Monday, December 29, 2008

It didn't take long for me to reassess my plan to get just one more quilt made in the last days of this year. It's not as if I don't feel like I've accomplished enough, nor is the family going to be cold without another available quilt before the ball drops in Times Square. So instead, I opted to begin a project that has been rolling around in my head for the last few weeks.
There is no pattern or sketches for me to use as a guideline, just some random ideas that are floating around that I'd like to incorporate into a quilt. Hubby and I will celebrate our 30th anniversary in 2009 and I'd like a quilt to commemorate the milestone. I looked through my supply of patterns and books, searched websites of my favorite designers, and kept an eye on blogs for inspiration. The conclusion I came to is: The quilt I want to make should be unique to us and that I won't be able to find in a previously published form.
I'm going to start by making blocks of different designs and sizes, lay them all out and see what I get. These are the fabrics for the first set of blocks.
And the second set of blocks.
I probably won't share much more than fabric selections for some time, at least not until I get something that looks like it's going to become an actual quilt.
Let me finish with a quick and easy dinner idea. Keep in mind that you have to like strong flavors - garlic, kalamata olives and anchovies. The Princess turned up her nose a little the first time she saw the ingredient list - now it's one of her favorite dinners. If you keep the ingredients in the cupboard, you'll always be just minutes away from a quick satisfying dinner. The hardest part is waiting for the the water to boil.
Salt and boil water to cook your pasta. I use a one pound box of linguine. While the pasta is cooking, in a large saute pan combine one tin of anchovy fillets, 2 or 3 cloves of minced garlic and a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Cook over medium heat - the garlic will brown a little and the anchovies will sort of dissolve. Drain the pasta and add to the saute pan - mix in a little bit of the pasta cooking water, if needed. Plate and serve. Garish with kalamata olives and some fresh grated Parmesan cheese and a nice green salad on the side. You're family will be full and you'll be back in the sewing room in just a wink.

15 comments:

Catherine said...

It's going to be fun to follow along as this quilt is created!

Candace said...

Libby, I can't wait to see what your wonderfully creative mind comes up with - and what a great occasion to do a quilt like this - 30 years of marriage is indeed a milestone that needs a special celebration! And the pasta sounds so good - Mr. Squash will really love it!
Cheers!

Judy said...

Yea...anchovies. I'll leave that all to you guys. Can't wait to see the quilt in a few months.

Guðrún said...

I am sure the ideas that are floating in your head will make a beautiful quilt.

Julie said...

I'll be watching closely for your 30th Anniversary quilt to take shape. I'm sure it will be a beauty. The pasta dish sounds so yummy. I love me some kalamatas & anchovies. Of course if you slather anything with garlic I'd love it!

Anne said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with for the quilt. But, I think I'll pass on the anchovies and olives. LOL

Kathie said...

its fun just making blocks you like and then making it fit into a quilt
I agree 30 years deserves a quilt that is unique!

dinner sounds yummy to me!
Kathie

Lindsey said...

I'm Ok with the anchovies and the olives! I love a quilt with heart behind it. Way to go...can't wait to follow along. Thanks for the inspiration.

Juliann in WA said...

Well the fabrics are beautiful so how could you go wrong? The dinner sounds great too. I am putting anchovies on my shopping list.

paula, the quilter said...

You're teasing us with the upcoming quilt. Dinner sounds good. Hey, when did you change your header.

Stephanie D. said...

Do I foresee a little applique on this quilt?

The pasta dish sounds great to me, and I'd probably have to add some cherry tomatoes and some onions, but I don't even have to mention it to see hubby's reaction--he's not a lover of anchovies, garlic, or olives.

He's no fun.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Ahh, I"ll take all that fabric in picture #2 off your hands!!!!!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Like the selections in no. 2...what ever the blocks look like it should be lovely!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Yum... now I'm hungry and I just finished breakfast! ;) I can't wait to see your next creation. Happy New Year, Libby!

ROZ said...

Happy New Year! Interesting to see how the special quilt develops