Saturday, October 04, 2008

Already the weekend. How does time get away so quickly? The stay-at-home vacation has gotten of to a sluggish start. Hubby worked a good portion of the first three days. It's a good thing they don't really count. After a few mundane errands, some grocery shopping and scheduled car maintenance, I think we are ready to begin in earnest.
Today started out as one of those days when I woke early and just couldn't get back to sleep. Rather than toss and turn, I decided to use the time for something productive. I headed to the kitchen to try out a new bread recipe - Squaw Bread, one of my favorites for toasting or sandwiches. Funny what you learn when you start doing things from scratch. This bread is made with raisins! That's right. They are pureed along with some of the other ingredients. They add a little color and some additional sweetness. If you look closely at the picture, you will be able to see some of the little flecks. I can hardly wait to look at a loaf in the store the next time I'm out shopping.
This afternoon Hubby watched a couple of movies that I had no interest in seeing. That allowed me to go off to the quilting cubby to finish up a top I have been working on. This is a quilt from a class at my local quilt shop. Originally offered as a mystery at a quilt retreat this summer, our teacher is now sharing it with the students at the shop.
I enjoy making two color quilts. I'm working my way through the colors with this my first using black. It appears as a solid in the photo, but it's really a print (from the Vintage Reserve collection) with some bits of red and purple. The back is pieced and it's ready to load on to Caasi.
I'm anxious to begin my next project, one that has been on the back burner for some time now. The Quilter sent me a little treat in the mail and an accompanying card. I fell in love with the quilt in the photo and it is the inspiration for my next project. Here are the fabrics that have been patiently waiting since January to become a quilt. Won't it be a wonderful hand quilting project for the winter days?
Caron Mosey tagged me to list 6 random things about myself. I've been thinking about them Caron, I really have. I promise to come up with a list in the next few days.

12 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Mmmm that bread looks wonderful! You have become a master bread maker! And I love that mystery quilt! Very cool! Wait till Laura sees it!

Wendy said...

Homemade bread is so much better than anything in the store. And what a wonderful mystery quilt, you must be really pleased.

Lorraine said...

Great looking bread and I love the quilt...the simplicity of two colours works well!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Libby...what a wonderful mystery quilt.....and the bread...yum

Kathie said...

bread making is something I want to start learning.
suggestions for an easy successful receipe?
I lOVE this mystery quilt
how big is the quilt?
Oh my I love the quilt you picked out to make next, its bookmarked in my book.
The solid color fabrics that you have been waiting since Jan was it? are they solid color plaids?
if so where did you get them?
I am in a BIG plaid phase now, I suspect partially inspired by you!!!
Kathie

sewprimitive karen said...

oh my don't those fabrics look wonderful. Can't wait to see more...

Joyce said...

The bread looks wonderful. I have been making all our bread for a long time and we can't seem to go back to bought. Love the quilt. It almost looks like cross stitch on a large scale.

Judy said...

I saw that block on the table when you showed the new nook and just knew it would work up in some interesting combination. Very nice! Just love that group of fabrics!

Sorry you ruined the bread for me with one word....raisins...YUCK! But you eat up!

Carole said...

I like my raisins purreed myself when it comes to breads. That's how I make my raisin bread too! Love the quilt! Will you be hand quilting it? Hugs!

paula, the quilter said...

This shouldn't surprise you a bit, but I've been making my bread for a long time because then I can control the ingredients: no soy. I can't wait to see the quilt that my little card inspired.

Marilyn R said...

Your bread looks wonderful. I haven't heard of Squaw Bread before. Could it be a regional bread? I am in love, in love, in love with that mystery quilt! Just wondering what size is it?

julieQ said...

Your bread looks scrumptious! I have made some loaves that now serve as door stops...LOL! I absolute love your two color quilt! So pretty...I think in indigo blue! Thank you for sharing this.