Monday, September 22, 2008

This weekend was 'Art Splash' in our town - a fund raising endeavor for local schools.

This year there was cheese sculpture.

Rock balancing.

Sand sculpture.
And, of course, chalk art - these are only a few of the pieces that were worked on over the course of two days.
An individual or family could purchase a square and have a try at their own artwork.
This is the only work going on that wasn't temporary. A demonstration in violin making. He said a complete amateur could finish a violin in two to three months. No mention of whether it would make a pretty sound.
We missed out on the 'Taste Of' portion of the weekend. Local eateries set up booths with a tasting menu. Due to a misunderstanding on our part, that was only on the agenda for Saturday. We have been to 'Taste Of' in the past when it was held as a separate event. It's a great way to find new places to eat out in the area without the commitment of a whole meal. If you see one in your area, try it out. It's a lot of fun . . . and so tasty, too.
Here is the first look at my new sewing corner. Hubby and I found a reasonably priced computer desk that would fit nicely in the available space. There's even a drawer to hide away some of the clutter. I can hardly wait to get stitchin'.
Thanks for all the fun comments about our Zip Code celebration dinner. I love to find a reason for making a special dinner. There have been several requests for the sweet bread recipe. It can be found on the website, The Fresh Loaf, along with lots of other fun and yummy bread recipes. I just substituted the blueberries for the apple raisin concoction. Enjoy! I'm off to sew.

21 comments:

Carole said...

What a lovely weekend! Nothing goes on in our small town. It is sort of uneventful! Looks like a nice little corner to do your work! Thanks again for posting your recipe. The both I tried were delicious! Keep well!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend!

Your desk is perfect for your cubby area, its so great to make those cubbies into useable space especially if its for sewing!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I thought the cheese heads were in Wisconsin... apparently not all of them! The Art Splash sounds intriguing, so much to see... but, hey~ no quilt makers?

Your little corner is shaping up quite nicely!

Joyce said...

Sounds like a fun weekend. The Taste of would be really fun.

Julia said...

I love your cozy little sewing corner. I really like the desk that you found. I am looking for something to put in the corner of SuzyQ's (HQ16) room. I want something with drawers though.
Can't wait to see what lovely things you create in your little corner! Now if you get sent to the corner, it will be a good thing. :~)

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

That looked like such a nice weekend. Love your new sewing area!

ROZ said...

What fun. Good luck with your new sewing area

Guðrún said...

Congratulations on your new sewing corner.

Carin said...

that looks like so much fun. I love the head cheese LOL!

Stephanie D. said...

What a fun-sounding weekend!

Glad you were able to create a corner for yourself. I hate it when I don't get to sew for a while. Makes me cranky.

Cheryl said...

Your weekend looked liked so much fun. Great creative space your cubby is!!!!

Karen said...

Now that looks like a fun way to spend the day - and your sewing area is looking great. Won't it be nice to have your own special spot. I'm off to check out that bread recipe.

Hugs - Karen

Judy said...

I was telling hubby about your new space and he got inspired and said I should move the computer to our bedroom if I wanted to give myself more space in the sewing room...now I'm thinking that's a mighty nice table you got there...humm. ALthough we already have a very nice one. Just saying...my mind is working.

Susie said...

Looks like a fun celebration. I haven't seen the cheese sculpture before but the chalk drawings are big around here.
How nice you now have a little sewing nook.
Happy fall,
xo

Chocolate Cat said...

I love your new little sewing corner, can't wait to see what it produces.

Sweet P said...

Art Splash looks like fun! You sewing corner looks wonderful. Enjoy using it.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

The festival seemed like loads of fun. I am hoping to sew today too.

julieQ said...

Sounds like a great time to me! I am glad you got to go. I really like your quilting corner!

Perry said...

That looks like it was a fun way to spend the day. I love the rock balancing. Your sewing nook looks like it will be perfect for what you wanted. I bet you turn out lots now since you won't have to take your machine up and down. That is no fun.

tracey said...

if it wasn't for the "found" 5 minutes here, 7 minutes there, i wouldn't be sewing a blasted thing. good for you for turning around the situation! now, go sew! :o)

tracey

Lea said...

We wanted to go there! but We gotta to much to do, unpacking! *LOL*
I can't show those wonderful art pictures for my DS. He'll be yackety-yacking.*LOL*