Thursday, November 06, 2008

I can still remember the first time I tasted a pomegranate. I was in kindergarten and the lesson had to do with the five senses. There was a table set up where we could test our sense of taste. Those little red seeds were so fun to pop in my mouth. When they burst open and the tasty juice filled my mouth I knew I wanted more.
Every fall, my mom would reluctantly buy the fruit for me. I was always admonished to eat it outside and try, just try to keep it from getting on my clothes. As time passed, I grew up and became responsible for my own laundry and stain removal. Those pomegranates didn't seem like the delightful treat of my childhood.
Then a couple of years ago, I saw a program on The Food Network that showed how to get all that ruby goodness from the fruit without the telltale stains on your fingers and clothes. I just couldn't believe the simple solution they were offering me - do all the peeling underwater. The seeds (pips) are filled with juice and heavy; they sink right to the bottom. The pith and peel float right to the top, easily skimmed and tossed away. It really works. I can once again enjoy a fall favorite.
Speaking of The Food Network, is anyone watching The Chef Jeff Project? When I first saw commercials, I thought it would be easy to dismiss as just another reality chef/cooking challenge show. You know lots of shouting, unrealistic menus prepared under odd circumstances and contestants working more diligently at sabotaging one another than at delivering a good product. I'm happy to say that is not the case at all. The program is about mentoring and giving second chances to kids who could really use a boost to turn their lives around. No one is voted off. Each of the six aspiring chefs featured has the opportunity to win a culinary scholarship at the end of the show. I have my fingers crossed that all six will make it to the end.
I've finished another batch of stockings. They really are addictive to make.
With prep done for another five, I think I'll halt production when they are complete until everyone has done some holiday shopping.

22 comments:

MARCIE said...

Great pomegranite tip. Your stockings are amazing. I love-love-love them! I wonder if I can make those small enough to hang on the tree? That green Chile soup looks fabulous. I want to come right over!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

What a great tip,, I love the taste of pomegranates, just not the mess and well I have yet to find anything cooking wise to do with them, other than just eat them... I am for sure going to get some and do this :O)...

Paula said...

More adorable stockings....love them.

kesha said...

The pomegranate is native from Iran to the Himalayas in northern India and was cultivated and naturalized over the whole Mediterranean region since ancient times. It is widely cultivated throughout India and the drier parts of southeast Asia, Malaya, the East Indies and tropical Africa. The tree was introduced into California by Spanish settlers in 1769. In this country it is grown for its fruits mainly in the drier parts of California and Arizona.

---------------------------------------------

kesha

Internet Marketing

Kathie said...

oh these are great too, love the snowman, oh heck I love them all.
can't wait to see the next batch!!!!

Screen Door said...

I grew up stealing pomegranites off of a neighbor's tree. I smiled when I read your post.The santa stocking is my favorite-- snowman not far behind....too cute.

Connie W said...

Such cute little prim stockings.

Stina said...

Oh...have never eaten a pomegranate...I´m allergic to most fruits..so I keep away from them... :o(...bet they taste deliscious!!!
And your evergrowing collection of stockings are impressive...wow Libby... what to say!!! :o)

Catherine said...

Oh, how I love your stockings! And am glad your finger is healed enough that you can make them!

Quilt Hollow said...

My grandmother had a pomegranate tree in her backyard....all us grandkids loved to just sit out back at grandmas eating the seeds...and yes, we had to have our "play" clothes on for this. What a fun memory you brought back to me today. Those little stockings are adorable. Why so many?

Fiona said...

When I was at school we used to cut them in half and eat them with a pin - picking out each 'seed' sucking off the flesh and spitting out the pip. Then I read in a magazine that the best way to eat a pomegranate was to repeatedly bash it against a wall, whole so that all of the juice was released inside the fruit, and then just pierce a hole in the pomegranate and drink the liquid out of the hole. When I tried this, the pomegranate exploded all over me when I pierced a hole in it! Don't think I've eaten one since.

Julie said...

I love pomegranates. When we lived in the SF bay area we had a tree, really a little bush. It bore a lot of little red balls every other year or so. I sure miss it. I use the seeds sprinkled in salads. They are very high in anti-oxidents, etc.

I'm making chili verde today, inspired by your chili soup. Gonna do some bread tomorrow, God willin' and the creek don't rise!(as Grandma use to say)

Finn said...

Your stocking are just so cool...love the idea, love the look, love the saving of paper and tape!
And your Christmas Sparkler turned out very nicely.
Thanks for the recipe links *VBS* Big hugs, Finn

hetty said...

Love your stockings!

Judy said...

Another easy way to get the seeds out is to cut it in half, turn it over cut side down and take a wooden spool and thwack the heck out of it on the back. All the seeds start to fall right out.

Stephanie D. said...

You know, I don't think I've ever eaten a pomegranate. I may just have to try one.

Julia said...

You know I don't think that I have ever eaten one either. Are they sweet? I might have to try one, just to see.

dee said...

Love those poms as well. I just wanted to comment on the Chef Jeff show. I think that it's the first realy positive thing in reality tv that I've seen. Nice to know that real mentoring is going on. We need lots more like Jeff.

Karen said...

I have never tasted a pomegranate that I know of. Sounds luscious.
Oh, those stockings aare adorable! I would have trouble picking just one for myself.

Quilts And Pieces said...

These stockings are just way tooo cute!

I remember my first taste of pomogranites too! My best friend lived in a HUGE family, 10 kids and she was 2nd oldest. They had some and I had never seen such a thing. Whenever I see them now I think of her and her family!

Marilyn R said...

I am catching up on my blog reading this morning - your stockings are adorable! I am so glad your finger is better and allowing you to get back to quilting and blogging! I have eaten pomegranites once and at the time didn't know if we were to eat the pip part. We didn't, but enjoyed the juicey seeds anyway! Yum!

Kathy Wagner said...

How funny! My daughter was begging me to buy a pomegranate this week and I refused! Now that I know the secret I will buy her some!
Thanks!