Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Doesn't it feel good to put the last stitches in a project and call it done. Binding a quilt is the favorite part of the entire process for me. There's just something about the repetitive stitches, you know you are finishing but it also feels a little like a secret that is being sealed in the layers.
I got to have that fun feeling twice this week. First the snowball quilt with the applique stitched down and a few buttons to give the snowman a little personality.The second is the Stick Tree. The Princess was a little curious as to why this snowman doesn't have a body. That one was easy - because he's only a snowball.
Speaking of The Princess, I'm starting to wonder if I should give her a new name - The Scholar. Here she is working on a paper for one of her classes.
Oh I won't change her name. She has been The Princess since my dad first laid eyes on her. But I do marvel at her dedication to her studies. I remember when I used to have to nag, beg, bribe, cajole, and threaten just to get her to crack a book from time to time. Now her studies come first above all else. I tell ya, it makes a mom proud.
Now all of that study doesn't mean that a girl can't have some fun. We added another game to our cabinet last week - Dominoes, and set about learning to play the version called Mexican Train.
After struggling through a few hands at the table Friday evening, we felt as if we had a grasp of how to play by bedtime and planned to play some more on Saturday. In the morning, The Princess went over her day's schedule of study and work only to discover she wouldn't have much time for games that day. Well that just wouldn't do. What fun we had in our pajamas playing dominoes with breakfast. We may just be on to a new tradition.



***I love to respond to comments and I'm particularly happy to answer questions you may have about a pattern I've used or a recipe I've shared . . . but you must have your profile set so that an email address is available. If your comments come as 'No Reply' that is the only option I have. Please check your profile settings and update them with an email address. Go to your dashboard page, click where it says 'Edit Profile' on the left side of the page. Then check 'Show email address' and enter an address. If you fear spam email, set up an account specifically for blogging. I think you'll be happy you did.

33 comments:

Yvonne said...

I love them! It does make a mama proud to see her children shine. :)

We play dominoes every week...the train game. We have such fun!

Are you all better now?

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Love dominoes...we like to play moon and chicken foot with the colored ones. I adore your two little quilts..... the snowball is making me want to try one! Very sweet.

Beth said...

Both adorable quilts! I really need to make a trip to Quilter's Coop one of these days, it's been a while, and I love that store! That's great that The Princess is so dedicated to her studies!

Quilt Hollow said...

Oh Libby! Pleeeeese send me one! LOL Your small quilts are adorable!

I agree....it amazes me to see my son #1 come home from college and still sit here and study with all that goes on around him!

Vicki W said...

The quilts are so cute! They look great!

Guðrún said...

They are both perfect, I just love them.

paula, the quilter said...

As always, you just finished the cutest darn quilts. TheKid once told me that he wished he had listened to me in high school about applying himself. I just couldn't believe my ears on that one. I love board games but DH doesn't.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh we had learned how to play Mexican Train once! We loved dominoes and Mexican Train. I love your two little quilts! Especially the stick tree!

quiltmom said...

Libby,
I love playing dominoes and there are so many great variations. We play one that is called chicken's feet. My husband and I played first with an American friend who royally trounced us many times before we were of any challenge to her and her husband. She had been taught by the best - some old aunties who knew all the tricks of playing dominoes. None of it was too serious- lots of good fun.

I am sure that your daughter will be a great success at school - Its nice when they find out what it is that is going to make their heart sing..

Happy quilting and dominoe playing,
Regards,
Anna

Sweet P said...

The princess does look studious. What classes is she taking?

I haven't played dominos in a long time. DH and I used to play cribbage, but now we spend too much time on our laptops. Maybe I should restart the tradition.

Carole said...

How adorable! The quilts are so cute! You've been a busy bee! I see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! ;o) Hugs!

Stina said...

Ohh..Libby...I love your two little quilts...they are just sooo prim!!! :o)... Hmmm...dominos...dont think I ever have played that...wonder if we have that in Sweden...have to check that out...:o)

Betweens said...

I love your primitive snowflakes they are so unique and really make your quilt.. to see the before and after.. what great ideas..thanks for sharing..
you sound like a proud mother and that is all we can ask for..

Carol said...

Love your Stick Tree and Snowman quilts...Cheri does the best patterns and you just do a wonderful job with them.

sewprimitive karen said...

Love the exchange about Snowball Man lol.

Judy said...

I like the alternate background on the Stick tree! Very well done.
Ah Dominoes! We love them but 2 people can't really play Mexican train that well, too easy. We've been playing that game for about 20 years and love it. It's really fun with about 6-8 people and even with a double 15 set of tiles! We play dirty! I need to find another couple to turn on to Dominoes soon. Wish you lived closer.

Catherine said...

Both your little quilts are wonderful -- and I agree, putting the binding on is a wonderful feeling.
I love board and card games too -- but DH is not a big fan.

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

Okay now you've done it. I can't stand it any longer I have to make those little quilts, so I visited the Cheri Payne site you linked for us. OH MY GOOOOOODNESS. I love everything stinkin pattern she has up there. I am gonna go broke buying her patterns.
Then it dawned on me that I have 2 Indigo Junction books that she designed for them, no wonder I felt a draw toward them I made alot of her patterns out of those books and those are amoung my favorite quilts. Thank you for sharing!!
melissa

ROZ said...

Well the snowball quilt turned out to have a snowman! What a cute surprise.

McIrish Annie said...

I love your stick tree! very you!

My dad loved to play dominoes and taught us all to play. He learned from his mom.

Julie said...

Such cute quilts! I'm all jazed about paper piecing so I'm pulling out that star pillow top kit we got on our little shopping spree! I'm making bread today, too! Hope you are safe from all the smoke down there...

Your Princess must make you so proud!

Marilyn R said...

Your little quilts are so adorable! My family plays a dominoe game that I believe is very similar to Mexican Train. We call it Trash Train. Dominoes are so much fun to play with a large group of people.

Kathy Wagner said...

Don't you just love binding!!!?!
Way to go on 2 finishes!

Stephanie D. said...

Those two little quilts are so YOU! And so cute!

J-Man has played dominoes in the past, but I never have.
Sounds like fun, though.

Sherry said...

Your snowball & stick tree quilts turned out wonderful. My grandparents loved to play dominoes & when family gathered we played a game called chicken track. Probably the same as what some call chicken feet. I'm with you on binding a quilt, my favorite part. Just knowing you've finished up another project & something relaxing about sitting down & handstitching that binding down. Great job!

Julia said...

Oh my goodness, I am so in love with the little snowman quilt! I have such a soft spot for snowmen and this one is so adorable!!!!

Karen said...

I have been thinking about buying a set of dominoes. My husband and I usually play two games of Upwords after every meal. It is very relaxing. We can watch television and play at the same time if we want.

Good finish on your projects!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love all your little quilts Libby. I've gotta quilt my stick tree still. And I love that snowman one. I think Judy also made that one.
What a cute Princess/scholar you have there.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You're right, there's no better finish than that of the last stitch! Congrats to your scholar, her work ethic and stick-to-itiveness will get her far in life!!

Carin said...

Libby you should be very proud! I like the snowball snowman tree.

whitey said...

First time I heard of Mexican train was from my 80 year old Great Aunt Joye she plays it every Monday at the senior center,I figured it was some local game now I see that others play it .

gwen said...

The domino game looks interesting. I only know the simple one and it is just getting a little boring even for my DS! Will try that one!
Looking a quilt after it crinkled up is always one of my favorite part too. And your 2 crinckled up beautifully.
I will have a go at it soon too as my mother has sent me a top to machine quilt.
Take care.

Maria, Patchwork Mill said...

I like your Stick Tree with the Snowball. It makes me smile. It is snowing here and freezing, so thanks.
Maria