Saturday, December 06, 2008

*fa la la la la - la la la la* The halls are now officially decked. While it can be a bit of a chore, particularly for Hubby who makes many, many trips up and down the ladder to retrieve and replace boxes from the garage rafters, the actual decorating and the festive results are always well worth the effort.
In years past, I have been decorating with a goal of having a tree in each room of the house. This year we are little cozier than before with The Princess at home. While I couldn't bear the thought of not using the trees, I had to become a little more creative in finding places to display them and give us the room we need to live .
This little tree is the original in my stick tree collection. Starting with Halloween this year, I shared the Spooky Stick Tree wall hanging by Cheri Payne. That was quickly followed up with the Christmas version. But I have been making her stick trees far longer than just this past fall. These are ornaments I painted back in 1994. They were originally displayed on a tree made from dowels wrapped in fabrics. The dowels haven't survived, but the ornaments come out every year. (I also have a spring version of wooden ornaments, complete with dowel tree in tact. I'll share those when the season is right.)This is the first year the quilt ladder has been displayed in the main living area of the house. Why didn't I think of this before?
The 'big' tree has once again found it's place smack dab in the middle of the living area - my favorite spot. We were able to find a thinner profile tree to replace the fuller one of the last couple of years. I love that I don't have to rearrange any furniture to display this tree. The ornaments on this tree are a collection from over the years. Some The Princess made, many gifts, a few that belonged to my mom, and souvenirs of our travels.
A view from the living room shows the big tree and it's shorter companion. At night when just the trees are lit, it's so sparkly and festive looking.
A closer look at the shorter tree, which usually takes it's place in what has become the 'quilting cubby.' The ornaments on this tree have all been collected in the same way as those on the other tree. The only difference is these depict animals.
This little tree is what you will see as you enter the front door. A couple of years back, I went through a 'candy cane phase.' Those little ornies still tickle my fancy.
Here are the stockings - hung by the chimney with care - and a little tree trimmed in pine cone lights.
When we first started putting things out, I wondered how we would cram it all in. Now that it's done, I really like how it turned out. Guess that means next year, I'll just have to buy some more trees and start collecting more ornaments. I still want to have a tree in every room of the house.

39 comments:

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Libby, I LOVE your decorations and your trees. Your house looks so festive. Makes me wanna drag my stuff out too. But this year I'll just have to love yours. Great job!

Wendy said...

Oh Libby, I sure enjoyed your Christmas tree tour, I love it. Today I'm dragging all the decor out and you've given me so much more enthusiasm. Thanks so much.

Milah said...

Libby, Your home is lovely! The trees, ornaments and quilts look so festive. I can't start decorating until our bathroom remodeling job is finished. Hopefully next week then I'll post some pictures. Hope you don't mind but I might borrow some of your ideas! I love a cozy home especially in the winter.

Blessings, Milah

Guðrún said...

Your little trees are gorgeous. I love your decorations and what I can see of your home.

Diane said...

While you were focusing on your many Christmas trees, I was focused on your many red and green quilts. Wow, what a collection! Your house looks great

Juliann in WA said...

Everything looks so lovely and inviting. Wouldn't it be fun to drop in on you for some hot cider?

Stina said...

Oh my Libby...I love your house with all the fantastic quilts I have found on the walls, hanging...just
everywhere ...and the lovely trees...oh my goodness...love it...:o)

Chookyblue...... said...

love all your christmas decorations

sewprimitive karen said...

Along with everything else, I love your wire basket. Thank you for showing us your Christmas decorations!

Karen said...

I have enjoyed seeing your trees and other holiday decorations. I see a bit of a quilt on the wall behind the tree in your "living area". It has an angel on it but I can't see what else. What quilt is it? Looks very interesting.

Sherry said...

Hi Libby. Everything looks just wonderful, so festive! I love all the trees & your wonderful quilts. Thanks so much for sharing.

Yvonne said...

There's not one thing that I don't love Libby! Thanks for sharing. :)

paula, the quilter said...

Thanks for the tour. I have not even started decorating. This weekend is for visiting and next weekend is for decorating because the following weekend is the annual Christmas party. Eeeps! It's too soon.

Judy said...

Oh I wish I could snap my fingers and have all mine done. I feel nothing like doing it, but I would miss the tree, so I think this year will be the scaled down version. I used to have a tree in EVERY room! It was fun and I'll get back to it one day.

You really do have a lot of christmas quilts! Meaning bigger snuggle quilts of various blocks. I'm missing those this year. Must work harder on making some in the next year. Frosty looks cool, I got him the other day but he's not coming to play this year...he'll wait for next year!

Everything looks fabulous!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I still LOVE that Holly quilt! I have got to make one. And I LOVE your quilt ladder - I want to find one someday, I've always wanted one!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Loved the tree tour...and a view of all the quilted lovelies! It all looks so nice. I seem to have lost the little feather tree I made many years ago.... somewhere in Texas probably.Your little hall tree reminded me of it. Thanks for sharing.

Julia said...

Oh my goodness, you have the most cozy, warm inviting home. I love all of the little bits of quilted goodness displayed around your home. That is my goal, to have quilty things everywhere!
Thanks so much for the tour!

Kim said...

so very cute, can you please post a pic of the hexagon wreath wall hanging to the left of the candy cane tree? pretty please

The Quilt Buddy said...

Mrs. Libby your home is always so inviting! I just want to come in stay for awhile!

Thank you for the glimpse of your home!

Cheryl said...

Your house is decorated so beautifully. Love all your trees, and the crock with the quilts in it is a great idea!! You are very festive :-)!!!

quiltdolls said...

the quilt in several pictures ?

Has holly on it & red ? It is on the ladder bottom?

Is there a certain pattern? I LOVE IT
kim
knaylor@san.rr.com

Screen Door said...

Treasures --- your home is filled with treasures.... I can't believe santa ever leaves your house after he stops by....Looks cozy. Looked at the photos several times. Find something new each time. Enjoy the season....

Knot Garden said...

all looks lovely and very Christmassy and cozy. I really like the quilt you have used on the table under the candy cane tree.

Katie said...

Thank you so very much for having me over for the virtual visit of your home in all it's Christmas glory. I so enjoyed it as I enlarged each picture. Then I made a cup of hot chocolate and did it again. Have you considered making a book with your seasonal decorations? It would be wonderful.

Carol said...

Libby your decorations are just wonderful...back in my painting days I painted those very same ornaments...I still love them.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Libby your Chrissy decorations are just so lovely, I am hoping to get my tree up tonight....thanks for sharing.

gwen said...

Many thanks for taking us aroung your festive home. The decoration looks wonderful. And so many trees. We still haven´t got any, only an advent wreath with 4 big candles, an advent calendar, and some christmas quilts. Well actually there is only the tree missing.
Your quilt ladder is gorgeous too.
Take care.

Chocolate Cat said...

Oh your home looks lovely with all the decorations.

MARCIE said...

I love going to your house Libby. Your trees looks darling and all your wonderful quilts. You must have a wonderful husband! (If you know what I mean!)

Stephanie D. said...

Oh, I love it that you have so many trees! It gives me ideas for some of the rooms I have that don't look as festive.

Not that ANY of them look festive yet--haven't had the time to take down autumn and put up Christmas. Going to be off the next few nights, so my days are planned!

Karen said...

So many Christmas trees and all your festive quilts. Wonderful! That makes for a warm and cozy Christmas.

Suzanne said...

Your decorations are lovely! I especially like the quilt ladder. I have been on a search for a nice wide worn ladder for just this purpose. Very Nice!

LBP said...

I LOVE your trees! We have gotten up three and dear son is very upset that I didn't put up the aluminum tree. I may surprise him and put it up in his room!

Blessings

Linda

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Lovely!! and look at all those pretty quilts!

Quilterin said...

Your christmas trees are adorable!

Quilt Nut said...

love your trees and decorations

kjquilts said...

Your decorations are wonderful! I love all the prim quilts! I think you did a great job finding room for everything. Merry Christmas!

Carole said...

WOW! Beautiful decorating! Wanna come over and decorate for me? I really do not have that gene in my pool! lol I think I also need for stuff! lol Thank you for sharing. Your home looks lovely!

Kathy Wagner said...

You have so many wonderful quilts around your home...so cozy and inviting! Thanks for the tour!