Monday, November 03, 2008

Again many thank you's for each of the kind get better soon wishes you have sent my way. Today I graduated to a smaller and more manageable bandage - cute to look at but still a little protection. Swelling has gone down enough that I can bend that joint just a little. I haven't lost the nail . . . so maybe I won't. The dark spot in the second picture is a bruise that goes around to the front. It still makes me queasy just thinking about it.
But I won't let a quilting injury stop me. A girl's gotta get right back on that horse and ride. Here is the project I was working on - Marcie's Christmas Sparkler. Hasn't she come up with another wonderful design?
The quilting is not my best work. I finished it just as soon as I bandaged my finger up but before I realized just how bad I felt. Once it's been washed it will crinkle up, get that cozy look and no one will ever know the difference.
Slowly but surely I've been getting some quilting stitches in the Amish Pinwheel. It's starting to look as if this will be my winter's hand quilting project. There's nothing at all quick about hand quilting, but it sure is satisfying and relaxing.
I was able to get back to the stocking project this weekend as well.

They really are fun. The stockings on the left are made from strips sewn together randomly to look like candy canes. I lined them with left over pieces of batting. While I like the feel, I don't think I'll do more with the batting which took up more space than you would imagine. The others are from the tea dyed muslin and machine appliqued. This entire project has come from the scrap bin and stash.
I did use a pattern for the first batch, now I'm just winging it. A stocking shape is very simple to draw out on freezer paper. I've gone through my patterns and books looking for fun shapes and designs to use for applique. Some of the rusty bells will be used for embellishing. I hope to make another batch later in the week. First I need to purchase more fusible web.
Speaking of the rusty bells, you can find the tutorial for rusting items here. Please be very careful with the solution, it odor is caustic at best. Clearly it can't be good for you, your family or pets to breath those fumes. Also be sure to find a safe place to dispose of any left over. If it rusts bells - just think what it would do to your pipes. Mine is in a sealed jar that I intend to take to the hazardous recycle center in our area.

18 comments:

Stina said...

Oh...love you Winnie the Pooh Bear plaster...cute... Great that you are back inte sewing...
Love your growing crowd of stockings...especially the long and slim ones...love that shape... lol... ;o)

MARCIE said...

Libby, you didn't really slow down, did you? I am so glad you were able to do the Christmas sparkler! And I am wild about your stockings of various shapes! You think of the coolest things! I am glad your finger is recovering and I know Winnie the Pooh is such a comfort.

Judy said...

Ah come on, let me see!! I like gross stuff!!! Look away and let hubby take a picture!! Ha, LOL! Just kidding...but not about the gross stuff I love seeing that!

the stockings look good and Marcie is a genius, another great pattern on my list!

Yvonne said...

I think you've gotten more done with your injured finger than I have with ten good ones. :) I love your version of Marcie's quilt and the stocking...well, I just love them all!!!! :)

Wendy said...

I'm glad your finger is getting better. It didn't seem to slow you down, I love the Christmas quilt...I'll have to check that one out. The candy cane stockings are so fun. Are the stockings for you or are you giving them away?

Julia said...

You still seem to get a lot done even with an injured finger. :~) Glad to hear that it is on the mend. Maybe you won't lose the fingernail. I have my fingers crossed for you.

I love the fabrics that you used in the little Christmas quilt.

Guðrún said...

The Christmas sparkler is great, the stars sparkle! I hope your finger will heal very soon.

Quilt Hollow said...

Marcie's pattern is popping up....I'd best get the lead out and make one! Yours looks fantastic and I'm sure with a quick wash/dry....you'll have the crinkled look we both just love!

Carol said...

Glad your finger is doing better...didn't put much of a crimp in what you got done though...can't keep a good woman down! Your Christmas Sparkler is just wonderful. LOVE IT! Your stockings couldn't be cuter.

yellowfarmhouse said...

Great decoration for your bindy. Glad that your getting back into some light sewing. Your stockings are adorable. Every year I say I'm going to make new ones and it always comes around and it never gets done. The boys have their knitted ones that grandma made so they are special, but i still would like to do my own. Hmmmm is there still time :).

Hugs - karen

Catherine said...

Glad your finger is healing -- the cute bandage must be helping! :-)
Your stockings are wonderful!

dee said...

so glad you're feeling better-not that it appears to have slowed you down much. The stars are just darling. I got a chuckle out of the stockings. One year I made my own pattern from freezer paper and made some. It was like eating chips-I couldn't stop. Everyone got a stocking. I still have some....somewhere.

~Bren~ said...

UGH I got queasy too!! I am glad you are feeling better. You are right...there is nothing fast about hand quilting, but I am not going anywhere anyway!

Darlene said...

I love the bandage. A cute band aid sometimes will help ease the pain. LOL

The Christmas sparkler is darling. And, those stockings are great.

quilterpolly said...

I am so glad you are doing better:) take your time to heal and just work at a slower pace and most important give yourself permission to go slow.

Janet said...

I'm glad your finger is on the mend. Your Christmas Sparkler quilt is wonderful. I've been inspired by your stockings and am working on some of my own.

Perry said...

I can certainly imagine what you are going through with your finger. I did that to one of my fingers several years ago and still have nightmares about it. Glad you are getting better. I agree with Marcie, I don't think you have slowed down too much, lol.

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

I love your candy cane striped stockings!! Tooo cute. Hope your poor dear finger is feeling better!
Melissa