Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yesterday morning we woke to our first measurable rain. It had been threatening for several days and teased us with a few drops here and there on the patio. It seems like we are forever behind in annual rainfall here, so we will take any bits we can get.
The weather seemed right for a nice big pot of something cooking on the stove all day long. So I got myself together, stopped by my polling place to vote then headed to the market to pick up ingredients for Pork and Green Chili Stew.
I adjusted the recipe slightly by substituting roasted Anaheim peppers from our summer garden and browning the pork cubes in a skillet. That extra step is well worth the time in added flavor.
To go along with the stew, I made Indian Fry Bread. I remember making this back in elementary school with my Camp Fire Girls group as part of a study on native Americans. Of course before dinner was on the table, the rain had long since passed giving way to a sunny, bright afternoon. No one in the family complained though.
Today there are plenty of leftovers in the fridge, leaving me to spend my day in the cubby working on more stockings. Hopefully I'll have a new batch of them to share next time.

14 comments:

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

libby, that soup looks divine. I can't wait for the crisp weather to get here....to make some soup.We have had one CHILI day.... and chili is what we craved.Glad you are on the mend. Been gone for over a week, so I've only caught up on your blog. So sorry... about the accident to the finger.

Stephanie D. said...

I haven't made fry bread in quite a while--might just have to do that this weekend.

The weather here's been unseasonably warm, too. My roses are blooming again, just like the cool nights and warm days we had in May. Poor confused little things!

Kathie said...

dinner looks good!!!
can't wait to see the next batch of stockings...
Kathie

Julie said...

Catching up on my favorite blogs after being away cruising on the high seas. I'm so sorry to read about your sewing mishap...but pleased to find you are mostly recovered. The stockings are another great Libby creation to add to my "I'm gonna do that someday" list along with the soap balls and rusty bells and Marcie's Christmas pattern. Your sorta Mexican/Native American dinner looks yummy. After all that cruise food I'm ready for something from the crockpot!

Candace said...

Thanks for the great recipe, Libby! Our weather in the Northwest is perfect for it right now....guess you know what I'll be making soon! Cheers!

Quilt Hollow said...

I's never heard of that bread and it looks absolutely yummy along with the pork dinner. I've got a pork loin in the crock pot today...always a happy dinner day when dinner is ready when I'm finished quilting!

Shasta said...

Ooh that looks good. I'm going to have to make some of that fry bread. I've never made any. Thanks for the recipe.

Karen said...

I have never heard of Indian Fry bread but it sounds interesting.
I made a pot of chicken enchilada soup yesterday. Yummy!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Looks yummy Libby - I have never made the indian fry bread. I think you should blog the recipe. Looks like a great bread for soup.

Hugs - karen

Julia said...

Mmmmm, fry bread, yummy!!!!! Thanks for sharing that, I think that I will be making that in the very near future. It was sooooo cold here today, so this kind of food will be perfect!

paula, the quilter said...

I bet it's too late to bring tamales, huh? The green chili looks divine.

Carin said...

looks great! The perfect meal for a blustery day.

ROZ said...

That bread looks interesting.

sewprimitive karen said...

Wow, just look at that gorgeous food.