Sunday, October 12, 2008

Hubby and I were looking forward to a long planned day trip during the staycation. Sometime ago we learned of the Woolworth's Museum only a couple hour's drive from us. I have long been enamored with Woolworth's stores and the man that created them. Not only did I find great joys in visiting the store in our town when I was growing up, I checked out and read the biography Nickels and Dimes: The Story of F.W.Woolworth from my school's library more than once. I quickly made a mental note to visit someday. It wasn't until we were planning our NYC trip that I remembered the museum when reading up on the Woolworth Building in Manhattan.
On the day of our planned trip, we got on the road and made our way north. Without much traffic to slow us down, we arrived ready for lunch at what was once the lunch counter in the Woolworth store. I was eagerly anticipating a long remembered grilled cheese on white bread with french fries and pickle chips on the side.
It seems that the lunch counter has changed hands but the website has not been updated. It currently features Cajun foods. We did enjoy a delicious lunch - please don't get me wrong, but it was a long way from what I had been dreaming about. All too soon, it was clear that the museum was not so much a museum as a small collection of memorabilia displayed in the hallway of the building. The exterior has been restored lovingly and beautifully, but the interior is being used for an assortment of businesses with a little space set aside for some collected store items and photographic history. Hubby did purchase these 2 postcards from one of the vintage vending machines for just a dime.
This is how the building looks today.
And a street view from years ago.
If the museum was a slight disappointment, we didn't mind. The drive was fun. Lots of chatting and laughing all along the way. We got back home with plenty of time for dinner then off to see one of our very favorite singer/songwriters perform locally. She is touring with a new album right now. If the show is coming to a place near you, try to get tickets. It was a great night out.
With only a couple of days left of staycation, we took time to go to a park not far from the house. I have been wanting to take some pictures there to share. The sign on this tree makes me laugh every time I see it. I guess the city doesn't expect us coastal dwellers to know much about falling pine cones.
It is a very big tree.Just to be sure we understand the danger, they have added a new sign.Now you can see there is danger all around.
If you continue to be unaware, danger has been corralled.
But if you turn around, you will see that there continues to be danger into the future.Just a few precious hours left until it's back to work for Hubby and a regular routine around the house. Then we can start planning and looking forward to the next staycation.

27 comments:

gwen said...

We have Woolworth over here too but they don´t seem to be doing too well in the last time.
I loved the pine tree and the signs, so funny. The way you described it was for a great part of the fun too!
I am looking forward seeing some more of your pinweels.
For us tomorrow is back to work and routine too. Take care.

Catherine said...

There was a Woolworth's store that I passed every day on the walk home from school. I remember those lunch counters so well!!
At one of the high-rise office towers here they put out a sign in winter that says "Watch for Falling Ice". It always makes me laugh -- as I wonder if people are going to stand there at the exit watching for falling ice rather than try to leave the area.

Stina said...

Would love to see those cones!!!! :o)
Thanks for the tour!

sewprimitive karen said...

omg that cone thing can't be real! Surely you have created little photos in your PhotoShop lol of those signs and that fence. Somebody must have sustained an absolutely horrifying injury to have caused them even to put up that fence!!! Especially love the impending danger saplings. You'd better let the town fathers know about those menaces quick!

Stephanie D. said...

Loved the precautionary measures there! lol Makes me wonder if the warning signs and fence were a result of a lawsuit.

My staycation is over, too--this is my third night back at work. But it has been a pretty decent weekend. Either that, or I'm more mellow after all that time away.

But I plan to reprise some of that hammock time tomorrow afternoon!

Judy said...

My grandmother had the Woolworths right down the street from her house but I don't ever remember the lunch counter, I think ti was gone before I ever started going there with her.

We are just starting our "staycation/vacation" this week!

Shasta said...

That's too bad that the Woolworth didn't have the food you expected. Our Woolworth has been gone for a decade or two.

I bet those signs were due to some kind of lawsuit.

Nines said...

giggle. enjoyed your post. Sorry the Woolworth run wasn't what it used to be- things rarely are, huh? But sounds like you made the most of it.
The pine cone warnings are hysterical. Sounds like the city takes it very seriously- probably someone was sue happy. Have a great week.

Joyce said...

Thank goodness you weren't killed by those vicious falling cones!

Karen said...

Boy, that brings back memories. As a kid, going to Woolworth's was very exciting. I remember the lunch counter. Good food.

Julie said...

As a kid, it was a huge treat to go to Woolworth's for a Tulip Sundae. If Mom had extra $ we'd get to have a BLT as well. That was the 1950's version of fast food I suppose.

Sorry your staycation is about over. Thanks for sharing all the fun things you did.

Diane said...

You sure know how to have fun, Libby!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Sounds lovely, I oftened wondered if the Woolworths stores I shopped at in South AFrica were related. I even brought back my Woolie's Green shopping bags. Use them all the time.

Susie said...

On the day Bill asked me to marry him (in high school) we had lunch at the Woolworth's counter..
I remember those grilled cheese sandwiches (yum!)
Glad you had such fun on your staycation and make sure to avoid those dangerous falling cones (too funny!)
xo

Caron said...

Love your photo essay on the pine cone (potential) disaster. Way too funny!!!

Wendy said...

That's too funny warning people about falling cones, what's next watch out for falling apples. I guess they have to protect themselves from getting sued for being hit by a cone.

Lea said...

Oh, Those signs are hilarious!!!!!*LOL*

Julia said...

Oh, how I loved visiting the Woolworth's store when I was a young girl. Thanks for bringing that wonderful childhood memory back to mind. :~)

Katie said...

Sigh... I miss all the 5&10 stores.

The pine tree signs are funny. They need signs like that under the pecan trees here. Watch out for falling pecans...and limbs! :-)

suz said...

Thanks for sharing the pine cone warnings - good grief - I live in New England and could just imagine what the woods would look like if we corraled all our trees - LOL! StephanieD probably has the right thought, there must have been a lawsuit or a threat of it.
What nice memories you brought back for us about Woolworth's - I can still see the long counters of items - it was a great place to shop. SuzK

Knot Garden said...

Woolworths used to be my favourite shop when I was little. At the Woolworths in our town I can remember a display of hanging reels of ribbon near the door where they cut you the length you asked for. That Woolworths has sadly closed now.
So funny about the falling cone signs.

em's scrapbag said...

Those signs are way toooo funny!! I'm going to have to check out the nickel and dime book.

Marilyn R said...

Those must be some giant pine cones! The thought of someone actually watching for falling cones made me giggle. Thanks!

Karen said...

I used to buy fabric at Woolworth's for clothing.

Guðrún said...

LOL, the signs are funny.

Carole said...

Certainly a place to visit should I ever find myself in your next of the wood. Love the building. If ever you are in Cape Breton NS, you would enjoy the museum of Alexander Graham Bell who wanted to be remembered not with his invention of the telephone but for the work that he did for the deaf! Keep well!

Perry said...

That is a shame about the Woolworth's Museum. I have fond memories of riding the bus to town on Saturdays and buying the clay fruit and figurines to paint. Then I got to hang them on the wall. Don't remember what the stuff they were made of was called, but it was great fun. As for the pinecones, I think they are after protection of the tree from humans, maybe, lol.