Monday, November 24, 2008

Preparations for Thanksgiving have begun in earnest. All the purchases were made over the weekend and I didn't even have to go inside the supermarket chain-store in my area. In putting the items away, it became clear that I might need to use some things up from the freezer to make a little room.
This morning I pulled out a couple of pounds of frozen asparagus and made soup. It is the easiest recipe in the world to make up. Not only did I make a little room in the freezer, I got some extra space in the fridge by using up a couple of partially used containers of broth. Every little bit helps at this point of the game. And the added bonus of no cooking for the next couple of nights.
It is easy to make the soup creamy with an immersion blender - a pretty snappy little tool. If you don't have one on hand, a regular blender or even a hand mixer will do the trick. Hubby likes it if the soup still has a few 'chunks' here and there.
The majority of my day was spent baking bread. Our carbohydrate intake is going to be HUGE this week. These loaves of white bread are destined to become seasoned cubes for turkey stuffing.These loaves of squaw bread will make some mighty tasty sandwiches with the leftover turkey.
This sponge will become sandwich bread as well. Yes, it is true - our family enjoys the leftover turkey in sandwiches more than the original meal. I have never used leftover turkey for anything but sandwiches. The rest of our holiday meal will be simple, but abundant. Seasoned herb stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, fresh green beans and cranberry sauce - the jellied kind that comes from the can. I think it's funny in an ironic sort of way that that is our favorite. Oh, I've made my own from fresh berries, but it's just not the same as those jiggly little slices neatly arranged on the plate.
In the cubby, I have been working on a secret project. The project itself isn't really a secret, I suppose. Still I want it to be a surprise when it's received. I will give just a little *hint* that wool is involved. Since the wool bin was out, I decided to start a project from a pattern I've had on hand for a few months now - Church Cat, by Cheri Payne.There are vines and flowers on either side of the cat and some embroidery embellishments here and there. It will make a nice evening television project as I slowly but surely build up my quilting callous working on Amish Pinwheels. The finger injury from last month is nearly all healed, just some faint bruising left under the nail. The only lasting effect is I completely lost that callous. Doggone it! I won't complain too much about it. Hubby keeps reminding me how lucky I am there isn't a bit of scarring from the cut and I have full use of my finger. That callous will come back.

18 comments:

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Your blog always makes me hungry! You are a great cook :o) And I agree about the jiggly cranberries! Got to be from the can. :o)

Bunny said...

Oh my your soup and bread look wonderful. I am sure you will have a wonderful Thanksgiving, I always loved Thanksgiving when I lived in NY. Lots of food, friends and fun. We here in Canada celebrate our Thanksgiving in a lower key. :)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Man I would be in heaven with the soup and bread. Throw in a little turkey and I"d be great! My favorite leftover from thanksgiving is turkey on break with gravy on it!

Judy said...

I'm with hubby, completely smooth anything isn't very appetizing to my palette. I always need some chunk. Bread looks good and the Church Cat is coming along nicely!

Karen said...

The jellied cranberry sauce is our favorite also.
Is there any Cherie pattern that you don't have? I was looking at her website earlier this evening and there are several patterns that I want. I just got four in the mail today.
Your breads look so good. I want to eat at your house this Thanksgiving! Darn, you live too far away.

Catherine said...

Your house must smell so wonderful with all that bread baking!! I prefer turkey leftovers to the turkey the day it's cooked too.

Kathie said...

oh I wish I could join you for lunch today!
that soup and bread looks yummy.
Is the bread easy to make?
something I need to start doing, I love homemade bread.
the church cat is adorable.
Today is the day I shop for the food for Thanksgiving, luckily the list is short so hopefully I will be in and out of the grocery store!

dee said...

that blender is one of my favorite kitchen helpers. Your Thanksgiving sounds a ot like ours-the jiggly jelly and all. The best part of turkey is the sandwiches. Love that little kitty. It's darling.
Happy Turkey Day Libby

Niki :-) said...

MMMM the bread looks fantastic. Have a great day! niki

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

That bread looks like it's to die for!! (well not literally) Bread/rolls are my favorite food group. =)
Have you ever considered writing a book? Your writing is like poetry. The post on your grandmother yesterday was so touching. I think your prose could be put to good work in a bit of fiction. I would buy your book!
melissa

Candace said...

Oh, Libby - thanks for the soup recipe! We love asparagus and with just my husband and I there is always some left over - and a chance to use my new immersion blender! Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Everything will be so yummy!!! wish I could come over and swipe a couple loaves of that bread! :O)

We too like the Jellied Cranberry sauce in the can the best :O)...

We are having a quite Thanksgiving at home just the two of us :O) and that sounds wonderful to both of us :O)...

Karen said...

That looks so yummy - you always have such great recipes. Yup we are a jelly cranberry group as well, you just can't beat it, LOL. Now how about a slice of that bread - YUMMMM

Hugs - Karen

Julia said...

Your loaves of bread are perfect! I always end up with a few bumps on mine. hehe

Bring on the jellied cranberry sauce and leftover turkey sandwiches. Both a big tradition in our house.

Have a very wonderful Thanksgiving with your loved ones! :~)

Kathy Wagner said...

Yum Yum!
Enjoy your thanksgiving dinner...
especially the leftovers!

Wendy said...

Oh yum I love soup recipes, I'm making some chicken soup right now. The warm bread is a must to have with it. I'm a home made cranberry sauce girl, my family loves it. Have you tried using orange juice in the cranberries when your making it?.
Have a great turkey day.

Yvonne said...

Everything looks so wonderful. :)

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Guðrún said...

I am hungry after reading this post. We don´t celebrate Thanksgiving here but I would love to.