Tuesday, September 30, 2008

We woke yesterday to some odd sounds. I thought that The Princess was having a hard time choosing what to wear and was opening and closing her closet repeatedly. She thought that I was working in the kitchen searching for a missing utensil - opening and closing drawers again and again. Finally, Harper made it clear to us all by becoming The Velcro Dog that there was thunder in the distance. In not too much time, the sky clouded up and we had rain. Not a lot, but enough to clear the dust and leave spots all over the windows that Hubby cleaned so beautifully over the weekend.
I decided to take quick action to make the most of the weather. A real fall-like day is hard to come by around here. I baked a couple of loaves of bread.And roasted a butternut squash to make some soup for our dinner.
I cleaned and saved the seeds from the squash to toast today. They will be good sprinkled on a salad or just eaten out of hand.
Then I headed off to my little sewing cubby. I've been playing with those little squares again. This one with 16 patches is the largest of the bunch at 6" x 8". I did the hand quilting while watching tv last night. There are others to share, but I'll wait until they are really done instead of in progress.
I also put the last stitches (well almost) in Spooky Tree. The bat needs some eyes and I didn't have any suitable buttons. Instead I'll make some French knots. By the time that decision was made, I didn't feel like going out to the garage cabinets and searching around. Then a nice coffee bath and this will be ready to hang.
Hubby is on vacation for the next two weeks. Like so many others, we are staying close to home this year. Plenty of projects around the house to keep us busy, books to ready, movies to watch, and maybe a day trip or two thrown in for good measure. I think it will be nice. The sunscreen will always be handy and there won't be any jet lag.

25 comments:

Stephanie D. said...

Wow! That little cubby is sure getting some work! Cute Halloween quilt--love the wonky eyes!

Isn't a vacation this time of year just wonderful? Have fun!

Katy said...

That bread looks sooooo yummy! And wow...that quilt is FANTASTIC!!! Great job! I wish I could do that...I don't even know what kind of stitches to make when you hand quilt. It is great though!

MARCIE said...

Great looking bread! I used to do that-ha! Love your Halloween Tree-how brave to give it a coffee bath.

quilterpolly said...

love the halloween wall hanging. What pattern is that from?

quilterpolly said...

love the halloween wall hanging. What pattern is that from?

Stina said...

I love your little patches Libby!!! And your Spookty tree...absolutely scary... ;o)
And couldn´t you come and bake some bread for me... lol...I just love the smell of fresh baked bread...Mmmmmm

Wendy said...

I can smell the bread from here....yum. The new Halloween quilt is so adorable. I took an all day class yesterday with Virgina Cole, it was fun to see her samples in person and learn about her method of using these miniatures in collages. Have a good "at home" vacation.

Susie said...

Tell that rain to head up our way next! We need it so badly..
Your bread and squash soup sound perfect for a fall day..
xo

sewprimitive karen said...

Your cooking is always such an inspiration. I want to be just like you :-) ! We'll all definitely get a lot done, those of us who are sticking close to home these days. And oh LOVELY RAIN, wish we would get some.

Judy said...

It clouded up here and hour ago and started pouring...just in time to take the 80 degree day and make it 73 tomorrow!

I have the background strips cut and ready for the Spooky Tree..now to get sewing! Yours looks lovely!

McIrish Annie said...

super duuper love spooky tree! Hope you have a nice restful vacation.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Your Halloween quilt is so so cute!!!

Girly I am moving in with you just for the food! I know the company and quilting buddy would be great as well but holy cow the food would be sooooo good... course I need to bring Honey man too LOL...

How wonderful you get two whole weeks with your DH home!!!! You guys will enjoy that I am sure!!!

Quilt Hollow said...

That's it! I'm planning a trip to yours for fresh baked bread, yummy squash, gorgeous quilts....can this be my vacation?! LOL Enjoyed the post...it feels "comfortable." Did that make sense?

Sweet P said...

I'm coming over for dinner! Butternut squash is my favorite food and I'll eat it any way it is fixed. Your little quilt is adorable.

Lorraine said...

what a lovely picture you paint of the weather and your activities.....i can almost smell the bread....! love the spooky tree...very cute...enjoy your time with hubby while he is on leave...we just had two weeks at home with a couple of day trips...like you say ... no jet lag!

Catherine said...

The Hallowe'en tree is wonderful! And the bread -- oh, how wonderful your house must smell when that's baking!
Sometimes home holidays are the best. One doesn't come home from a holiday feeling like you need a holiday to get over the holiday. LOL

Em said...

Oh!!! I just roasted some butternut squash tonight - and I think it was a little underdone... it wasn't smooth... kinda fibery so I put it back in for a while. It seemed better after another 15 minutes... what's your method? I think I may make some bread tomorrow... there's a cold front coming through! What recipe did you use?

tami said...

Oh that bread looks so yummy. I love the Spooky Tree.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I love your little quilt Libby. That is soo cute. The bread looks yummy and how was the soup??

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Love the spooky tree by Cheri! That is such a cute little quilty. And your squares are great :o)

dee said...

Love the spooky tree Libby. We just ended our staycation and it was great. Just the two of us and some great local trips and lunches. Enjoy your time-that bread wouldn't last a day in my house....bring on the butter

Candela said...

Ohhh! How I miss Fall time in the US...!

Knot Garden said...

All the food you make always looks really yummy!
The tiny patchwork is amazing - a little work of art.

Guðrún said...

The wallhanging is gorgeous.

Quilts And Pieces said...

First read through I read that hubby was away for 2 weeks, not that he was on vacation. Darn - I was hopping on a plane to come visit you while he was away!