Monday, September 15, 2008

A pint - not a pound - of pickled peppers, that's what we have.
I had hoped that my last CSA box would have some carrots to add to the pot. Instead I went to the market this morning and picked up a few to try out a new recipe that will help use up some of the abundant pepper crop. The kitchen sure smelled zesty while they were cooking.

I've had quite a few requests for the tomato pie recipe. I really thought I had posted it previously and thought I could get away with a quick link. For the life of me, I can't find it. Rather than drive myself nuts looking any longer, here it is.
Tomato Basil Pie
1 - 9" pie crust *
1 1/2 c shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
5 Roma or 4 medium tomatoes - as fresh and ripe as you can get
1 c loosely packed fresh basil leaves
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp ground white pepper

-Preheat oven to 450 degrees (f.) Place pie crust in pie pan, flute edges and prick crust bottom 20 times. Bake for 9 - 11 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees (f.)
-Sprinkle warm pie crust with 1/2 c shredded Mozzarella cheese.
-Cut tomatoes into wedges, drain on paper towels. Arrange wedges on top of melted cheese in the baked pie shell.
-In a food processor, combine basil and garlic; process until coarsely chopped. Sprinkle over tomatoes.
-In a medium mixing bowl, combine remaining Mozzarella cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese and pepper. Spoon cheese mixture over tomatoes; spread evenly to cover.
-Bake at 375 degrees (f) for 35-40 minutes, or until top is golden and bubbly.
-Serve warm. Garnish with basil leaves if desired. Serves 4-6.
-Enjoy!

*Use your favorite pie crust. In the past I have used the kind that are in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. I have decided it is high time I overcome my fear of pastry making and found a recipe to take on a test drive. You can find it here, if you want to give it a try. I used olive oil, which I think was a nice flavor compliment to the pie filling and just cold water rather than milk.

Nothing to share on the quilting front. We were gone over the weekend for the anniversary party, which was a hit. Now I'm catching up on laundry and other chores. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have some time for playing with fabric.

23 comments:

Patti said...

Loods and sounds absolutely yummy! I wonder how many weight watchers points in a slice? I could use low fat cheese, but I don't think there is any low fat substitute for pie crust!

Julia said...

Oh my goodness, that looks and sounds sooooo yummy! I have some fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden, this would be the perfect thing to do with them!
Thanks for sharing!!!!

Quilt Hollow said...

Thanks for sharing....I'll just have to drool over the picture or eat a whole pie on my own. Darned finicky family!!

Catherine said...

Oh, wow -- that sounds absolutely delicious! It's getting cool here too at night -- perfect for something like that!

Julie said...

The pie recipe sounds scrumptious. I've printed it off. I saved out some romas from my canning that will be just perfect.

I have a great pickled pepper recipe I'll post on my blog this week. This canning thing gets addictive, eh?

Wendy said...

Oh my that pie looks delicious. Have you ever heard of Heirloom tomatoes? I tried them a couple of days ago and wow are they ever tasty.

Katie said...

I've got to try that pie. I have the tomatoes and basal. I have the best no fail pie crust recipe. I think I posted it some time ago. If you want it let me know.

The Calico Cat said...

day late & a dollar short, but I could have provided the link... (I think.)

Your new canning recipe reminds me of Amish Chow Chow.

The Calico Cat said...

Now that I have read the recipe - it only looks like chow chow...

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Yummy Yummy Yummy

Now I am hungry LOL...

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Your pie recipe now is on my list of "must tries" and I will make my own crust, too. Thanks, Libby! Those pickled peppers are as pretty in the jar as I know they are delicious.

quilterpolly said...

the pickled peppers look so pretty I would just leave them sitting on my counter top for decorations.
polly:)

julieQ said...

Yum, looks good enough to eat! LOL! I really like how pretty your peppers are...

Stephanie D. said...

Mmmmm--looks good. Another item for my to-do list.

Susie said...

Looks just delish Libby :) Thanks for sharing your recipe. I have never mastered pie crust, but it's one of the things on my "need to learn" list.
xo

Screen Door said...

Looks delicious.... I can try this now that the picky eaters are away.....

gwen said...

This sounds too delicious, a shame I can´t eat any milk products anymore. Anyway I will save the idea with the mayonnaise, no milk in there!
The disapearing nine patch is wonderful. I especially like that shade of red for the border, perfect! Take care.

paula, the quilter said...

Thanks for the recipe. A new basil recipe is always appreciated.

Marilyn R said...

I too have had a problem with pie crust in the past, I just may have to try this one!

Kathy Wagner said...

Thank you for the recipe. I plan to try it later in the week. I will try to post a photo of my latest attempt at tomato pie, which my family wouldn't even eat :)

Stina said...

Oh thankyou thankyou...that sounds like a very nice pie!! Will try it when my Aunt comes this weekend... :o)

Carole said...

Yummy! Geez.... haven't I said this somewhere else! ;o) Sent your blog link to dh. Perhaps that's what we'll have for dinner. We certainly have an abondance of tomatoes this year. Nothing really from the main garden. I think I'll have to get my soil tested for crawling critters! Hugs!

sewprimitive karen said...

Wonderful post as always. That pie recipe looks gooooooood.