Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Thank you for all the anniversary well-wishes. We had a wonderful day - the perfect way to start off our next year. Disneyland opened at 6:30 in the morning on Sunday (because they were closing early for a special event.) We arrived just as the gates opened and saw sunrise in the park. Due to the early hour, the crowds were non-existent. We were able to easily walk on rides rather than waiting in lines. By the time of our breakfast reservation, we had been on several of the larger attractions and taken a walk through a good part of the park.
One of the things I love about Disney parks is the way they dress up for each season. There's seasonal buntings on buildings and the grounds are replanted with flowers and vegetables that represent the time of year. I forgot to take out the camera in Disneyland, but Hubby reminded me to pull it out in California Adventure.
The midway.And the gardens. I think I'd like to have a candy corn garden next year.
We did and saw our fill and still managed to be home around 2 in the afternoon. Plenty of time to relax a little, freshen up and then a nice dinner at a favorite place in town.
Now back out our regular routine. Well, our modified 'staycation' routine anyway. I did some indoor chores, Hubby worked on some outdoor chores and touch-up painting, The Princess went to her classes. In the afternoon, I went to the cubby and started work on the Amish Pinwheells.

With only a photo for inspiration, I had some math to do to get the right size for the outer triangles. Without too much mental stress, it works out to be a 6" finished block. I have a feeling they are much larger in the original. That's just fine with me, I'll just have more blocks in my completed top. After some digging in the garden, I hope to get some more blocks finished today. I am enjoying this 'staycation' immensely.

27 comments:

Judy said...

They are turning out very well! It's funny, I live 20 minutes from Busch Gardens and still haven't been there in about 15 years or so. Definitely better to go when the crowds are gone!
Glad you had such a great day.

The pinwheels are coming along nicely!

Paula said...

So glad you and your hubby got to spend time together for your anniversary/vacation. It's not often that you find people committed to a relationship like the two of you are. 29 years is certainly something to celebrate! Congrats.

Screen Door said...

Glad you had fun--- Love the new piece you are working on--- great color combo...

Carol said...

Sounds like a perfect day!

Julie said...

What a great way to start off your "stay-cation." I think Honey & I will make a Disney visit when we are down your way in March. Should be a nice time to visit and avoid the crowds.

Love your little pinwheels. I'm partial to small sized blocks.

Stephanie D. said...

Staycations are pretty nice, aren't they?

Hope yours is nice and balanced!

Sweet P said...

Belated Happy Anniversary! Your day sounds wonderful. I love the B&W photo of the two of you. It's awesome.

sewprimitive karen said...

What a perfect visit to Disneyland. I love that ferris wheel! Your posts have just been great and Happy Anniversary.

Carole said...

Sounds like a perfect day of celebration! I forget that Disney Land is in your area. Somehow I thought you were going to Florida, which is the Disney I visit! ;o) Lovely blocks!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

I love the Candy Corn Garden!!!!

Your new pinwheel project looks great :O)..

Cara said...

Your blocks are wonderful! Glad you had a good day at Disney- Happy Anniversary btw!

Milah said...

I'm glad you had a nice anniversary celebration. My husband and I celebrated our 30th this year and we were both sick with colds. We did go stay at a state park and he bought me a dining room set so it wasn't totally bad.
I like the pinwheel quilt. I think I'll make one of those this winter. What I like best about Amish quilts is the black really sets off the primary colors.

Karen said...

Glad you enjoying your staycation and had a good time on your special day. Love the pinwheels :)

Hugs - Karen

Norma said...

You just missed my grandkids. My DD, her husband and the kids along with his brothers family were there Friday and Sat. They had a great time and it sounds like you did too!

Happy Anniversary and best wishes for many more.

Catherine said...

What a super time it sounds like you had! Your pinwheels are fabulous -- I love the colours/fabrics you're using.

dee said...

I'm so glad your day went really well. It sounds like you had fun. Love those pinwheels

MARCIE said...

Love the pinwheels! The colors are so pretty too. Glad you had a nice day in D-land. I want to grow candy corn too!

Marilyn R said...

I'm glad you had such a great day with your Sweetie. The pinwheels are going to be so neat!

quilterpolly said...

I love the little amish pinwheels:) Hey if you had to do the math for them maybe you could help me study for my final:)hehehe... Glad you had fun at disneyland with hubby:)

Susie said...

Happy Anniversary you two!
Loved seeing the wedding photo :)
Disneyland at 6:30 sounds wonderful!
I'm a morning person and love to avoid those crowds!
xo

Sherry said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. A candy corn garden, how fun is that! Love the Amish Pinwheels project you've started.

Quilts And Pieces said...

ooo - I would love a candy corn garden! I love disney!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Congrats on the anniversary Libby, loved the wedding photo. Not been to DisneyLand in over 25 years...but loved that place. Looks like your quilting in the cubby is working well. I am sewing up a storm...but on functional .... curtaining...etc. So not much fun. But hoping to post tomorrow...forgot to take photos of my latest... Have a great weekend.

KCQuilter said...

Happy Anniversary! And what a wonderful way to celebrate it.

Karen said...

Very nice Amish Pinwheels.

Nines said...

Love the pinwheels!

Kim said...

Nice way to celebrate, a day of playing together sounds wonderful. We enjoy staycations...does a body good to have time to enjoy home, too.