room.....and now i am back at work...!

Sherry said...

What a wonderful road trip. I love all the goodies you picked up & that Pumpkin Tree is too cute!

The Quilt Buddy said...

Looks like another sucessful shop hop to all of my favorite stores! Thanks for mentioning the Apple Crate! How come I have never heard of this store? Is it in the same area as Rosie's and C Loft?

Can't wait for the update!

Julia said...

What a fantastic, fun filled day for both of you! Now get in that corner! LOL

McIrish Annie said...

sounds like you had a great time with your blogger friend! I MUST get to Rosie's it is renowned even here in CT!

Love your little punkin tree! and all your fall goodies..

KCQuilter said...

Wowzie wow wow, what a fun day you had!!! I have been to both of those quilt shops of which you speak, o quilty one, and I LOVED them, especially Country Loft. And your panel is adorable. What a precious pumpkin tree too. Good decision to play with a blogging buddy instead of sewing!!!! And I whine everyday that there is not a Trader Joe's in KC. I've been to TJ's in both Phoenix and Tucson and I WANT ONE HERE!

Cara said...

Oh Libby! I love both of those stores! When I come to San Diego, that is where we frequent ,as you know. Wish i realized- we would have loved to meet you as well as Red! I agree about Rosie's- overwhelmed I have felt! LOL! But it is great! Love Cheri's patterns- bought several from the Country Loft while there last- maybe we'll have to compare our finished products! Glad you had fun and hope you get to sewing soon!
Cara

Kim said...

Unique for sure, I have never seen a pumpkin tree either. I have Chinese Lanterns that look like a bit like pumpkins. I noticed the wonderful quilt that is hanging behind the pumpkin tree. Can you tell me who the designer is or pattern/book title?

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh! What a pity you had to leave the Hoosier cupboard there. It would have had a nice home with you. Also Oh! I had my hands on that Jo border fabric last night, what a perfect place.

Chocolate Cat said...

Oh I love your pumpkin tree! How cute.