Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Good morning, October! Even if it's starting out to be a hot one, surely it will cool some by month's end. Our forecast high temperature is 84 f; however, it is currently 87 f, the mercury continues to rise and it is only 10 a.m.
That does make for some good tea dyeing weather. Here's one more look at Spooky Tree - before and after.It was too hot to go digging around in the garage for the cheapo instant coffee so this is fairly light. I used the leftover coffee from the morning, added in some tea and a few drops of vanilla. It added just enough color to take 'the new' off.
I keep forgetting to turn it over and show the back. Remember when I made this? I gave up on making it a medallion adding applique, etc. and decided to use as a backing.
Once Halloween is over, I can flip it over and still have a nice fall table topper through Thanksgiving. In past years I have not been drawn to Halloween quilts because of their limited display time. This year I gave up on that, went a little crazy for Halloween quilts. Still I couldn't let go of that nagging thought. This made a good compromise solution.
A couple of weeks ago, I was wandering the aisles of the local Michaels looking for inspiration. I picked up this cylinder of jingle bells. I want to add them to Christmas package toppers for just that extra touch of festiveness.
Of course, I want to rust them up. Make them look old and grungy to coordinate with my plain brown paper wrapping and raffia. I came home and did a Google search for 'rusting' directions and found the most wonderful website, Two Old Crows Folk Art Tips and Techniques. I found just what I wanted to know and so much more. The site is now bookmarked so I can refer to it again and again.
Here's a look at my first project from one of their tutorials, Old Fashioned Soap Balls.
They were fun and easy to make, not much mess at all, look cute in a jar and they'll make great gifts come holiday time. Grab a cuppa something tasty (or an iced tea, if your in my neck of the woods) and see all the fun things they have to offer.

29 comments:

Paula said...

I think your quilt turned out great. I will have to admit....I LOVE the back as much as the front! Crazy, I know!! So wrinkly!!

Angie said...

Your little quilt is ADORABLE, Libby! And I love the back---I often do an alternate season on the back (yeah, right, like I finish ANYTHING any more that needs a backing LOL). Thanks bunches for the link---and for being such a wonderful friend. :) Sending lots of Fall days your way! :)

Carol said...

I Love your Spooky Tree...oh that tea/coffee dyeing does the trick...it's just wonderful. How fun are those soap balls. We're waiting for the cool too.

Catherine said...

Love how the little quilt turned out!
You're waiting for some cool weather and we've already got the heat on! Want to change places? :-)

Lorraine said...

what a great backing idea...two for one! great link and will have a better look when I get home from work....

Julie said...

Your Halloween/Fall switcheroo is a great idea! And my gosh, you found a really cool website. Thanks for sharing. Hot up here today, too. They said it was going to rain...what a bunch of bozos. Not a drop in sight.

Carin said...

Your tree is so adorable!!

Quilt Hollow said...

Sweet little number! I use cookie cutters to decorate my kitchen Christmas tree....I've always just stuck them outside in the winter weather to make them look old and rusty....your way sounds much faster but I have to wonder...where do you dispose of the leftover solution?

ROZ said...

Well, I think that you have outdone yourself this time. I hope I learn from you and start to make more things to be reversible.

Stina said...

clever ...clever again Libby...I love the little quilt ...or should I say both of them...great way to use the other one for backing...:o)
And thanks for sharing the website...will definetly check that one out!

The Quilt Buddy said...

Well you have been busy! Today it was close to 90 and I thought that I was going to melt just carrying my "little person" out to the car! Mind you, this is coming from the girl who was born in the SOUTH!

I love how you take the "newness" out of your quilts. The back of the quilt looks nice also. You will get lots of use out of that one!

Have fun with your rusty bells!

KCQuilter said...

Love your little Halloween quilt--all aged up! So darling. And thanks for the link to the soap balls. I just love stuff like that and have downloaded the directions!!!

Karen said...

Cute quilt and very smart about doing something fun on the back and then you can just flip it after Halloween - love the back as well. YIKES we've been having wonderful fall weather - lows in the 30's at night and low 60's during the day - perfect for this sister. Stay cool - I'm off to check out that site.

hugs - Karen

MARCIE said...

That is one heckova quilt back! I bet you spent more time making that than the front! The Halloween tree looks like it baked to perfection.

quilterpolly said...

you are so good at finding these cute and fun things to make. I can't wait to get done with my algebra class. Only 2 weeks left then I will be a busy little beaver...with all these patterns and swaps to finish up with and fun things to make for christmas. I am already in the spirit...:)

paula, the quilter said...

That little quilt turned out so darn cute! I went to that site you mentioned and did you know you can rust fabric? Use the same recipe, saturate your fabric and wrap your metal object with the fabric. This is the general principle any way. Experiment!

lil said...

what a neat idea using a back with a pattern so you have a double use

but I'm not astonished, you always amaze me

Guðrún said...

I am going to check the link with the tips.

Marilyn R said...

Love your Halloween quilt! Thanks for the links. The soap balls look so neat!

Juliann in WA said...

What a fun little quilt. I just love those colors!

Yvonne said...

I love it....both sides. :) Cool soap balls.....how did the bells come out?

Nines said...

Love the folk art!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Love the little halloween quilt...am stealing your idea...by putting Harvest fabrics on back of mine...so I can use it longer. Clever girl...you!

BUMBLE BEANS said...

love how that halloween quilt took to the stain! it looks great. clever design... love that web site too! thanks for the tip!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Youu have just too much fun! I love your "olding" of the quilts! Next on my list to quilt is the one I did off your mystery quilt I made last year. I might have to send it to you to "old" up!

WoolenSails said...

Libby,
I love how the quilt came out. A bit of staining and top stitching and it is truly prim.

Debbie

Carole said...

Thanks for the link! I'm was in need of a rusting technique! Have your tried parisien essence for aging? My friend from Oz sent me few bottles. I haven't tried it but the Aussie mags all swear by it! Thanks again for sharing!

Rosemary said...

Libby, i'm in LOVE with the quilt!

mamaspark said...

I just love your spooky tree! Did you design it yourself? I adore Halloween quilts!!