Monday, September 08, 2008

Why does it seem to be part of human nature to procrastinate? It's easy to explain when the task is something unpleasant or painful. Other times there is just no making excuses for it.
Hubby's parents will soon be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. He is the oldest of their four children, each with a busy family life and none living in close proximity to another. It was decided that a family portrait would make a very nice gift but daily commitments and distance would make it all but impossible to gather siblings, their spouses, and children for a sitting. Instead each was to have a picture taken of their family and those would all be framed alike for presentation.
You may have guessed already, but we waited until the last possible moment to make arrangements for a portrait. We gussied ourselves up, practiced our smiles and headed out to preserve our images for all time. They turned out horrible! The Princess is very easy in front of the camera, but neither myself nor Hubby are. What to do?
Well, first we procrastinated for another week. Then we hung a quilt on the wall, gussied up once again, put our digital camera on the tripod and set the self-timer. Is there some reason that three reasonably intelligent adults cannot manage to look into the lens, keep their eyes open and smile all at the same time? Still the result was a couple of hours of fun. Yes, that's right . . . a couple of hours. We took over 100 photos of ourselves and only a precious handful were worthy of saving. Here we are near the end when the silliness was in full force. This is not the presentation photo, but we will get a copy, suitable for framing, for our own home. It really depicts best the kind of folks we are.
In other procrastination news, I was given the Primitive Excellence Award by Marie from a little bit of Country on the Shore.
Also Mary from Quilt Hollow gave me the I Love Your Blog award.

Thank you Marie and Mary - you flatter me so. Again I am forced to admit that I am terrible when it comes to passing along these awards. There are so many blogs that I read regularly that fall into both of these categories, I just don't have it in me to single out just a few. I love so many blogs - where I comment and lurk, too. I think that most of us are working in one way or another to keep the past alive. So to each of the faithful readers here - please accept these awards from me.

25 comments:

Finn said...

Hi Libby, I think you've hit a nerve with many of us...picture taken procrastination!
Number me among those who hate to have their picture taken...period!
I do love the one you shared, definitely a girl after my own heart.
You all look quite beautiful to me...thanks for making my day better!
Gorgeous tomatoes also!! Hugs, Finn

McIrish Annie said...

Now I see the family resemblance!! LOL. great pic! That would be the one I would send to the parents, it really captures your family personality!

Mar said...

Oh Libby, I love that picture, too cute, you and yours have a great sense of humour!!

Wendy said...

What a funny story you made me laugh thinking about trying to take one picture and it taking a couple of hours. Cute family picture, will that be going to the relatives...LOL

Catherine said...

I love that picture. It made me laugh out loud -- so much fun!! It's just one of those pictures that will make anyone smile!

Quirky said...

That is a great piccie....shows how photogenic you and your hubby really are!

The Quilt Buddy said...

Procrastination is my middle name! Nothing like a little time crunch to bring out the best in you! Like I said, that was a very creative photo!

Stina said...

Ahhh....look at you...the cuteest I have ever seen...I just love it... thanks for sharing....this is exactly what I would like to do when someone want a familypicture of us... ;o)

Chookyblue...... said...

love the family pic.......

The Calico Cat said...

Another Libby photo - you should have warned us first! Very funny - glad you guys had hours of fun thgether. Aren't digital camera's great!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

I just love that photo, isn't it lovely to see your own eyes and smile on another person??So obviously not from Dad,- i have the opposite, mine are much more Dad!!
Sorry about those squrrels, but the canning looked fun...as did the quilter!! I am hoping to get to mine on Thursday, Tracey

Caron said...

What an awesome photo!!! I love it, and I think it's perfect!!!

QuiltingFitzy said...

The Spooners, I remember them well.

My family is more of the Rosanne Barr variety, at least you got a picture, lol!!!

(Your daughter is beeeeutiful!)

Diane said...

HYSTERICAL!

Guðrún said...

The picture is great :)

Judy said...

I hate photography studio pictures. Our best was taken at our nieces wedding with our camera.

Tell hubby I see his hand holding up that spoon!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Loved the spoon photo.... you all must really have had a ball....or maybe a few too many tips from the glass!

Em said...

Libby - I love that photo!!! I can't believe you couldn't get a good one for an hour! You will all treasure that photo forever!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Libby! I just love that family pic! That is for sure a keeper!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Libby that picture is adorable - LOVE IT. That could be your Christmas card pic for this year. Sure would make people smile when they saw your darling family. Procrastination - I think it's my middle name :)

Karen

Susie said...

Your picture made me smile, but I hear you about the procrastination. Human nature, I'm sure! Congratulations on your awards. Well deserved :)
Thanks for your kind thoughts on our daughter's robbery.
xo

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I like that photo! You should give them that one. The fun, unposed photos are the best I think.

paula, the quilter said...

I am not good in front of a camera. I'd send that one to the parents. This makes me think that it is time to change my blog photo.

Perry said...

That is the cutest picture!!! I just love it. You will have lots of chuckles from this one over the years I am sure. Thanks for sharing it!!

Carole said...

Oh Libby, love that portrait! It is the one you will be sending to the inlaws right??!?!??!?! lol I love it! Hugs!