Sunday, November 09, 2008

I had been anticipating Saturday morning and a trip to Old Town Temecula all week. I was in possession of a little postcard notice that one of my favorite primitive shops, Rooster Creek (no website,) was having their holiday open house. Hubby and I got ourselves ready to hit the road nice and early. I can always find a little something in that shop and this time was no exception. While I didn't pickup any holiday items, I came away with some decorating ideas and some fabric.They have a small selection of wool on the bolt and much of that was on sale! One piece of wool and two new homespuns just had to come home with me.
Only a couple of doors down from Rooster Creek is The Quilter's Coop, another on my list of favorites. Not only do they have a great selection of fabrics and inspiring samples, they have a supply of patterns by Cheri Payne. As you can see, a couple just had to come home with me.A fella like Hubby should only have to take so much fabric shopping, so we took a break for some lunch before we started browsing our way through the antique shops. From past experience, I know that I find the best stuff when I don't have anything in particular in mind. I found this bowl tucked in the corner of a booth in one of the shops.
I shared my love of old bowls in a previous post. This new addition to my collection is an exact match to one I already have only one size larger. I can hardly wait to use it. Hubby and I had such fun on our little shopping excursion. Just the right kind of get-away day.
When we got home the fun wasn't done. There was a package on the porch from an order I had placed with Lehman's. We have been wanting some new games for the family to play during the holidays and beyond. I just couldn't resist this Chinese Checkers game. It will be fun to play and it will look great hanging on the wall.
I think I'll pop some corn to fill that new bowl, fill mugs with hot chocolate and we'll have some good, old-fashioned family fun around the table tonight.

21 comments:

Paula said...

Sounds like a great day, and an evening to look forward to! Have fun with the family.

Stina said...

Of the purchases I can see that you had a really terrific day!!!
I just love Cheris Patterns and you sure found some nice ones... ;o)
And the Gameboard is just perfect!!

Quilt Memories said...

Fun Stuff....Isn't shopping fun, especially with our hubby's.!!!
Love all your goodies!!

Beth said...

Darn! I thought about going out to Quilter's Coop yesterday, I should have, I might have bumped into you!

Julia said...

Oh Chinese Checkers, my favorite game. I love this one! It will look fantastic hanging on the wall!

ROZ said...

Take me shopping

Wendy said...

What a prefect shopping date, fabric, patterns and antiques. I love the Cheri patterns you found and the bowl would be great for having popcorn. Have fun with the new family game.

Judy said...

I love wool like that with a big plaid design! I saw Cheri's new pattern this morning online and ordered a few myself. Not those though...you'll like doing Primitive Tree. She made some really cute new patterns!

In October each year we have this Fall in the Park thing with crafts and one year I got a custom painted chinese checkers board and you pick out your marbles from hundreds that her has...we used to play a lot. but hubby always whips me flat he so much better!!

Jeanne said...

Love the gameboard. My inlaws always played that game together. Sounds like a wonderful day.

Judy said...

Okay so I can't type...The guy has tons of marbles is what I meant. And hubby's too good for me and beats me solidly and quickly every time.

Quilts And Pieces said...

What a fun day! Love the homespuns and wool you got!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I love Temecula. And those two shops. We're going this week. WOOHOOOO Glad you had a great day.

Stephanie D. said...

What a nice day! And I really like that bowl--lucky find!

The Calico Cat said...

My grandma is a chinese checkers whiz!

Catherine said...

That snowman pattern is adorable! Your Saturday shopping expedition sounds like a wonderful event!
I hadn't thought about Chinese Checkers in years! Used to play that with my father.

paula, the quilter said...

I used to play a lot of Chinese Checkers with my grampa. I still have the marbles but have no clue what happened to the board. I have a small collection of old bowls too that look a bit like the one you show. I need to dig them out of storage in the basement and start using them.

Lucy said...

I love teh yellow ware bowl. I would love to have an antique one!maybe some day :-)

Karen said...

Oh, your outing sounds like a perfect day. How fun! I have been to Lehman's store in Ohio. What a treat it is to go there.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Your new game, popcorn in a great bowl and cocoa ... it works :O) have fun :O)....

Cheri Payne love love love her patterns :O)....

Ok so the Marines are 233 as of the 10th... and my little Marine :O) DH ... turns 50 tomorrow :O)... seems like that works out well :O)

julieQ said...

Fun that you could share some leisurely time with your sweetheart, and love your bowl! A great find...

raven's hollow said...

Hey!!! I bet you saw some of my dolls at rooster creek!! I put raggedy anns in there! I love quilters coop too, it is such a great store!!

Mary (in Wildomar)