Friday, December 12, 2008

Not all holiday traditions are handed down from the generations. Some are picked up along the way because a friend or neighbor does something that seems meaningful or fun that you want add to your family's celebration. Others just begin to evolve right before your eyes when you didn't even realize it was happening. Before you know it, you are looking forward to something year after year.
For Hubby and I, that thing is a trip to Disneyland to see it decked out in all it's holiday best. It started for us 10 years ago. On our 19th wedding anniversary we were celebrating being married half of our lives, we gifted ourselves with annual passes to Disneyland. I had always heard that the park was beautiful at Christmas time and couldn't wait to see it for myself. It really is wonderful, not even the smallest of details is overlooked. We have gone back in December every year since.
We always stop at the Candy Palace on Main Street USA for a peek in the window. There is always something yummy being cooked up. Caramel pecan patties - I'd love to take a whole tray home with me. No matter what the season, I visit this little statue of Pluto at the circle in front of the castle. I close my eyes, rub his nose and make a wish. I can't tell you the wish or it won't come true.
Frontierland is where you'll find Santa, his reindeer and Mrs. Claus' kitchen. Mrs. Claus sells cookies to decorate. We each decorate a cookie, laugh when our tongues turn colors and get the biggest kick out of watching little kids decorate their cookies.
That first year, we purchased an ornament for our tree as a keepsake. Last year, it took a tumble and shattered on the floor. There is a huge selection to choose from - here is the new ornament to take its place. I really like his crooked carrot nose.
The park is a wonderland in the day, but it really comes to life when the sun goes down and the lights are turned on. Here a day and night look at Sleeping Beauty's Castle.
And just a few of the trees that are all around.
It's A Small World gets a complete holiday make-over. With all those shimmering lights, even the song doesn't seem so annoying.
There was a full moon out last night. Hey! Are those mouse ears?

27 comments:

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

In the year 2000 we spent Christmas at Disney World in Florida. They have this whole city of lights! It is like nothing one has never seen or walked through. We always remember that :o)

paula, the quilter said...

I didn't realize I was starting a tradition by putting this cheesy styrofoam Santa on the bathroom vanity. But one year I didn't do it and TheKid asked "Where's the Bathroom Santa?" So now Santa is in the bathroom even tho TheKid has grown up and moved out.

GARI said...

We took our children to Disney World for Christmas one year and had to go back the next. It isn't a tradition but we try to get back during a Christmas season as often as we can (450 miles away)

Marilyn R said...

Thanks for the trip to Disneyland! I loved the photos!

Beth said...

Now you have me wanting to go! The last time I went was a couple of years ago, I took my daughter for her birthday on Halloween, it wasn't crowded at all, and everything was decked out for Halloween. I haven't been for Christmas in a long time.

Judy said...

Looks pretty in the park!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Hey Libby, Hunka and I are going on Christmas Day. I can't wait. I've never been for Christmas. I love your Mickey ornament. And that Mickey MOON. WHOA!!! Very cool.

Carol said...

How very, very fun! Nothing more magical than a Mickey Christmas...and yes I believe that's a Mickey Moon.

Catherine said...

Wow -- those pictures are wonderful. I love the one of Sleeping Beauty's castle at night.

Guðrún said...

Beautiful, just like a magic world. Is Disney world all over USA?

KCQuilter said...

Traditions are what make the world go round. Love reading about yours!!!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Cool tradition for you and hubby. I love those type of things around the holidays - those special events that help make our holiday special. Love your new ornament and that moon is awesome.

Hugs - karen

Chocolate Cat said...

We had a trip to the States for a wedding 12 years ago and top of my list was a trip to Disneyland, it was everything I wanted it to be and more, I was not disappointed at all! Now I want to see it all dressed up for Christmas!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I wish I could see disney land (or world) at xmas! How cool is that! Heck, I love disney any time of the year! My great-nieces are getting a trip from santa this year (so they don't know it yet). I can't wait to see them xmas day and hear all about it. They are leaving 2 days after xmas! Is that cool or what!

Julia said...

How fun! What a wonderful tradition! Boy, those chocolatey nut things look divine!

sewprimitive karen said...

Love the moon with mouse ears lol.

MARCIE said...

Oh Libby, I forgot to say that when I saw the little Simple Girl quilt from Stina I thought how perfect it would be for your blog picture! And there it is! So cute!

kjquilts said...

What a wonderland! I've seen Disney at Christmas and it is spectacular. I hope when the Tootie Babies are old enough we will take them there. I'm not too sure about that moon though! LOL!

I love your pillow from the previous post. I'd love to visit your home to see all the quilty goodness!

Sweet P said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate the Christmas season and your anniversary. The Mickey Moon photo is cool.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love this post, it's truly a Magic Kingdom at this time of year!

Wendy said...

When my youngest daughter comes home for Christmas, I'm sure she'll point out the decorations that are not out. They both have their favorites and I never know until I leave something out. That's a fun tradition to visit Disneyland...hmmm maybe that would be a good one to start.

Katie said...

What a treat for the child in all of us. Wonderful pics.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

ok they work for mouse ears for me :O)...

Looks like a fun time!!!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Just caught up on your blog....it seems Christmas has come early to you....loved the trip to Disneyland. I just scrapped a picture of when we took our Children .... 28 Years ago! Time has flown. I would so love to do a holiday trip there. What a fun Family tradition you have.

Perry said...

Love these pictures. I have never been to any of the Disney parks and this was a pleasure. What a great tradition you have going.

Carole said...

What a wonderful time! thanks for sharing!

Patti said...

Sure does look like mouse ears LOL! Nature is helping celebrate! I would never have thought of going to Disneyland for Christmas - now it is obvious to me why so many people do so. I wonder if I could ever get my husband to agree. Only catch is not seeing the kids and grandkids for Christmas. Now if only we had a fairy godmother we could take everyone there for Christmas once the grandkids get big enough!