Monday, December 22, 2008

Hubby and I are always fascinated with the process of making things. We enjoy watching shows on how products are made. To add to the fun, we like to try the process on our own when we can. You may remember when we made the 'Million Dollar Mustard' some time ago. So it went without saying that when I saw Martha Stewart and Emeril Lagasse making Worcestershire sauce last week, I knew what our weekend project was going to be and quickly set about gathering the ingredients.
This time there was no fancy equipment needed, but one ingredient - cane sugar syrup - was not readily available in any local market. I did find it online, but did not receive it in time to begin. Instead I remembered reading a post at Morning Ramble on how to make your own and doubled our 'how-do-you-do-that' fun.
Knowing that the simmering time is a minimum of 6 hours, Hubby and I set out early in the morning with the chopping, dicing and shredding. There are a lot of tears shed with the amount of onions and horseradish to be handled.
Here is the mixture just as it was reaching a boil.
After three hours of simmering.
And after 6 hours.
Next we strained it all. Using progressively finer mesh strainers, the sauce seemed good after three go rounds.
Then the mixture cooled overnight before being ladled into jars and processed in the canner.
Following the recipe exactly, we ended up with about twice as much as the recipe states. The amount left over after I ran out of prepared jars this morning will become marinade for the Christmas dinner roast. All's well that ends well.
Now I'm off to bake some gingerbread. I'm tired of the smell of Worcestershire sauce.

19 comments:

Paula said...

I love the find out the way things are made, and so do most of my family. I love making things from scratch. Although there are some things I won't try! Too much trouble. I have found that some things are WAAYYYY too much trouble, and I'd rather just buy it!

I think that curiosity is a trait of smart people!!! Don't you agree???

I also love to Google. LOL

Beth said...

Always an adventure going on in Libby's house! You amaze me!

Candace said...

Libby, I can just taste and smell that sauce on a good steak!
Cheers!

paula, the quilter said...

CarGuy and I like to watch that program on how things are made. How serendipitous that we both posted on a cooking related topic. That recipe card that is sticking up in the silver box (in my post) is actually a recipe for my Great-great-grandmother's gingerbread.

Lorraine said...

well done...that would be more than a lifetime supply for me!! I can almost smell it.....hope the gingerbread turns out well...every year I plan to make it and never seem to get there...maybe this year!

Judy said...

Well, you look like you had fun. I don't use it that often to go through that sort of trouble but it's fun to see your efforts.

Joyce said...

You are ambitious! I'm going to try my own laundry detergent. Today I bought the three ingredients needed. Now I can't wait for laundry day! Not!

ROZ said...

Absolutely fantastic! I can smell that sauce from here. I used to make ketchup with the tomatoes that grew in our old backyard. And chow chow, too. My canning days are over. but it was fun

Stephanie D. said...

Wow, who knew Worcestershire sauce had anchovies in it? No wonder I like it and J-Man doesn't.

Did the jalapenos come out of your garden?

Red Geranium Cottage said...

How cool is that? You are too much. Amazing!!!! I love the smell of that stuff. Probably not THAT much though. LOLOL

Quilts And Pieces said...

OK, this is something I never thought of trying to make by scratch! Amazing!

Lindsey said...

I can smell it now! Man that looks good, and I'm guessing, pretty heart healthy.
Thanks for the inspiration.
fivehealthyhearts.blogspot.com

Patty said...

so glad the recipe worked for you.
Looks like you had some fun in the kitchen.

Sherry said...

Very cool! Hubby loves to watch every "How It's Made" tv show there is...and if anyone can build something from scratch he can. He amazes me! Away from tv shows, he's out in the garage building a street rod & I'm in the house working on a quilt...LOL I love how you two worked together on this & looks like it turned out wonderful. Great team work you two! :)

Catherine said...

Wow -- are you ever ambitious! What an undertaking!

sewprimitive karen said...

Wow, that's neat. How did it taste?

Sweet P said...

Sounds super yummy! Can I come to your house for Christmas dinner?

Julia said...

You two are amazing! To think I got all excited this fall when I finally learned how to make Apple Butter. lol

Merry Christmas, Libby! May God Bless you and your family in the coming year!

Marilyn R said...

Mmmmmmmm I can just imagine what your kitchen smelled like! Yum!