Friday, November 14, 2008

The holidays are creeping up on me faster than my mind can get in gear. It's true that I've been working on decorating and gift projects for a few weeks now, but the fact of just how close Thanksgiving and Christmas really are hit home while shopping at my favorite meat counter this week. There were signs all around reminding me it's time to place my order for the Thanksgiving turkey. That one little event unleashes a flurry of shopping, decorating, baking, cooking, card writing, mailing, visiting, movie watching, all mixed with liberal amounts of snacking, game playing and general merriment that will become the focus of the next six weeks. *whew* I think I'd better borrow a tip from the busiest of all at this time of year and start making a list and checking it twice. I don't want to forget anything.
Little bits of Christmas decorations are starting to show up around the house even before the boxes have been pulled from the garage rafters. I found these little make-do trees at the quilt shop. It is really fun to pick one up and listen to the jingle bells.
This little pack of fat quarters called my name from across the shop. They were 25% off, so I bought the little basket they were in, too. Just doing my part to help the economy.
I quilted up the two applique backgrounds that were pieced earlier this week. They have been bound and through the washer and dryer. They way they crinkle up fresh from the dryer just sends me over the moon every time.The Snowball quilt is all ready to applique. The Stick Tree has all it's pieces prepped, but not placed on yet. I kept the wool box out for just a little longer. There is one more, secret project that I need to get working on. That's the part of the holidays that I really enjoy - feeling like one of the elves.

27 comments:

Stephanie D. said...

You're such a patriot, Libby! The economy owes you! lol

Yep, I can feel time sliding down that slippery slope, too. I have a few gifts already, but it dawned on me I need to get my hiney in gear and order the rest so they'll have time to ship!

paula, the quilter said...

I love those trees. I saw some similar ones last year and vowed to make one or two. Here it is another year gone by and did I make any? Nope.

kjquilts said...

Love the make do trees! I also love the snowball quilt! Everyday I say I will start my Christmas shopping but don't get around to it. I'd better check my list too!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Hey I was just at my favorite meat market yesterday and ordered my turkey. Your right it's sneaking up and I'm pretty sure like usual I won't be ready. Your little trees are so cute.

Hugs - karen

Sherry said...

I share with you to do my part to stir the economy. :) I also feel somewhat overwhelmed yet excited about the approaching holidays. Your little make-do trees are cute. Love the jingle bells on them. That snowball quilt is going to be so awesome when you get it done. Have a great week-end!

Kathie said...

I love that snowman wallhanging, just adorable...snowmen just melt my heart!
I will have to get my plaid snowman wallhanging out and show you ...have to admit I like yours better!
that tree is just adorable
what shop did you buy that at?
do they have an online shop ? I may have to help the economy as well :)
Kathie

Stina said...

Oh my gosh Libby... I just love the trees...wish we could find something like this in my hometown...!!!
Love the wallhanging... you have made a wonderful version ...:o)
Love your work!! :o)

Jeanne said...

That snowman quilt is so cute! Love the trees, too. We must all do our part to help the economy!

darlynn said...

Love the trees!!!

What is the name of the snowman pattern? LOve it!!!

Carol said...

How can we possibly be in the middle of November??? Love your snowman quilt!

Angie said...

Those trees are just adorable, Libby! And oooh, I do love your plaid bundle---and that little wire basket, oh, I want one too!! :D Your snowman quilt is just precious! I can't wait to see the other too. :) Yup, we are gonna have to make those lists and check them twice!! ;)

Diane said...

Glad to see the finger injury has not impeded quilting progress. I just love the snowman quilt. One thing that makes it so charming is the variety of blue plaids.

julieQ said...

The holiday decorations have been out here since August. I plan on very simple decorations this year.

Judy said...

Me too, all of a sudden I can't wrap my mind around what I needed to get done...what's done, and what's too late. It's all jumbled in together! I did get the first Christmas quilt hung yesterday and hopefully tomorrow the big one will go up.

I'm sitting down to sew the snowman background today! Yours turned out very well!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

How cute is your snowman little quilt. I love it. Is that a pattern Libby?? Love the trees too. I've been working on my Christmas gifts like crazy. It's coming wayyy tooo fast.

MARCIE said...

Are you saying that you BOUGHT those trees? They are darling, but you have all those rusty bells to use. Hmmm, wonder what else is coming...

Catherine said...

Those trees are great! All the street decorations -- wreaths on lamp posts and some Christmas trees -- are making their presence known here. Guess its' time to get into the spirit!

Guðrún said...

The Christmas trees are gorgeous and of course your snowman quilt is beautiful.

Karen said...

The snowman quilt is adorable. So prim looking. I'd have bought that basket myself had I seen it.

AverettLadyNana said...

I am so jealous...a real meat counter! There was a butcher shop here some years back and he had the most wonderful meats...after he closed there was a Gourmet Market and their meat counter was wonderful but that fell under after a few years...

I am glad someone is ready to put up Christmas decorations besides me and my dd...she put up a pink faux tree today in the girls (three under three) playroom.

I just may decide tomorrow to put out a few decorations I bought the past month at some shows.

Wendy said...

I melt when I see Christmas decorations and can't seem to resist buying more, the trees with the rusty bells are so adorable. You did an awesome job of the snowball quilt.

Lucy said...

Love the trees libby. and we have the same wire basket! I have regret I didn't buy the bigger version. I do also have this small one :-)

Marcia said...

Thank you for all of your posts. You're a wonderful quilter. I'm a fellow So. Californian and would love to go to that quilt store and get one of those little Christmas trees.
Blessings,
Marcia

Chocolate Cat said...

So glad you are helping the economy!! How could you resist that little basket and fat quarters??

sewprimitive karen said...

Those trees are perfect with the rusty bells and the bases.

Trying to Stay Calm! said...

What a cute blog you have here :)

LBP said...

I am going to have to tell my husband that shopping is helping the economy too! Just doing my part! I love those trees!

Blessings

Linda