Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I never get over the amount of inspiration that can be found on the internet and in particular the many blogs dedicated to quilting. Over the weekend, I found myself reading my way through my long list of favorites and found another example of that inspiration. Jane at Sew Create It shared a picture of a quilt she recently completed. A simple top made from a string of 3 1/2" strips - easy, fun and pretty, too. I left a comment saying I might just have to give it a try working from my abundant stash of 1 1/2" strips. Jane very sweetly sent back an encouraging reply and included the calculations she had done to make a 64-ish" square top from my strips.
I headed out to the storage cabinets to retrieve the box of strips. It practically exploded when I removed the lid.I needed to make my strip 4096" long. Because the contents of my box are such random sized pieces, I rounded that up to become 120 yards of strip. I stitched and stitched and stitched. Using the 'nose-to-finger-tip' measuring technique, I met my goal by late afternoon.
Here's a look at the various stages. Talk about some good, mindless sewing.
To satisfy my inner nerd, I kept track in the beginning. Starting with a fresh bobbin, it took just over an hour and a bobbin change to finish the first pass. After that I only had to change the bobbin one more time to complete the top.
Here it is - a real trip down memory lane. Strips from quilts that have been given as gifts, for charity, some that are still here with me and others that have worn out over the last 10 years.
Wouldn't it be fun to cut a strip from every piece of fabric you use during the whole year. Kind of like the rings of a tree - a real road map of your quilting year. Thank you, Jane. I love it!
My heart just about melted earlier. That puppy dog of ours is really feeling the Christmas spirit this year. Look what was found under the Christmas tree. Harper left us gift - her HippoBaby.
Is that not the sweetest thing? She's been seeing us put things under the tree and just had to get in on the action. I'm pretty sure Harper is on Santa's Nice List.
I'm not sure if I'm on the nice list, but I do know that Lisa at CandleLightQuilter was very sweet to offer me this Kreativ Blogger Award. Thank you so much, Lisa. It's very nice to know that the triumphs and struggles as well as some of the silliness that goes on here is enjoyed.I don't think I could limit my nominations to only 6, there are so many creative bloggers out there that inspire me daily. If you are reading this, I'm sure you are one them and so this award is for you.

32 comments:

Quilt Nut said...

what a great idea! love how it looks

Paula said...

Awesome idea...I love how it turned out. There may quite a few of us who make copy cat quilts!!!

Perry said...

Great idea on the string quilt. I have never been organized enough to cut my scraps into strips. May have to start doing that. That is really amazing that Harper has enough sense to put something of his under the tree. I have never heard anyone mention their dog doing something like that, lol. You have a special one, that's for sure.

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

The quilt turned out great! What a great idea!

Catherine said...

What a super idea! I love how it turned out!
Harper's obviously a very smart dog -- and likes Christmas too!

Kathie said...

what a great use of the 1 1/2" strips, I happen to have a basket or two full like that too!
I Love log cabins and keep thinking I will make a few of them as I finished one this summer and it didn't make a dent in the 1 1/2" pile! Now maybe something like this would!
Can't wait to see how you quilt it.
Do you think Harper is afraid their may not be a stocking under that tree for him?
Kathie

Stina said...

Yes I saw hers too...and I love the idea... and I must say I love your version...but you have a great "collection" of strips...;o) and that is why it turns out so good!!
And ahhh...Harper...she sure in on the nice list...:o)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

It looks amazing!! I think smaller strips are definitely more effective! I'm just thrilled that it turned out so well...and that my calculations were right *grin*

Sew Unique Creations said...

Looks like so much fun! I am drooling over that scrappy strippy quilt! Wow! I should really put my strips to good use!

Joyce said...

I love you idea of making a quilt from the year's strips. Your strip quilt is very cute.

Stephanie D. said...

AWww, Harper has the Christmas spirit, too! What a sweet girl!

One of the ladies in my quilt bee made a quilt like that--a baby quilt--and color-coordinated hers with baby colors. Everyone was all excited about it and the possibilities! She did hers in a vertical pattern. I like your horizontal layout, too.

Beth said...

What a neat idea, I just adore scrap quilts.

Juliann in WA said...

Great quilt - love the fabrics you used too. And went over to see Jane's version - this would also be a fun one to do applique on the top.

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

Awwww good doggie Harper! Dogs just might be the best thing ever, don't you think ?
AWESOME scrappy quilt!! They are always my favorite. I love the effect that so many colors and textures has on the eye. They remind me of the old days when people didn't waste a thing.

Karen said...

Your new strip quilt top has a very primitive look to it. Good idea. How empty did your storage container of strips get? My scrap baskets are way overflowing right now.
I'd say that is one smart dog!

paula, the quilter said...

Harper is truly enjoying the season and getting into the spirit, isn't she? Love the new quilt top. How are you going to quilt it?

Judy said...

Very cool top...how do those trips manage to multiply once they get contained? I think they mate in there and come up with totally new designs! LOL!

Judy said...

strips...not trips.

Why do they not have an edit?

Candace said...

How wonderful - and the fabrics look so well places it's as if you designed them to be where they are! This is a great inspiration to clean out our stash, Libby! Thanks for linking up up with Jane!
Cheers!

Idaho Quilter said...

Your sting quilt is great, I commend you on the amount of sewing that took to create. And Jane is one of my favorite reads too.

Guðrún said...

I understand that your heart nearly melt. I love that top you made.

Wendy said...

What a neat idea, I love your primitive version. Harper didn't want to be left out of the fun.

Sherry said...

I love that strippy quilt idea & your top turned out great. What a smart doggie Harper is...on the nice list for sure!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Harper! That is so cute! What a good little doggie she is! I LOVE your new strippy quilt!

Grazia said...

A great idea realizing a string quilt with scraps!!!!
Libby,
I wish you a Merry Christmas!
Grazia

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Love that strip quilt! and how cute is that that harper put her toy under you guys tree!!!

The Quilt Buddy said...

Hi Libby!

I know that it has been a LONG time since I commented on your blog, but life is crazy around here!

First, thanks for always finding us great blogs to read! Second, YOU have made another great quilt! Wow, what a great way to reuse what we have, just like they did in the past.

Merry Christmas to you, the Princess, and Harper!

BTW- What do you think about all the rain that we got down here? I'm glad for the sunshine today, but we are still indoors because we are sick.

Finn said...

Hi Libby, I love the string quilt. What a great idea to deliberately cut a strip from each fabric we use for a year....a kind of quilt calendar journal...think I'll try that.
I was amazed at the amount of 1.5" strips you had!!! And what a great quilt it made. Love the gift from Harper, so very, very sweet. Big holiday hugs, Finn

ROZ said...

I gotta get a handle on my strips of fabric!

Kathy Wagner said...

It's wonderful Libby...what a great idea to use up scraps!
Isn't the quilt blog experience just so inspiring?!?!

DebMc said...

What a neat idea for a quilt. I love the idea of 'recording' all the fabric I touch during the year.

Nice to find your blog!

Patti said...

I just loved this idea when I saw it on Jane's blog. Your's is just as striking! My strip drawers are all pretty much overflowing - the only one that isn't is the 3 1/2" drawer. I definitely need to do some strip quilts this coming year. Time for me to dust off the 3-ring binder that I've put so many of Bonnie's patterns into. I will definitely keep this quilt in mind also.

I know what you mean about a walk down memory lane. I sure have that when I'm working on my postage stamp quilts. They are a great way to see exactly what was in my stash from the time I started quilting until 1992. And since I'm regularly adding to the drawer every time I cut up scraps there are also newer pieces. It's so much fun to sew with them!