Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What a week! It's only barely begun, yet is has been filled with completely unexpected surprises. First was a delight found in the mailbox. A package from Paula, the quilter filled with knitted fun and crocheted fun. I have been quizzing her for some time about knitted dishcloths - are they really nice to use? are they difficult to make? etc., etc. Remember, my knitting skills are limited at best. So she sent me a care package with two knitted cloths of my very own and a matching potholder. All were put into immediate service. I don't think I have ever so looked forward to facing a sink full of dirty dishes.
I can now say with authority that knitted dishcloths are very nice tools to have in the kitchen. Thank you, Paula! Now to get The Princess to show me, yet again, how to cast on.
The next surprise was found in the garden, or what's left of the garden. I'm cleaning out the last of the summer plantings in anticipation of putting in a small winter garden. The only remaining things to be pulled up were the gourd-less gourds (I used old seeds) and the fruit-less watermelon vine (I planted late.) Keep in mind that both continued to set blossoms, but that's it. Feeling that I had given them fair opportunity to produce, I started pulling them out in time for trash day today. One particular spot near a rose bush was most difficult to pull out - because nestled in the canes and thorns of that rose grew a very happy and well protected watermelon!
After tussling and tugging some more, I found a second smaller melon. I have been smiling ever since. The first slices were enjoyed with dinner last night and a better melon, I've never tasted.
I also thought that the pepper plants would soon be ready to pull out. What kind of crazy idea was that? I roasted over 60 Anaheim peppers for the freezer and am mulling what to do with two and a half pounds of jalapenos.
Maybe I'll pickle some of them, I found a recipe for candies peppers and possibly I can give some away. There's a whole lot of spicy in that bowl with more yet to come.
I spent quality sewing time in the cubby today. Here's a look at the Amish Pinwheels. It is now officially a top.
Tomorrow I'll add borders, a skinny black border, a slim red border and a final wide black. Then on to piecing a back and basting. I plan to hand quilt using a dark brown thread. The photo of the inspiration quilt shows nice detail of the quilting. I hope to create a similar look for my version. It's going to be just the right size to cuddle under while I work on the stitches as the evenings begin to become a little crisp.

28 comments:

ranette said...

I love your Amish pinwheel quilt...can't wait to see it with the borders on.

paula, the quilter said...

The pinwheel is coming along nicely! So glad you liked the RAK.

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Congratulations on the watermelon! That is so cool that you were able to grow them.

I love your Amish Pinwheels. Nice quilt!

Stephanie D. said...

I was at a local fruit stand today and saw jalapeno pickled eggs--and I think jalapeno pickled okra, but not sure about that.

Maybe you could dice some up in some marinated mushrooms or freeze them whole for salsa later?

I can't believe you're still getting watermelons in October!

Lea said...

You are SOooooo talented! The Amish pinweel is so beautiful and delightful. I really love it!

Wow, a watermelon in your backyard! I got to tell my hubby about your success. He never succeeds his watermelon biz.*LOL*

after you told me about the pine cone park, I took a good look again. Yup, that's THAT park! *LOL* I better go see it.*S*

Kathy Wagner said...

Love your amish pinwheels!
What fun treats you found in your mailbox and your garden!!

keryn said...

Have you tried this recipe for your jalopenos? It's one of our favourites
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/07/bacon-wrapped_j/

The quilt is looking good, the borders will finish it off beautifully.

Beth said...

Reading your blog always leaves me with a smile on my face!

Catherine said...

Your pinwheel top is fantastic!! I'm really looking forward to seeing the quilting on it.

Kim said...

Paula sent a similar package to me! Wasn't that nice of her? I do love those dishcloths. I'm trying to learn how to make them too. I can make the first half and then I get it fouled up. You pinwheel quilt is wonderful...love that scrap happy kind of quilt.

Kathie said...

what a surprise it was a watermelon!
great picture thanks for sharing it. OH I LOVE your Amish pinwheel quilt. It is perfect
now I know I need to buy some of those fabrics you suggested.
the black is great is it from the same shop Or is it a kona black?
thanks
Kathie

Carol said...

Love your watermelon surprise tucked under the rose bush. Your Amish pinwheel is wonderful...can't wait to see the borders on.

Screen Door said...

Garden surprises are wonderful!!! What a green thumb.....

Stina said...

Bet that green round "ball" gave you a real surprise...so congratulations ...what a vegetable year for you...amazing!! And after that you go into your little cubby and make one absolutly fantastic quilt...:o)..its just amazing... :o)

KCQuilter said...

Just a warning: once you start crocheting or knitting dishcloths, you won't want to quit LOL! It is so therapeutic to sit in front of the TV with a ball of yarn, a hook or pair of knitting needles, and a mindless repetitive pattern. And--best of all--you have something very useful when you're done!!!

Cara said...

Oh I love your pinwheel quilt! That watermelon was a nice surprise- how about some jarred homemade salsa for those jalepenos? Surely that could last!

Marilyn R said...

A day with surprises - fun! The Amish Pinwheel quilt is going to be so stunning!

Julia said...

That is a beautiful creation that has come out of your little sewing corner!
How is the bonding coming along with your new machine?

sewprimitive karen said...

Wow, Libby, how exciting to come upon a nice watermelon that you didn't know was there. You are such a gardener! What will you put in your winter garden? Your quilt is really nice (what batting?)

~Bren~ said...

I love knitted dishcloths...it is all I use. My friend Sue (Quilting Chatter) knits great circular dishcloths and I just buy them from her for $2 a piece. I actually have one from Paula, as she sent it with my 4 Season's Summer quilt. It is one of my favorites....The pattern is great and the quality is excellent!

The Amish Pinwheel is beautiful!!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Loving your Amish quilt.... I've accomplished not much this week. But love your special discoveries in the garden. Lucky you. I found tomato plants with flowers on them...but since I didn't plant them...had no idea they were there. Guess it is way too late for baby tomatoes to ripen. Shame.

Ali Honey said...

Your pinwheels look realy great.
Treasure in the garden - so glad you found it at it's best. Imagine if you'd left it to rotand found it later..... Glad it was yummy.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

ewwww how fun to discover you had Melons!

Did you find the candied Jalapeno recipe online? If so can you link me up :O)... I LOVE those...

You will be enjoying your summer garden all the way to the next one with everything you have put up off it :O)...how nice!

Karen said...

Oh, your Amish pinwheels is going to be a winner - at least to me!
And what a delight to find watermelons growing. We like really good watermelon. Oh, do try again next year.
You can think of more things to do with those peppers. Invite my husband to dinner, please! He would be ever so happy.

Guðrún said...

The pinwheel top is beautiful.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love your Amish quilt and wow a watermelon NOW??? You truly are a gardener. LOL

Carole said...

Lovely top! We are still getting surprises from our garden dispite the cold weather. DH has been covering the tomatoes on a frost nite! Enjoy!

MARCIE said...

What a wonderful, mouth-watering surprise in your garden! It took a minute for me to see the watermelon hidden in your photo. I wouldn't have a clue what to do with all those peppers, but they sure look pretty. And I LOVE the pinwheels! Awesome colors, etc. Another winner!