Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving was a wonderful holiday for our little family this year. We stayed tucked into our house all day with the delicious aroma of roasting turkey all around us. We ate and laughed. We ate and reminisced. We ate and played games. Then we ate and played some more. We've recently added one more game to the game closet - Dutch Blitz.
It is easy to learn, fast paced, and just like the box says, "A Vonderful Goot Game." When alternated with the Chinese Checkers and Mexican Dominoes we have been playing the last few weeks, it seems like we have a game going at the table all of our waking hours.
I didn't get out to the stores or sales yesterday. The idea of tussling my way through traffic and crowds in search of a bargain becomes less and less appealing all the time. Today was a different story. I needed a gift for a gift exchange at a party this week. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to head out to Country Loft. The gift does not need to be quilt related but they have a wonderful supply of gifty things to choose from. No one really needed to twist my arm too hard to make the trip and Hubby was open to coming a long for the ride and a lunch date. In addition to the gift, look what came home with me. A new pattern and a dozen fat quarters.
I almost made it out, but Kathy made sure I was aware of the sale - Buy 8 fat quarters, get 4 free. Who am I to pass up such a deal?
Since we were in the neighborhood, we stopped in at Rosie's, too. Again I almost made it out without buying a thing. And then . . .
I went into the room with the brushed cottons and homespuns. The bolts practically started jumping off the shelves and into my arms. Hubby and I picked these out together. As soon as the holidays are over, I'm going to begin working on a quilt for our 30th anniversary. I just have a sort of overall vision of what I want and each of these will work perfectly in that vision. I'm sure I got far more than I'll need. What doesn't go into the front can go on the back any left after that will fit nicely in the stash.
But before that, Christmas decorating must be done. All of the fall things have been put away for this year. The Princess said it looked bare. After she left for work this afternoon, I started hanging Christmas quilts. It will look much cozier when she gets home this evening.

26 comments:

Judy said...

Oh I just love looking at the picture of 12 days of Christmas quilt...Can't wait to make it! YUMMY homespuns, never pass up a room full of those!

Stephanie D. said...

I successfully resisted spending any money this weekend--so far. (Only because I haven't gone browsing online yet.)

Juliann in WA said...

Lovely fabrics. I will look forward to seeing your new quilt.

Julze said...

oh...what yummy materials! Sounds like the perfect day tome!

Andee said...

I think I will have to pick up that game..I saw it and wondered if it was fun. We love games and tonight played Five Crowns which is our favorite card game hands down. It can be played by the kids fairly young too...I have bought it for everyone I know, lol. Glad to be pointed to another good game, thanks!

sewprimitive karen said...

The game looks like fun. The fabrics are gorgeous! And you got a Saffiote pattern, yummy.

May Britt said...

How wonderful you have celebrate your thanksgiving. Playing games are so fun. I look forward to when my children are back home for christmas. Then we play a lot of games and I will see if I find a new one for this christmas.
Of course you had to by those fabrics. Love those colours. It's sad we don't get fabrics like this here right now, seems that every shop is carrying all romantic fabrics now.

Kathie said...

I ordered a few of her patterns the other day , not sure this was one of them, I wanted to order all of them but well unfortunately I had a dollar limit!
Love this quilt though.
great fabric choices...the reds are great...and I love the ones on the left they will make great backgrounds. are they a blue/grey????
Can't wait to see the quilt you start in January...
what a fun shopping day you had....any new samples in the shop that you liked? someday I will get there too. country loft must be decorated beautifully for Christmas right?

Carol said...

OMG, you never could have passed those fabrics up...they will be just perfect in your next project. Can't wait to see 12 Days of Christmas.

Screen Door said...

Great shopping -- I always say... You get more whenyou big the "Big Guy with You!!!!:

Beth said...

Ah, I see you got one of the famous little brown envelopes too! I was debating over that one, but did manage to get 3 of my own! Good job!

paula, the quilter said...

Ack! Black Friday shopping. I was going to go but I visited with a GF for several hours and gave her every back issue I had of Piecework. Then after moseying down to the indy coffee shop I frequent that is located inside the indy book store and recycling every diet book known to humankind at the book store I came back home. My wallet thanks me.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, so happy to hear you had a lovely, happy Thanksgiving. You have so much to be thankful for and that shines out like a candle in a window.
I would love to have been a mouse in the pantry and watched all that merriment! Great purchases and a fun new project, you go girl! Hugs, FInn

ROZ said...

Lovely Thanksgiving

Stina said...

A new pattern from Cheri...have to see what she have done this time... :o) And ahh...those fabrics is wonderful... and so hard to find... love them!! Especially the red ones...!!
And more games... love it!! :o)

MARCIE said...

Do you ever get home and discover that you actually have all those homespuns already? LOL! Nice little brown envelope too. I know what that means!

Kathy Wagner said...

Sounds like the perfect holiday!
I have been working with plaids lately too.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Lovely new goodies you purchased!!

We too had a wonderful Thanksgiving,,it was quite just me and honeyman... we really enjoyed it :O)...

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I LOVE those FQs you got at Country Loft! And that game looks great! I think I have to find one for the kids for xmas!

Carole said...

Love your new header! Lovely purchases! Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. The Princess was home! :o) I'm looking forward to my life being normal again! Soon ;o) Hugs!

Karen said...

I ordered The Twelve Days of Christmas pattern a few days ago. I'm anxious for it to arrive.
I am anxious to see what you come up with for a 30th wedding anniversary quilt.

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

Ah yes the irresistable draw of the homespun!! They get to the best of us my friend =) Love the ones you picked!
melissa

Lea said...

Wooooo, Yummy color plaids!!!! I went to C-LOFT couple weeks ago and They were sold out this Christmas pattern! Lucky you! :-) It's truly lovely Christmas quilt. *S*

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I just know your place looks wonderful in preparation for Christmas! Love your new header. Happy December and all the blessings that this month brings...

Candace said...

What gorgeous fabrics - and a wonderful Thanksgiving! Cheers!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

That looks like a fun game! We play Wahoo here, it's a marble game with dice on a homemade board.