Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Good golly, Miss Molly - I may just have to change my name to A Lucky Girl! Yesterday, late in the afternoon, the doorbell rang. After checking the peephole and seeing no one, I cautiously opened the door to find a package on the doorstep. And even though it is the gift-giving time of year, I hadn't been expecting another thing to be arriving until much closer to Christmas. *hmmmm* This package bore my name, but an unfamiliar return address. Seems that Santa had employed an Elf in delivering this surprise. There is only one way to solve such a mystery - open that box!
Take a peek at what was inside - a stocking, being used as gift wrap - what a great idea. Now at this point I am already giggling, just a little. I now know it's from Karen - Log Cabin Quilter. Karen and I had several e-mail conversations about making stockings and patterns a few weeks ago. Looks like she has been very busy making her own batch of gift wrap stockings. Can you see something peeking from the top? Me, too. From my vantage point, I could tell that it was something deliciously quilted. I let out a gasp of delight when I unrolled it to see this wonderful wall hanging. The Princess was sitting nearby and put aside her schoolbooks to see what the fuss was about. She quickly pointed out that the girl's likeness to me is uncanny. Such a comedienne, that Princess. I'd like to point out that I have much more hair.
Now in all seriousness, I was about to become tearful when I turned the piece over to look at the back. Then the tears did come . . . . tears from laughter. Can you see right there, depicted in cotton applique, my arch nemesis - The Squirrel! Karen put so much thought into designing this piece just for me. It couldn't be more perfect. And while she said in the note card that I may coffee or tea dye it, even hang it on the fence if I like - it will remain just as she made it and it will find a place to hang right here next to the computer where I'll see it every day as I am blogging.
The generosity and thoughtfulness of quilters is just beyond words. I've said several times this week that I am becoming quite spoiled. Still it's not a bratty kind of spoiled like a child who has been given every desire on a whim, but a very heartwarming kind of spoiled that comes to me by way of some very kind and giving people. Gestures that are filled with friendship and a giving spirit - the kind for which I can't say thank you enough. The spirit of giving and Christmas is all around.
Oh, and one more thing. Look what I found out in the garage.
Looks like someone has been bitten by the 'tree-in-every-room' bug. After we decorated the house this year and placed several of our trees in one area, I was a little concerned I might have a problem getting Hubby to agree to purchasing more next year to fulfill my dream of a tree in every room. Seems that the Christmas spirit is really contagious this year.

24 comments:

Paula said...

Very sweet and well thought out gifts! Seems like someone was a good girl this year!!! hmmm, what does that say about me??? LOL Never mind!

Stina said...

Oh my gosh...Karen ...she is the sweetest of all...these gifts are so lovely... And I just love your new stocking...have already commneted on her blog how I loved it...and the little quilt...this is the most perfect little quilt I have seen...I just love it so much..so I know you must be thrilled!!! And that little rascal of yours on the back.. lol...that was a good one.. :o)

Lisa said...

Hi Libby...I love your blog and gave you an award over at my blog...please be sure to check it out!

Julze said...

Wonderful treasures and blessings!

Stephanie D. said...

So this makes you a Simply Lucky Girl, right? What a week! Christmas came early to the west coast.

Beth said...

Wow! You are just getting all kinds of treasures in the mail!

Guðrún said...

You can´t change your name now that you have that quilt with the name "a simple girl" *LOL* This is so special, so much thought put in it, even a squirrel on the back so you won´t forget about your battles!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh what a beautiful surprise! This has most certainly been your year! That girl quilt is awesome!

Karen said...

I certainly enjoyed making it for you! And I am glad that the squirrel on the back made you laugh. I chuckled to myself when I added it to the backing. One of my quilting buddies commented that she has read your blog when you were lamenting about the squirrels.

Chocolate Cat said...

Oh Libby that is a wonderful quilt and so much thought has gone into it.

Sweet P said...

How lucky to receive a beautiful little quilt! Plus a Christmas tree in the garage? Can you share? I don't have any Christmas trees up yet.

The Quilt Buddy said...

I absolutely love the angel stocking! I want one for myself! The little quilt is also sweet. Is it hand quilted? You are so lucky!

Have a good day!

MARCIE said...

Are you serious? You have a tree in your garage? Are you gonna hang little tools on it? LOL! That stocking from Karen is so neat! I love it! And the one you made Stina also! And the little Libby is precious! Look at that tiny little crow fabric! How perfect!

May Britt said...

This was really a nice adventpresent. The stocking is so cute and the little quilt is even more cute. And the squirrel is georgious :)

Red Geranium Cottage said...

What nice gifties you've received Libby. That quilt and stocking are just wonderful as is the gifts from Stina. Enjoy.

yellowfarmhouse said...

WOW love your mail, LOL. Seriously cute stocking and how sweet is that wall hanging - squirrel and all, LOL. What a sweet and wonderful surprise.

Hugs - Karen

Sherry said...

What a wonderful gift. Love the stocking & the little quilt. What a thoughtful friend. Love the tree in the garage....LOL

suz said...

What a lovely, personal gift. How lucky you are!

sewprimitive karen said...

omg the Simple Girl is ADORABLE.

Lea said...

Holy Molly!*S* Gee, you are the luckiest! Such a gourgeous gifts!!!! Yup, you might need to change your name like "Simply lucky", "The Luckiest", " Lucky-Lucky"....maybe? *LOL*

Catherine said...

What fabulous mail!! The squirrel on the back of the little quilt is perfect!

Wendy said...

You are a lucky girl this year, you must have been "good". The gifties are gorgeous and you deserve such a wonderful and sweet surprise. Can't wait to see how you decorate your new tree.

Carole said...

What a lovely surprise! Well deserved! Enjoy!

Perry said...

What a thoughtful gift Karen sent you. You are a special lady and I can see why she would send you such a unique gift. Congratulations.