Friday, September 26, 2008

It works. The sewing corner really works. Not only am I spending time with fabrics and my sewing machine, but things are getting finished. Or at least nearly finished.
First up is the Halloween wall hanging that I started earlier in the summer. I got the binding stitched down last night. Now I only have to decide if I really want those button spiders. Right now I'm leaning towards not, but I'll think about it some more. You never know when just the right buttons for making spiders will come along.
Already it has a lot of memories built in to it. I picked up the pattern in Sedona on my trip to Quilt Camp in the Pines with The Princess. Once of my camp classmates gave me a strip of fabric at the end of the day and issued a challenge that I find a project to use it in. That challenge fabric appears in the broom (I have more that will appear somewhere, I'm just looking for the right spot.) I did the applique on our trip to New York and purchased the backing fabric on my adventure in the city with McIrish Annie. The binding is that 'ricky racky' fabric I found on the shop hop excursion with BarnDoorJulie.
Also in my little sewing corner, I have pieced up the background for Spooky Tree, a pattern that came home with me this week.
Sometimes I like to prep my background, quilt, bind and wash it for that crinkly look before I put the applique on top. With careful stitching, the applique stitches don't show through on the back. This method works best, in my opinion anyway, on smaller pieces that don't get a lot of wear and washing. I have all the fabrics set aside for the applique and will get them prepped today in order to start stitching them down tonight.
I did manage to get out of my little corner long enough to pick some more peppers. Some of the plants are looking a little faded, yet there are blossoms galore. I wonder how long they will last?
Now it's back to my corner. I picked a bunch of scraps that I want to cut up for a little quilting experiment. I'll share the results . . . soon.

30 comments:

Beth said...

Cute stuff Libby! I'm glad you're having fun in your sewing room, I have been very neglectful of mine recently. I have thought several times about doing the quilting first and then putting on the applique, and if you do it and it works, then I will have to try it! Thanks for the tip!

Judy said...

Very neat! They both turned out well!

KCQuilter said...

Oh, how cute your Halloween wallhanging is!!! Just love it. I am having to enjoy sewing through other people's blogs right now LOL.

Screen Door said...

Spooky quilting... love the bats...Morethan anything I love the memories placed into the quilts... Alot different than "Crank it out quilting" ... Yours is the real thing.

Lea said...

Cute, cute, cute! I love your halloween wallhanging. :-) I also love your scrappy backing too!

Guðrún said...

The Halloween quilt is a little scary! I am glad your corner works well.

Kathy Wagner said...

I'm so glad you are back in the "swing" of your quilting!
Very cool Halloween wallhanging!

Vicki W said...

The halloween wallhanging is so cute! glad you are enjoying your sewing corner.

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

I love that little halloween quilty! Very nice :o)

Wendy said...

Cute Halloween quilt, I love th witches brew with bats around. I'm glad you are enjoying your new sewing corner.

Quilt Hollow said...

Many times I've done the same as you and it works out wonderfully....the quilt police haven't shown up yet anyway. Quilt, wash and then applique....who sits and looks at the back anyway?

Rabbit Stitchings said...

ok that Halloween quilt so works girly!

Sounds like your sewing corner is working out just great!!!

Lorraine said...

Cute wallhanging.....perhaps I should think about decorating for Halloween...but not this year...have left my run a bit late! I am hoping to get into my sewing room today....at least make a path to the sewing machine...I have a project to finish for a friend's birthday tomorrow!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Ooooh that little quilt is very cute. I have started a Halloween mini....but not sewn on it in over a week..... battling my big quilt on the machine.
Doing it almost like a sampler...with all borders different... Can't wait to be quit of it!

paula, the quilter said...

How 'bout one button spider somewhere near a cauldron leg?

Marilyn R said...

I am so glad that you are enjoying your new quilting space! I had never thought about preparing the backing and then sewing the applique on. I like that idea! It would give it a whole new look!

Sherry said...

I just love the Halloween wallhanging & that spooky tree quilt "background". They are both very cute. Glad you are getting in some quilty time in your sewing space!

Darlene said...

Lots already flying out of your sewing corner. Love the wallhanging - too cute!

dee said...

That spooky tree background is really intriguing. Can't wait to see what becomes of that. I like your idea of applique on top-I may have to try that as it offers you the option of way more artsy possibilities. Thanks Libby. I love the Halloween piece-bring on the spiders!

gwen said...

The new sewing corner is already showing great results. The Holloween quilt is fun. I wonder where the spiders are supposed to go, beside the broom?! Anyway the pieced back is a great idea too.
Take care.

LBP said...

I love your Halloween wall hanging! That is so cute!

Blessings

Linda

Morah said...

Nice wallhangings!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Not only are wonderful things being finished in the corner, but it looks like a wonderful relationship is blossoming with Cassi, too.

Susie said...

Hi Libby!
Love your Halloween wall hanging with the cauldron and bats :)
It still so hot here that it feels more like summer than fall. We were over 100º yesterday.
Our garden is on its last legs with all this heat.
You must be a bit cooler down there..
have a great week!
xo

Catherine said...

Love the witches' cauldron and bats!! Scary stuff for Hallowe'en. :-)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Cute Halloween quilt....

Karen said...

I love that little Halloween quilt - it's adorable and the other background quilt is a wonderful blend of fabrics. Can't wait to see the finished piece. Glad your finding your corner to be everything you hoped and more.

Hugs - Karen

Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Oh what a good idea about the applique - probably inspiring to see your background all done up too...and a little more to hold on to when your sewing!

Karen said...

Like the Witches Brew!

Karen said...

My goodness, you are being very prolific. I like the cauldron piece. I purchased a Halloween pattern Saturday that I hope to get made up soon.