Friday, September 05, 2008

It was like a dream come true. Well sort of . . . for the longest time, I wanted to be able to make my own jam. It just seemed like such a nice, home-y thing to do. When I finally realized that the 'jam making fairy' was not ever going to descend up on me with private lessons, I ordered up a beginner's canning kit and went for it. Sweet success.
The visions began to swirl in my head. Rows and rows of neatly arranged jars on the shelf. Wholesome goodness grown in my own garden, canned on a hot summer day to be enjoyed all year long. It was a pretty vision. Then the squirrels came and destroyed my sweet little fantasy.
But I had jars, lots of empty jars just waiting to be filled. How sad to see those empty jars. They needed to fulfill their destiny. Off to Farmer's Market. Twenty pounds of vine ripened goodness for less than the cost of the plants I tended all summer for the All-You-Can-Eat Squirrel Buffet.
Now I have jars of tomatoes waiting to line the pantry shelf with enough tomatoes for Gazpacho for dinner and a tomato pie for the weekend.
Fantasy fulfilled. Well, maybe not fully. I'm planning next year's garden with all the necessary fortifications to keep those darned squirrels O-U-T!
In my last post, I asked about storing quilts without folding and got some great ideas. Miss Snips posted a tutorial on a folding method she uses. Yes, it's folding - but she says it stops those big creases we get. As an added bonus, her method allows all the quilts to be a uniform size. The Demanding Doll suggests rolling quilts onto long dowels, tying with muslin strips and standing them in the big crock. Nicole (no blog) had a similar suggestion she learned from Fons and Porter - roll onto cardboard tubes that wide fabric comes on, tie with strips and stand them up in a corner.
Thanks for all the great ideas. At least I don't have to worry about folding these little babies.

20 comments:

The Quilt Buddy said...

Thanks for passing on the info about folding quilts! I am going to try it.

Your mini-quilts are too cute! They might have to find their way to my backyard!

Quilt Hollow said...

I have the perfect spot for your mini quilts!

Stina said...

Oh those squirrels!!!! Good of you to make that fantastic tomato mix...even if they were bought...long nose to the squirrels!!!
And aren´t they some lovely cuties hanging on the washline!!! Love them ..Libby!!

Catherine said...

Some great ideas for storage of quilts. I love your mini quilts -- and that's yet another reason making minis is so great -- they're not a storage issue! :-)

Diane said...

Hmmm...annoying squirrels and empty canning jars...I know how you could fix two problems with one solution! Your tiny quilts are adorable.

The Calico Cat said...

I'm having tomato pie for dinner tonight!

(I had gazpacho a couple weeks ago!)

paula, the quilter said...

I'm late in posting a non-folding quilt suggestion. Like the others, it involves rolling but roll in onto some of those swimming 'noodle' things. I don't think this would be good long-term: who knows what those noodles are off-gassing. I read this suggestion somewhere. I, too, am processing produce. But I'm doing some luscious Palisades peaches. I held back some from the last batch and made a peach cobbler for dinner tonight. Yum.

Lea said...

I always wanted to make my own canning jam too! Yours are looks so yummy. Mmmmm, I might need to get my canning kit too. *S*

Kim said...

Better watch out, those squirrels might think those mini quilts were made just for them, after-all you did feed them all summer, lol, such a cute story. Great news that you did some canning. Feels all homey goodness-like doesn't it? Paula's peach cobbler sounds sooo good, too. Yum indeed!

Em said...

oooh - I'm so jealous of your canning!!!! I really need to visit the farmer's market this week and do the same thing! Sorry about your squirrels ruining everything this season!

Miss Snips said...

Oh don't I wish I had enough tomatoes to do canning -- my townhouse garden is about as big as a living room surrounded by huge cedar trees, no sun so the tomatoes I grew managed to produce about 7 tomatoes! Ah, but they were tasty...

And thanks for putting my blog link about how to fold quilts... It is still folding but it sure saves the quilts from permanent creases...

Karen said...

You and those squirrels! The solution might be to cover your whole garden with a framed cage of wire. Of course, you will need a big pully system to lift it off. Guess that isn't such a good idea. I had to laugh when I read about the all you can eat squirrel buffet.

Guðrún said...

So you lost the squirrel battle, that is sad.

Wendy said...

Looks like a great success on the canning, it's so much better than the stuff at Safeway. The little quilts are so darn cute. Thanks for sharing the folding method.

Marilyn R said...

Your little quilts are adorable! I made jam and pickles once upon a time. I did enjoy canning. There was just something about seeing the filled jars lining up on the counter just waiting to be enjoyed.

Carin said...

I wanted to make strawberry jam this year but a dang racoon ate them as soon as they were ripe. Sorrry about your squirrel issues.

Chocolate Cat said...

Your jars of tomato jam looks fantastic, always good for the soul seeing home canned goodies! My auntie has a huge pantry of the like which I am so lucky she shares with me....

~Bren~ said...

You certainly do not have to fold those quilts!! I liked your post on staining your quilts in the yard.

Hedgehog said...

Glad the canning fairy finally showed up. Love those little minis, too!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You make me laugh... all you can eat squirrel buffet... too funny! The tomatoes look delicious and are so pretty, too.